Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:30 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,569,257 times

Advertisements

OK, I am older (65) but when my hair gets mid-back and longer the ends get really dry and dead and stiff. What makes it worse is my hair is really a pretty silver/gray and the ends will get to be a light yellow-brown (really not pretty), plus, stiff and dry. You can feel where the healthy hair is and where the old, dead hair is.
My question is: Is this normal for everyone's hair? I assume it is, but how do you "cure" it and get it back to normal? Or is it best just to cut it off once it gets past mid-back?
I got so disgusted yesterday I cut 3 inches off my ponytail, so now it has all healthy hair. But I said to myself that I am giving it 2 months like this and--if it gets brown, dry and stiff again--I am getting it cut into a short style. I would like my ponytail which is thick, wavy and coarse to grow long and lovely, but this dry/stiff/yellow-brown color is a drag and stops me.
After watching Nick Arojo on "What Not to Wear" tv show, I see he always suggests never growing your hair past mid-back. I wonder if the reason is that everyone's hair gets just too old and dry/stiff past this length.
Anyone have any information and advice about this? Seems to me this is the 3rd time I've cut it off...and my chances of growing the ponytail to my waist is getting slimmer and slimmer unless I can tolerate the ugly hair. If my hair were, say, brown all the way down, it would be easier to handle; but the yellow-brown is just darned ugly and noticeable...well, 3 different people told me to cut 3 inches off my hair within the last 2 weeks (one being my son), so it shows...darn it!
Advice? Information? If this happens to everyone's hair (the dead hair that gets stiff/dry at mid-back) I realize my chances are non-existent to grow it longer....and I will then throw in the old towel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 AM

Gee, I can't be the ONLY one on this board with this problem or question....can I?

Old 05-10-2010, 01:18 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,328,204 times
This is the oldest part of the hair so you have to pay special attention when conditioning. Do you put conditioner on the ends of your hair? Also, sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners are much gentler on your hair.

I would suggest giving your ends a really good conditioning to keep them looking healthy. As your hair gets longer, it also gets heavier so perhaps you should try some layering and see if that helps the overall look as well.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:44 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Cut off the yucky part, and trim your hair more frquently so the ends don't split and get coarse. Each person has a different "flash point" for hair length - yours might be as you described. I found out where mine was a few months ago when I found I could sit on my hair - I cut back about 4 inches after that.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
This is the oldest part of the hair so you have to pay special attention when conditioning. Do you put conditioner on the ends of your hair? Also, sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners are much gentler on your hair.

I would suggest giving your ends a really good conditioning to keep them looking healthy. As your hair gets longer, it also gets heavier so perhaps you should try some layering and see if that helps the overall look as well.
OMG, I condition, put coconut oil and rosemary oil and whatever else I can find on the ends...that's why this is so frustrating.
If my hair got so long I could sit on it, I'd be thrilled...but it gets so dry and stiff as described before.
Since my hair is a silver gray (and, not to sound like a jerk, alot of folks do say it's pretty and every hairdresser has), so I used that purple shampoo you get at Sally's.
Now, insofar as laying, that is an excellent idea and I think the next time it starts getting icky again (within the next 3 months I suspect since I cut it so short this time) I will do that. I was contemplating that this time, and wish I had done it instead of cutting it off, but you get those scissors in my hand...well, I just go crazy. Cut, cut, cut...it's like crack to me.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Cut off the yucky part, and trim your hair more frquently so the ends don't split and get coarse. Each person has a different "flash point" for hair length - yours might be as you described. I found out where mine was a few months ago when I found I could sit on my hair - I cut back about 4 inches after that.

What i s"flash point?" The time where your hair gets old? Sorry to have to ask, but I have never heard that before.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,554,284 times
Yep, you need to cut it off...and make sure to trim your hair often. Trims are the key to healthy looking long hair... Just an 1/2 inch every 6 weeks will do the trick...

You can also use bluing shampoo to counteract the yellowing...

Do you blow dry? or use any other heat styling tools? Do you smoke orlive with anyone that smokes?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:15 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,328,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
OMG, I condition, put coconut oil and rosemary oil and whatever else I can find on the ends...that's why this is so frustrating.
If my hair got so long I could sit on it, I'd be thrilled...but it gets so dry and stiff as described before.
Since my hair is a silver gray (and, not to sound like a jerk, alot of folks do say it's pretty and every hairdresser has), so I used that purple shampoo you get at Sally's.
Now, insofar as laying, that is an excellent idea and I think the next time it starts getting icky again (within the next 3 months I suspect since I cut it so short this time) I will do that. I was contemplating that this time, and wish I had done it instead of cutting it off, but you get those scissors in my hand...well, I just go crazy. Cut, cut, cut...it's like crack to me.
I don't cut my hair that often....actually it's been over a year since scissors have touched my hair. I don't like getting my hair cut and after the last disaster, I'm over trying to find a good stylist to cut my hair. So I've been going it alone w/out cuts. I have found L'Oreals new reconstructive conditioner (green tube) to make my hair feel soft, moisturized and stronger. I love the stuff! Good luck!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Yep, you need to cut it off...and make sure to trim your hair often. Trims are the key to healthy looking long hair... Just an 1/2 inch every 6 weeks will do the trick...

You can also use bluing shampoo to counteract the yellowing...

Do you blow dry? or use any other heat styling tools? Do you smoke orlive with anyone that smokes?

Nope, no tools, no blow dry, no smoke in the house.

I have to trim my hair the 1/2" every 6 weeks or else it gets stiff, yellowish/brownish on the ends, split-ends and just yucky. No wonder it takes forever to grow it out.
Wish I were so lucky as the gal who posted just ahead of this one who never has to cut her hair.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,554,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Nope, no tools, no blow dry, no smoke in the house.

I have to trim my hair the 1/2" every 6 weeks or else it gets stiff, yellowish/brownish on the ends, split-ends and just yucky. No wonder it takes forever to grow it out.
Wish I were so lucky as the gal who posted just ahead of this one who never has to cut her hair.
Or maybe trim it every 2 months... Just regular trims will do the trick. What about cutting in some long layers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care