Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:07 PM

57 posts, read 222,380 times

Advertisements

I really feel the need to comment on the pedestrian and crosswalk situation at the Oceanfront, especially as another pedestrian was struck by a car this morning (thankfully, she is ok as far as I know).

Virginia Beach has got to have the most random, who knows what's going on crosswalk situation I've ever seen in any city.

The situation at the timed crossing signals is not the issue. Everyone understands that, even though they may choose to ignore it, pedestrians cannot cross when the walking signal is red. And cars must yield when the signals give them the right of way.

The huge confusion seems to be at the crosswalks on Pacific which have no pedestrian signal or traffic light. Law states that cars must come to a stop and yield for pedestrians that are in the crosswalk. In other words if you are coming down Pacific and spot a pedestrian in the crosswalk about 1/3 of the way across the street you must slow down if you can do so in a safe manner and yield to the pedestrian, whether they are on your side of the road or not. The problem is these laws are not enforced at all. Since they are not enforced, people fly right by pedestrians that are as far as the median. Sometimes groups of pedestrians are huddled there, in the middle of the road, at night, with car after car whizzing by. I've even seen some people lay on the horn when pedestrians are walking in front of their car when the pedestrian had stepped foot off the curb on the other side of the road in a manner which gave the driver plenty of time to come to a very comfortable and safe stop. The arrogance and ignorance of these drivers is unbelievable.

The signal-less crosswalk doesn't mean pedestrians must wait until there is no car within a 2 mile radius to walk across the street. It means as soon as you see a pedestrian physically step off the curb into the crosswalk, you must make a judgment whether you can safely come to a slow stop or not, and if you can, you must do so and yield to the pedestrian.

Since we have an environment in which motorists hardly ever yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, things happen all the time like this morning. One lane yields to the pedestrian, but the car in the lane next to them going the same direction isn't really thinking about what's going on, or thinks the car at the front of the stopped lane is yielding for cars so they can turn, and they slam head on into the pedestrian which they could not see until they were right in front of them.

Pedestrians, whether you are local or a tourist, please be aware of how bad the situation is here. If you are jaywalking or walking against a red signal and are hit, the law will not side with you, even if you are injured. But also be aware that even though you are legally crossing the road in a crosswalk and one lane of cars has slowed to yield for you, the lane next to them may have a driver barreling down the road at 50mph completely oblivious to the fact you are coming across the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 06:10 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Really that's the law? I had no idea. I figured you were supposed to wait until the road was free of cars to cross. That's why you're supposed to look both ways.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM

57 posts, read 222,380 times
Once the pedestrians feet are in the crosswalk (standing on the curb doesn't count), any oncoming cars must yield. Obviously, cars must be given safe stopping time, so both the pedestrian and the oncoming cars have to kind of use their best judgment. Pedestrians can't expect to just step into the street and hear screeching of brakes. But if the car has time to safely slow and stop, they must yield.

Now, as a driver, I'm not going to slow down or stop if I know I'm going to pass before they get to where my car would be (cars would be backed up left and right), even though technically I guess I'm supposed to. But if I can gauge that they will be walking in front of me at the point I am going to be at the crosswalk, I will slow. I guess I'm just more incensed at the cars who whiz by pedestrians hanging out at the median, because nobody will stop for them.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:24 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
People in the HR area are bad when it comes to crossing streets. I yelled numerous times at people that just crossed the road without looking. Yes, I'm paying attention, but literally there have been HUNDREDS of times where I would be driving, watching the pedestrian and see them not even look both ways... they just walked out into the road either looking into the sky, or at their phone, etc.

Until the pedestrians get some common sense, things like that will continue to happen.

LOOK before you cross. If you can't make it, DON'T CROSS!

As a pedestrian, I don't care what the pedestrian crossing law is, I'd rather be alive and wrong than dead and right. If I have to wait another 5 minutes to cross the street safely, so be it.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 10,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
People in the HR area are bad when it comes to crossing streets.
I agree. What really trips me out is how people cross one side of the street, and stand in the middle of the double yellow line, with their children no less. I see this on a daily basis.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:13 AM

161 posts, read 685,151 times
I was unaware of the amount of people getting hit by cars at the beach until my friend's car broke down and we had to ride with a tow truck driver back and he told us. I've noticed it is a problem around Pacific and didn't know there was such a law. haha

Do you think it's more of a problem because there are a lot of tourists under the "I'm on vacation so I can let my guard down" mindset? I've always been curious about that.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:22 AM

9 posts, read 20,644 times
I lived in Va. Beach for 25 years and this has always been a problem at the oceanfront. The mother of a friend of mine from Charlottesville was very seriously injured while trying to cross Atlantic Avenue. She's never been quite the same physically, but got a good settlement from her lawsuit. This kind of thing is prevalent in all resort places that I've ever been to. People just need to look out for one another.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:41 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,824 times
I never had much of an issue driving down Atlantic as I have Pacific.

I guess with Atlantic the road is more open and it's easier to see a pedestrian blindly step off the curb.

But with Pacific, the cars are parked along the road and it's harder to see a pedestrian dart into the street until it's too late.

I also can't count how many times I've seen mothers and fathers push their stroller blindly out into the street first before they emerge from behind the parked car. I mean how can you put a child in danger like that!?

Old 08-21-2010, 04:57 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
I never had much of an issue driving down Atlantic as I have Pacific.

I guess with Atlantic the road is more open and it's easier to see a pedestrian blindly step off the curb.

But with Pacific, the cars are parked along the road and it's harder to see a pedestrian dart into the street until it's too late.

I also can't count how many times I've seen mothers and fathers push their stroller blindly out into the street first before they emerge from behind the parked car. I mean how can you put a child in danger like that!?
I agree...people don't THINK! Keep in mind, that it's not just people who live in HR, but from all over the country!! People in general act stupid when it comes to their own agendas of crossing roads or driving down them.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,653 times
Default Crosswalk laws

I had no idea that the laws state that cars must stop. I have lived here in Virginia Beach for 37 years and I just now became aware of this law. I seriously doubt that many people are aware of this law. Now that I know I will be looking out and abiding by this law on Pacific Avenue. Today a woman with her elderly mother was in the middle of the the two south bound lanes of pacific avenue flagging for me to stop. I didn't know what the heck she was doing! She then showed her anger at me for not stopping. I now know she was right and me wrong but I would never endanger my Mother like that! Too many people will not stop so until they put up some signs stating the law(and I think the city should) or some signs with flashing lights that indicate pedestrians have the right of way, I would wait until it is clear both ways. Geez lady drive your Mom to the beach it is free parking everywhere in the winter for God's Sakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area