Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:51 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times

Advertisements

I am in my fifties and color my hair red- not bright, more of an auburn. It is probably 75% grey now- but I am only guessing. My hairline is also receeding and more and more I think that I look like Conan O'Brien.

I was wondering if I could do a heavy reverse highlight and let part of it grow out in the natural color. Would this look funky? The red really makes my complexion look better and I get compliments on the color, but I can't stand my hairline. (That said, if I let it grow out, I'll still have the hairline issue, but would look more like....I don't know, Jack Nicholson- LOL!)

Alternately, do they make things like extensions for bangs? Other options in artificial hair pieces? I don't want to go full blown hair piece- maybe just two small swatches that I could put on when my hair looks particularly Conan-like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 02:57 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
If people compliment you on the color, then it's a good chance that it doesn't look natural. It may look "good" but if it looked natural, people would seldom mention it because they wouldn't notice it. At some point, at your age, you will decide to let it grow out. After a while, the colored hair and the all-too-obvious aging face doesn't match. A reverse frosting or highlight is the best, and easiest, way to go.

Good luck with your decision. It's a rough one to have to make. I was lucky in that I was a natural ash blond that was lightened. The grey just blended in as the highlights grew out. I thought it would never get finished

Old 12-13-2008, 03:21 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,932 times
Hi. While I know you can't stand the hairline, fake hair just doesn't work. At some point, we just have to accept the fact that we age. I'm female and I think there are oodles and oodles of really attractive bald and balding men out there.

I also think you need to get a really good, blunt stylist and see what he or she thinks. They also have the added advantage of actually getting to see you.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:10 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,554,284 times
I am curious as to what kind of style you wear...do you wear bangs or push them off of your face? Is your hairline visable with your style? I would lighten it. I think a softer/lighter color looks great on aging people. Do some strawberry blonde highlights over your red...It would look great.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:56 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,823 times
What is "reverse highlighting?"

Old 12-13-2008, 07:27 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
maja...instead of bleaching out the hair, as you would for highlighting, you get them darkened or grayed or whatever you need for your particular color. Same technique, just different stuff used with the idea being that you want to match the roots that will be growing out.

It makes the growing out process a lot less noticeable.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Hi. While I know you can't stand the hairline, fake hair just doesn't work. At some point, we just have to accept the fact that we age. I'm female and I think there are oodles and oodles of really attractive bald and balding men out there.
LOL, I find bald and balding men attractive, too, but I'm a woman

I think I will begin to add ashy highlights and increase gradually. I do not find grey hair unattractive, my mom's is beautiful. But mine is at that dishwater stage, from what I can tell- not really grey, not really brown, just blah....

Dannielle, I know what you mean about a softer color. Once I mistakenly got the wrong color and I felt like Lucy

Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,690,790 times
Well, I went grey at the tender age of 18. I too went with the 'natural auburn' because my own previous haircolor (before the grey) was mouse-brown. The color looked so good with my skin tone and eyes that I never got a compliment on it - people assumed it was my color. (It was - I bought it, therefore it was mine!)

This past spring, I finally said the heck with it and let the grey grow out, keeping it short til the roots matched the ends! LOL My stylist advised me to NOT highlight or drab it - and she was right. What grew out was soft and vibrant. She did recommend a rinse to make it more silver and less yellowed, but otherwise we left it alone.

I agree - don't go with false hair. Check with a good creative stylist - a YOUNG one, not the ones our age who think that all older women need a 50's beehive! Those young girls fresh out of school know all the new tricks of styling for emphasis and de-emphasis - and are enthusiastic about 'designing' your hair to fit your face and lifestyle, once you tell them what you want and let them know you aren't afraid of their ideas because they are young! Mine was 24, tattooed, and always had the most interesting ideas - and three different colors in her hair, very chic. She wouldn't do that to me - but once she realized I didn't want to look like her gramma, she was great fun to work with!

Old 12-13-2008, 09:01 PM

Here's a pix. Ideas?

I know what you mean about a good stylist, SC. I had a great one, but he was $65 a cut.... and for the time being I am having to be lower maintenance!
Attached Thumbnails
50 YO's hair issues-headshota.jpg  

Old 12-13-2008, 10:07 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,554,284 times
I don't think your hairline is bad at all..

I would take it short. Really short. Then change up your color. Add highlights for depth. Dimension will help your hair look thicker...

Go with a cute little pixie just like these photos...

Your hair is almost there...Again, highlight take the length a little shorter and add some layers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care