Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 01:19 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times

Advertisements

I just grew my hair out for the first time in my life. It's been a year and two months. I did this so I could put my hair in a ponytail and not have to have it cut every week, or fuss with it.

I used to have short hair and I would put gel in it. I have sort of thick curly hair.

I got it relaxed to take the curl out. I thought it would take it all out, but I was wrong. I still have too much curl for the look I am going for. I am a guy so I am clueless on what to do. I don't want to put gel in it because it would look greesy or wet. I sort of want the natural look. Would a straightner be what I am looking for? Someone told me to use that. If so do you know of any affordable good brands and where I could purchase one.

Or is there any sort of hair product out there that will straighten your hair a bit without making it look greesy. I would like to find a product that would take a little body out of it as well, if that is at all possible...

Thanks for taking the time to read this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:08 PM

809 posts, read 3,568,565 times
You need to use a blow dryer and a round brush to blow out your hair. Then a flat iron to further smooth it (because unless you're an expect blow dryer, it probably will need more straightening.

I recommend the 1 inch CHI flat iron. You should be able to get one for around $75-90. Don't waste your time on a cheap flat iron. Make sure you get a ceramic one.

Also, I'd recommend you use a product that is a heat protectant spray to help prevent damage from the dryer and flat iron.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Have you considered Japanese Hair Straightening?

Old 06-16-2009, 04:13 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
A year and two months is too long to go without a hair cut.

Men with long hair only look good when they take really good care of their hair. Go to the hair dresser and get a decent trim and advice on what products to use!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I love it when guys grow their hair out. My husband tried but he gave up mid-way... if he would have just gone a few more months he would have gone past the awkward stage. It's a very hard thing to do, I think, for men to grow their hair out. There are so many stereotypes and expectations and judgements being passed around. Good for you!

My aunt did the Japanese hair straightening thing and it was pretty amazing. Too expensive for me to ever try, but her hair looked great until it began growing out. Then she had major roots that looked extra frizzy in comparison to the unnaturally straight treated section of hair. But while it lasted, it looked really super straight, sleek, and really pretty. I guess if you have the time and the money you could just go every other week or so (depending on how fast your hair grows) to keep getting treatments.

I have heard good things about the CHI flat irons, too. I personally don't have the time to mess around with flat irons, though. They can take a long time when you have thick hair.

I have very thick, very long (almost past my waist now), somewhat wavy hair. If I let my hair dry naturally, it stays wavy, but if I comb it straight right out of the shower (with a thick-toothed comb) and blow dry it, it stays mostly straight except towards the ends.

I use Matrix brand Biolage shampoo and conditioner. I really love this brand as it keeps my hair soft and silky, and I don't have "the frizzies" like I used to get with other brands. Another brand I like sometimes is Pantene... but if I use that for too long it seems like my hair gets greasy. So I sometimes switch back and forth between Pantene (which costs less) and Biolage (which works much better but costs more...). I've had people say that the greasy thing happens when you use too much of a product or don't rinse properly. But I'm pretty careful and aware of both of those things... so I think it's just the way Pantene works with me.

Something that really helps keep my hair really straight and shiny, for those days when I have time to care about it , is a product also by Matrix called "Instacare solutionist". It's a spray, leave-in treatment. After my hair air-dries a bit (after being combed), I spray this in, then blow dry straight. Your hair has to be damp for this to work - not wet, and not dry. If you spray it in while it's wet, it won't soak in and doesn't work. If you spray it in while it's dry, it gets all goopy and greasy and funky. You have to towel dry, and then air dry your hair just a bit... comb it out a bit... then when it's at the half-way point in drying... spray this in (not too much) and then dry with a blow dryer. Sometimes I even spray the product on my hands and work it in that way.

I love my hair dryer. I just bought a new one recently because my old cheapie one that I bought at Target three years ago died. I spent a little too much on my hair dryer, probably, but it's the best one I've ever had! It's the T3 Evolution. I honestly don't understand how it works... but it dries your hair with this new sort of technology involving ions or something and your hair isn't frizzy after you blow dry it, it's soft and smooth. I wish I had bought one of these years ago.

Best hairbrush? Mason Pearson!! It'll last forever, and you'll use it everyday, so don't let the price bother you so much. We're not talking Target/Walmart/cheap quality plasticy brushes here. They are really good brushes especially for long hair. It's a classic!

I think wavy/curly hair can look really good on guys. Perhaps instead of trying to make your hair do something it doesn't do naturally... go to a hair salon and have a stylist help you find products that will enhance what you have naturally. I know Matrix also makes a spray-in type conditioner that works with curly hair. You wash, air dry, spray this in, and then air dry or blow dry. It keeps the frizz under control and adds shine. I think that would look really nice pulled back into a ponytail.

Anyway - good luck! Long hair just takes a little getting used to... forming new habits... I cut all my hair off a few times and it took a long time getting used to not having long hair. I even shaved my head once! It was a great experience, but I'll never do that again!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
And sorry for my long-winded post!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 AM

809 posts, read 3,568,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
You need to use a blow dryer and a round brush to blow out your hair. Then a flat iron to further smooth it (because unless you're an expect blow dryer, it probably will need more straightening.

I recommend the 1 inch CHI flat iron. You should be able to get one for around $75-90. Don't waste your time on a cheap flat iron. Make sure you get a ceramic one.

Also, I'd recommend you use a product that is a heat protectant spray to help prevent damage from the dryer and flat iron.
To the OP: In my previous post, I didn't realize you were a man and just wanting to have your hair up in a ponytail. The flat iron probably isn't necessary. I don't know any men that use one, but then I don't know any men with long hair so never mind.

Trying a smoothing / straightening product (sorry I can't think of one to recommend) and apply on wet hair and blow dry your hair until it's completely dry. If you let it dry naturally, I image it will curl up. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2009, 04:29 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I love it when guys grow their hair out. My husband tried but he gave up mid-way...
I totally have a thing for long haired guys... Luckily my husband is one of them...hehehe.

On another note, I would suggest using as little heat on your long hair as possible. I have very thick, wavy hair and I try to use straightening irons / blow dryers as little as I can. The heat damages the cuticle and can be drying over time. Be gentle to your hair!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:15 PM

85 posts, read 317,101 times
Be careful not to overprocess your hair with products and using hair equipment. It doesn't matter how long or wavy your hair is if it's damaged. Then, it just looks bad. I have fairly long, thick hair with natural wave so to make it manageable I tend to either flat iron or use an ionic curler. With you being a guy, I'm pretty sure that's not the route you want to go though
What I would do is definitely invest in a deep conditioner like Infusium 23 and use it about once a week, esp. if you relax your hair. TIGI Bedhead has some fairly good products for thick hair, and they sell straighteners as well. I got mine for about 65 dollars, if you really want to purchase one.
Occassionally I will go to my stylist and have her thin out the hair, but don't do this too often as it can be a little rough on your hair. Once every 3-6 months should be okay. Also, I don't know if you do trim, or if it's been 2 years since any scissors have touched your hair but...you really still need to get regular trims. This will help maintain hair health and make it more manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care