Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you risk having your haircut at a Beauty School?
Yes, what a value! 3 23.08%
No, they would scalp me! 6 46.15%
Only if I wanted a buzz cut 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:33 AM

10,398 posts, read 572,873 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on what service you are looking for, for example, I bring my 11 year old daughter into our local Beauty School for Highlights every 6 mos or so and it has turned out just fine. Of course, my daughter isn't quite as fussy as an adult, but the price is more affordable and it is still better than what I could do. It's one thing to do your own hair, and quite another to mess with someone elses. I, myself, went to Beauty School 30 yrs ago while I was still in High School, and we had a small, but regular clientele. It was exciting (and frightening), but we looked foward to those appointments. It really helps to practice on other people, instead of just on other students. You need to simulate a realistic work environment as soon as possible to be successful .
You have to expect that you may be in the chair longer because you know that experience is absent, but you will probably get a more conscientious operator who will take his or her time and not rush. I can't tell you how many sloppy haircuts I have had because the hairstylist had to rush through it. This is why I left the profession, I didn't think it was fair to give each client only 20 mins, like my boss expected. I didn't feel it was the right thing to do and I can't imagine they were happy either. This is a great opportunity for folks who cannot afford the high salon prices, who understand how the system works and can get the services they need. Still, a haircut is probably the most risky and then Perms. In most facilities the instructors are on the ball and pay close attention, in case they have to step in to take over or intervene. Then there are those nervous people who should stick to a Professional Shop that they trust, and who know their hair... But remember, anyone can get a Bad Haircut, even in an expensive salon ....So, weigh the risks....a wash & set for your Grandmother isn't the same as a trendy new Haircut....You need to be satisfied and feeling good about your hair on the way out the door, NOT running for cover......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 08:43 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,013,902 times
Lol, I didn't see an option for, "Yes, and boy did I cry!" I did go and get a hair cut at a beauty school when I was young, broke, and a friend was a student. I went in thinking the friend would cut my hair but the instructor wouldn't let her touch my hair and directed me to "Some Guy"

I was so excited to finally not be huge, ugly, and pregnant and was looking forward to looking nice for a party. I spent money on a hair thingie to celebrate my new long hair.

Anyways, I asked for a small trim and we agreed on about an inch despite "Some Guy" wanting to take off more. Well I was told to take off my glasses so I couldn't see what was going on and I'm sure ya'll can guess what happened. I walked out with my hair just below my ears and "Some Guy" happily telling me that my hair looked so much better and would grow out.

I went home and cried over my hair thingie which would now not go in my hair without me looking like Pippy Longstocking. I was crushed; I had spent what little money I had on a hair cut for a hair thingie that no longer would work.

I'm older and wiser now and would have never allowed "Some Guy" to cut my hair and would have left if my friend couldn't cut my hair. Also a $10 hair thingie wouldn't put a dent in my pocketbook like it did back then. All I can say is that if you go assert yourself and be aware these people aren't fully cooked as hair dressers and like "Some Guy" can tend to ignore what the client wants because they think they know better.

PS. The instructor kept encouraging the guy to trim off more, (yes damaged ends, but I was 20 and I wanted the length), even though I said I only wanted an inch trimmed off.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:50 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,466,481 times
I did. Took forever. Turned out terrible.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,732,840 times
My girl went because she knew someone there. Not only did it take about 2-3 hours, it came out horrible to the point she went out same day to buy extensions. Her friend did a decent/good job. But the instructor came and said "oh no no no" and proceeded to fix it. Well she fixed it all right...and it still isn't right. She made my g/f look like a damn boy. Her hair was soooo short. We were disgusted.
NEVER again

Old 10-09-2008, 09:36 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,955,074 times
I used to go to beauty schools when I was a teen/early 20s and got great hair cuts. Granted they took forever, but the savings was worth it.

On the other hand, I've gotten incredibly bad hair cuts (am still trying to grow one out now) from high priced salons in my area. And my favorite is when I switch salons and the new person doing my hair tsks tsks about how bad the last hair cut was. Um, yeah, thanks there master of the obvious.

In my experience, most hairstylists can do one or two styles and if you ask for something other than those one or two....well good luck with that. I would love to find someone with a little creativity, vision, and individuality.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:03 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,072,780 times
I usually never let anyone touch my hair but my regular hairdresser because it's waist length and I want it longer and she "gets it". She won't chop it all off like a lot of people probably would. So anyway, I went last week to get my nails done and the lady who does my hair wasn't there (they work at the same place). All I needed was to get my bangs trimmed a little because they were in my eyes and I couldn't see. So this other lady says she could do it for me. She's been there forever, so I said okay. I had my eyes shut while she cut them because I didn't want little pieces to get in my eyes. So, who do I look like now??? PEEWEE HERMAN!!! Yep - my bangs are now WAY above my eyebrows! It's just not a good or balanced look with waist length hair! It's like I have two different things going on with my hair now! Ugh!!! I just have to wait it out and NEVER, EVER let anyone but Yvonne cut my hair!!! I would have been better off cutting them a little myself. Wish I did.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,653,432 times
I wish there was a 'mixed bag' option. I used to go to a school all the time, and sometimes I left satisfied and other times ---eek! The last time I went to a school I left looking like a roman centarion....not a good luck on an 8 month pregnant lady.
Sooo, if you can afford it, go to someone who has already made all her mistakes on other people.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:47 PM

20 posts, read 58,795 times
I got a hair cut at an Aveda school. It took a long time, but was dead cheap and turned out nicely. The student had to ask the teacher to come check her progress every few minutes, so the likelyhood of something going too terribly wrong is pretty minimal.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,462,390 times
I went to a local beauty school and looking back, it was horrible. I requested highlights and left as a platinum, bleached blonde! It took probably 4 hours, and I didn't even have time to get my hair cut (I went home and had my mom do it!). I think you generally get what you pay for and am much more protective of my hair these days! Although, I remember my mom telling me that there is a REALLY good beauty school somewhere in Philly, that is supposed to be amazing...can't remember!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:14 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,675,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I was driving down the street today and there was a sign that said $1 haircuts.... today only. I just had my haircut three weeks ago, so I did not use their services, but I did stop the car to see what it was all about.

It was a Beauty School and they were looking for models for basically free haircuts for their students experience. I wondered how much they could ruin my hair anyway, being a man.

They told me that they would have the dollar promotion once a month to bring in customers, normally it is $6.00. STILL CHEAP!

I currently spend about $30 a month on haircut. Maybe I will try to beauty school. Should I?
Not if you value your hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care