Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,889,632 times

Advertisements

I used to color my hair a lot. But now I'm down to 2 times a year (I now stick to #54 Light Golden Brown; Revlon Colorsilk). Light golden brown is the right shade for me. Everyone loves it and prefers it better too.

But I used to darken my hair a lot (from dark brown or brown-black shades) for the last 5 years until I stuck with light golden brown. I had a Bettie Page phase at the time.

And I was once a bleached blonde for 7 years (used to bleach my roots every 2-3 months). I quit doing that 5 years ago and went darker until now.

I like Revlon Colorsilk (it's cheaper, but does a great job on my hair), Nice & Easy, and Garnier Nutrisse (when it comes to hair dye brands). When I had bleached blonde hair I had used Born Blonde bleaching kits and toners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:12 PM

27,357 posts, read 27,411,236 times
I always do that at home. These days though its only dark brown, because it seems to lighten at the ends a lot so just to touch up. But back in 'the day' I used to do many colours. Black, blonde, maroon, red. And have pics of all of them. But because of the job now, cant do the 'wild' things now.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:37 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,420,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I always do that at home. These days though its only dark brown, because it seems to lighten at the ends a lot so just to touch up. But back in 'the day' I used to do many colours. Black, blonde, maroon, red. And have pics of all of them. But because of the job now, cant do the 'wild' things now.
That sounded like me............You name the color and I had it

I too do it at home now. Doesn't take that long and looks the same as when a stylist did it.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:36 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,350,023 times
I prefer going to a salon, and for my hair, it's worth the price that I pay. If I do it at home, it washes out in two weeks, but salon color stays in for eight. I have a great guy that's been doing my hair for eight years, and I won't let anyone else touch it. But, unfortunately, I lost my job. and have to tell him today that I won't be able to afford him for a while. I'll have to do it myself, and will probably use Natural Instincts. My natural color is dark brown w/auburn highlights, but it's now light brown with blonde highlights.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 AM

836 posts, read 3,384,478 times
I color mine every couple of months.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:59 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,087,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
I color mine every couple of months.
Same here....but I have no grey ...my natural color is a mousy brown...I color it black.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:01 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
I just started up again after having a horrible reaction to dye at a salon a few years ago. I switched to a henna product that I used for 2 years, every month or so, just to keep color in and the grey at bay. Then I decided to do a home test with Nice N Easy and had no reaction so I went for it. I used Light Brown and only left it on for 10 minutes the first time because I was still scard of having a reaction, but that went so well that 2 months later I did it again and left it on for the full time. Now I'm going to try the Root Touch Up (after doing an allergy test of course) to see if I can get away with using that instead of doing an allover color. We shall see.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,056,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I prefer going to a salon, and for my hair, it's worth the price that I pay. If I do it at home, it washes out in two weeks, but salon color stays in for eight. I have a great guy that's been doing my hair for eight years, and I won't let anyone else touch it. But, unfortunately, I lost my job. and have to tell him today that I won't be able to afford him for a while. I'll have to do it myself, and will probably use Natural Instincts. My natural color is dark brown w/auburn highlights, but it's now light brown with blonde highlights.
I live in an area where the water is really awful for hair - color bleaches out very quickly. I have found that the L'oreal Ever Pure sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner is EXCELLENT for not only helping color last much longer, but it also keeps hair smooth and shiny. My hair is thick and wavy and long, and has a tendency to totally frizz-out if I'm not careful... so this stuff has been like a magic potion for me. I get all kinds of compliments on my hair now. And it smells wonderful as an added bonus, my husband loves it! He's been sleeping with his face pressed up into my neck so he can smell me all night long. lol

In addition to the shampoo and conditioner, too, there is a leave-in conditioner, too. Hmmm see if this link works...

Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,056,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I just started up again after having a horrible reaction to dye at a salon a few years ago. I switched to a henna product that I used for 2 years, every month or so, just to keep color in and the grey at bay. Then I decided to do a home test with Nice N Easy and had no reaction so I went for it. I used Light Brown and only left it on for 10 minutes the first time because I was still scard of having a reaction, but that went so well that 2 months later I did it again and left it on for the full time. Now I'm going to try the Root Touch Up (after doing an allergy test of course) to see if I can get away with using that instead of doing an allover color. We shall see.
I had a really bad reaction once to hair color at an Aveda salon. It surprised me because I thought an Aveda salon would use more gentle/less toxic products. But it was awful. I've always colored at home since. I usually use L'Oreal Excellence Cream with really nice results. I just have to be careful because for some reason their shades turn out much darker on my hair than I think they are intended to be. So I generally choose a shade lighter than what I actually am going for, and it's usually just right.

Another thing I often do... is that because my hair is so long and thick... when I do an all over color, I have to use two boxes of color. A stylist once shared this trick with me: use a slightly lighter color for the top half of your head/hair, and a slightly darker color for the bottom half of your head/hair. Nothing too extreme (unless you like those extreme styles), but just a difference of a shade or two. This will create a more natural looking color overall for your hair as the top half of our heads are generally exposed to the sun more, resulting in hair on the tops of our heads being a shade or two lighter than the hair underneath. I do this and it's great. I love it.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 AM

541 posts, read 2,139,312 times
My hair grows super fast. I wear it short, so end up getting a cut every 4-5 weeks and color it at home each time. I don't have a lot of gray yet, so don't know how well that will work later on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care