Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:54 PM

21 posts, read 48,685 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm considering a move to the Newport News area to attend the Medical Careers Institute and would sure appreciate any advice related to such a move. Cost of living compared to other areas, best areas for housing (renting), weather/climate, crime etc.......

Also anyone who is or has attended the MCI please chime in on your experiences there as well.

THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 12:33 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times
Not to sound harsh, but why on earth would you want to go there? Go to a community collage for a lot less, and get a degree or certificate. MCI is a rip off (think ITT tech). The credits don't transfer, and you'll have a lot more debt than income. "Schools" like MCI/ITT tech have over flooded the market with job seekers, and they are doing a disservice to the professions they claim to train you for by over filling the pool of applicants. This drives down the wages graduates earn because of an abundant supply of workers. Stay away from for profit schools. I have a family member who got sucked into MCI. It was over 6000$ a semester. Think about it!!!!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Well, OK Spazkat, I'll take your advisement under consideration. Problem being that there's limited schools that offer the degree I want - Physical Therapist Assistant. But thanks.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:26 AM

Here's one at out local community collage. I'm pretty sure it's offered at a lot more community collages as well.

Link

Old 08-08-2010, 03:48 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Not to sound harsh, but why on earth would you want to go there? Go to a community collage for a lot less, and get a degree or certificate. MCI is a rip off (think ITT tech). The credits don't transfer, and you'll have a lot more debt than income. "Schools" like MCI/ITT tech have over flooded the market with job seekers, and they are doing a disservice to the professions they claim to train you for by over filling the pool of applicants. This drives down the wages graduates earn because of an abundant supply of workers. Stay away from for profit schools. I have a family member who got sucked into MCI. It was over 6000$ a semester. Think about it!!!!
I went to the PN program at MCI's VB campus and it did what it was intended to do: I got my PN license and I'm working as a nurse now. Yes, it was very expensive, but it did offer night courses so I was able to work during the day. MCI does have matriculation agreements with some local colleges (INever looked at schools outside of the area) so courses are transferable.

I disagree with the low wages statement: wages are a function of the area you're in, as well as the profession. MCI isn't "flooding" the market, quite the opposite: we started with 38 in our class, we graduated seven.
I start a job tomorrow, as a Practical Nurse in Alaska, making around $55,000 a year. I think I did pretty damn good going to MCI.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:21 PM

There must not be as many LPNs in AK compared VA. Here they are lucky to start at 40K. The OP was looking for a PTA program. TCC offers a program that is tens of thousands of dollars less.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:26 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
There must not be as many LPNs in AK compared VA. Here they are lucky to start at 40K. The OP was looking for a PTA program. TCC offers a program that is tens of thousands of dollars less.
Don't get me wrong: if the OP can make the hours that TCC has then I would say go, by all means. MCI offers the benefit of night classes for those of us who had to work full-time and go to school.

Lucky to start at 40k? Hell, I was lucky to start at 30k in Hampton Roads. Salaries there just plain stink. I could have made more had I been willing to work in a nursing home but that just wasn't going to happen.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:45 PM

Wynternight, I hope you love AK. I want to move back there someday. Well to Anchorage anyway.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:47 AM

FYI, the PTA program at Tidewater CC does not offer evening classes. The advantage of the "for profit" schools is that most don't require an additional years' worth (or more) of classes in order to fulfill their pre-req requirements. They have you take a test such as Accuplacer, Math and Wonderlic, and once you pass you're on your way to studying what it is that you want. No need to waste a year or more taking classes that most likely don't pertain to the degree that you're seeking.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM

7 posts, read 11,869 times
MCI and ECPI are ridiculously expensive. They're also known as degree mills. They'll rush you through with 5 week semesters. Stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area