Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM

8 posts, read 22,956 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Norfolk (still looking for the perfect place to live) and do not know much about the area. We are a lesbian couple and we have a five year old who will be in kindergarten in the fall. Is any part of Norfolk safe, nice and family friendly? Are there any good public schools or should we look only at private (any suggestion would be great). Will our family be treated fairly in the area? Thanks so much in advance for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 02:35 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,852 times
I'm not homosexual, so I can't comment on the experience of being so in Norfolk. However, I will say based on my experience and the experience of friends, Norfolk is a generally tolerant city. Intolerance exists everywhere, but that is not how I would describe Norfolk overall.

Yes, there are family-friendly areas of Norfolk. I recently made a "safety map" of the city, which could help you out some. Any area shaded green is considered safe:

Norfolk Safety Map - Google Maps

The public schools in Norfolk are not usually considered "outstanding." When I lived there as a kid, my mom would drive us to Virginia Beach to attend school to avoid going to the schools closer to home. Although I know a few people who grew up in the Granby High school district, as well as Maury High's district, and they had normal experiences there. I'm not sure which elementary and middle schools are in those districts though. And I don't know much about the private schools in Norfolk.

I hope this helps a little. And best of luck in your move!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:51 PM

9 posts, read 13,797 times
Hi,
Im a Norfolk native and like xGrendelx stated Norfolk is definetely a tolerable city. I have quite a few lesbian/gay friends and Ive never really heard them mention anything about troubles encountered from others. As far as schools..I will also agree Norfolk doesnt have the best public schools, but they damn sure arent the worst. I actually attended elem,middle,high, and graduated college in Norfolk (ODU) and Ive had no problems ever. If you look at a lot of statistics Virginias education system overall has very favorable rankings so I wouldnt too much worry, if you choose based on your childs needs. If private school is something that you really want expect around 7-10k annually (norfolk academy,ryan academy,norfolk collegiate,ghent montessori). As far as locations in Norfolk you pretty much get what you pay for and thats overall. Where you want to stay depends on how much you are willing to pay...places to consider would be
-Ghent (downtown Norfolk area) great schools but a tad more expensive
-Ocean View/Bayview area closer to the beach most areas are developing, but Id avoid the streets starting with "Bay"..
-Azalea Gardens area located off East Little creek, close to military bases
-Larchmont--located off Hampton Blvd close to Park Place..great elem schools
-Granby high school area off Granby street but I wouldnt go as far as Wards Corner which is the intersection of Little Creek Rd and Granby Street.
Be cautious of a lot of new homes in areas claiming to be up and coming some areas are still a little rough (Huntersville, some areas of Park Place, some areas of Ocean View, and campostella area which most residents consider Chesapeake but by the state is considered South Norfolk..Berkeley area)..I hope this helps if you have more ?? please feel free to DM me
-Ciao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area