Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:59 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how many people color their hair at home and how often they do it? my hair grows really fast, but I don't want to overdo the whole coloring thing! I could not afford to go to a salon for the touch ups..it would break me because my hair grows so fast. I really hate the look of the gray roots showing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 01:00 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
Do you color your hair to be lighter or darker?

Old 09-14-2009, 01:43 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
about the same color..as close as possible, but now my natural color(if it was showing) would be gray!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:36 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
About every 2 months.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:42 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,818 times
Just colour as needed.

My mum is allergic to hair dye and she used to buy the $12 hair dyes and only mix tiny amounts of the dye instead of using the whole pack every time.

It worked well - but I've never tried it - it seems too messy.

I colour my hair when the greys get unbearable - about every 10 weeks.

I hate spending the money - it's sometimes as cheap as $6 sometimes expensive as $15 - I would never waste money at a salon, where a colour is at least $45 and upwards.

Also, my husband cuts my hair for me - my 9 year old stepdaughter made me promise she could cut it for me next time :P

So she will.

I'm not fussy.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I color my hair every 3-4 weeks. I am a redhead so that doesn't help as it washes off pretty quickly.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Just color when you can't stand the roots/grey anymore. Some people can tolerate it longer than others.

If you buy some good shampoo/conditioner made especially for color-treated hair, your color will last longer. Also, the kind of water you have will make a difference as well. For some reason in places where there is flouride in the water, the hair color seems to last much longer. If they treat the water with chlorine, it strips color out pretty bad. Get to know what kind of water you have... you might consider getting a showercap and washing your hair less often to allow the color to last longer. They have hair powder now that allows you to "clean" your hair without having to use water and champoo/conditioner. You just gently rub it in and it gets rid of the excess oils and brushing it out helps remove dirt - and they smell good, too!

Also - you don't have to color the whole head every time. You can do the whole head of hair the first time, then after that just touch-up the roots. You can go a long time without having to color your whole head of hair. Roots are naturally darker than the rest of your hair, so this helps it look more natural, too. You can also just do the top part of your hair... grab the top half as if you were going to do a half-pony tail and just color that bit.

Condition your hair really well... coloring dries it out and you don't want frizzy hair. You want nice shiny silky hair.

And one last thing - to avoid brassiness look for "ash" tones.

Have fun!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:49 PM

754 posts, read 1,923,010 times
Natural Instincts - I think it is Clairol or Loreal. But, Natural Instincts is the name and it is non-permanent haircolor. The browns should do nicely. I color mine about every three weeks because it washes out in 28 days. It all doesn't wash out in 28 days but, most of it does. For gray you have to leave it on for about an hour and it will wash out faster with Gray hair. The color has a shiner in it and really conditions your hair. I think you may like it even though it still smells a bit.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:33 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,782 times
I haven't used this item, but most brands do root touch-up kits, such as this one:

Clairol.com : NICE 'N EASY ROOT TOUCH-UP COLLECTION

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,468 times
I color my own at home. I use Loreal Preference and I really like it. I color it brown, but a shade or so lighter than my natural color. I can go at least 3 months before I have to color again. I don't have much gray at this point, just a few scragglers, so I could see that as time goes, I may need to color more often.

Coloring doesn't seem to dry my hair out. I also blow dry and use a straightening iron. I only wash and do this whole routine every other day, so I think that helps keep it's moisture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care