Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times

Advertisements

For years I have had a short haircut, but now I am tired of it and want to grow my hair out. The problem is I am dealing with very thick, heavy hair. I know it is a blessing, but it is also a curse when trying to figure out how to wear it. Does anyone have ideas about shoulder length styles for this hair type and do I need to keep trimming it to grow it out or just let it grow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
You can have a stylist thin it out as it grows to keep out the bulk.....in order to figure out what style fits you, we'd have to know the texture of your hair (curly, straight?)...shape of your face...etc.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
You can have a stylist thin it out as it grows to keep out the bulk.....in order to figure out what style fits you, we'd have to know the texture of your hair (curly, straight?)...shape of your face...etc.
My face is oval and I have a slight natural wave. I actually like my hair, but it is heavy!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:25 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
I feel your pain! I had short hair for years and started letting it grow out a few years ago. Getting the back grow out was the worst! I had my hair cut into a bob and as it grew out, I would take less and less off the ends until it stated taking on a longer look. I have thick hair and it's naturally curly so it's hard to find a style that works because I don't like to wear my hair in it's natural state. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:58 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Go to someone who is good with naturally curly hair and layers. As for trims...start checking it once its over 2 inches long. Also just feel the hair close to the scalp compared to the ends. If the ends feel dry at all, get em trimmed If you see one split end, get a trim.

I have fine wavy dense hair. I like to keep the back shorter as I grow out my sides. Kinda like an angled bob but I don't have severe structure to it.

When I grow my pixie cuts out (like your pic) i let the sides kinda go long like a ziggy stardust sort of thing minus the extra long "party in the back" mullet.

Once you hair is past the chin its probably a good idea to get bi-monthly trims at least unless you have super strong hair.

As for how to wear it...Well I love thin headbands, fabric headbands, scarf wraps, deco bobby pins to pull it away from the face in a sorta soft vintage style. I also like to wear soft buns or loose braids.

Your face is so nice and balanced you could get away with so many looks. Experiment!

It helped me to think of what worked best visually if I picked based on architecture and design shapes/colors meshing with body shape and makeup color choice. Before I just liked everything! LOL

And now I am wondering what you would look like as a deep carmelish blonde with low lights. Have you changed the color with length?

Old 02-15-2010, 11:21 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
I have very thick, wavy hair and just recently cut about 4 inches off to have it bobbed again. My stylist is amazing and will do what you want but also throw her own twist in there to make sure the style fits your face and hair type. She did what is called a textured bob. The underlayer of hair is much shorter and choppy. The top layers are longer but layered. The back is also shorter than the front, which can be called a swing bob. Guess I have a textured swing bob. I absolutely love it, but it is a pain to keep off my face when I'm sleeping. This is the photo I took with me to my appointment. Jennifer Nettles Pictures - 46th Annual ASCAP Country Music Awards - Arrivals - Zimbio

Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I brought in a Jackie Kennedy picture for my hair cut. Not this one, but I like it:

http://lisawallerrogers.files.wordpr...nt-kennedy.jpg

Old 02-16-2010, 12:18 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I brought in a Jackie Kennedy picture for my hair cut. Not this one, but I like it:

http://lisawallerrogers.files.wordpr...nt-kennedy.jpg
Very classy! Jackie was a beautiful woman.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,879 times
you could braid it if you want it longer get extentions or if you like colorful stuff then get beads to put on the braids

Old 08-07-2015, 01:08 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
Just grow it! Wear it up and forget about it for a bit,,soon it will be long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care