Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,726 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the Newport News area for a job offer. We are both in our mid 20's and are looking for a good area to live in for a couple of years before purchasing a house. I have read a lot of negative comments about Newport News on many other posts and am hoping that there are some more positive comments out there. We would like to find an apartment around 1000-1200/mo range. We enjoy the outdoors, and would like to be near a park or somewhere that is safe to bike and run. We do not have any kids, so school systems are not a concern. I appreciate any help that is provided!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 AM

53 posts, read 187,679 times
Mariner's Park Apartments Newport News, VA - Apartments for Rent in Newport News Virginia
good area

Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,563 times
Whatever you decide DO NOT move to the area they consider the bottom in NN. Its exactly that. I would recommend you do Hampton or the "good" part of NN. Anywhere numbered Martin Luther King or near the Monitor Marrimac RUNNNNNN and dont stop running until you either in Hampton or across the bridge. LOL!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:31 PM

86 posts, read 295,171 times
$1000-$1200 can get you a REALLY nice apartment in Newport News. Look around the Kiln Creek/Patrick Henry Mall area. That's pretty much the center of Newport News. You can find a nice apt in the Newport News City Center for your price range. You can save yourself money and find really nice apts for $900 in the area.

Downtown Newport News or "the bottom" like leavemealone says is pretty ghetto. BUT there is nothing there except the Shipyard. All city offices and major retailers have left that area. Downtown is pretty isolated now and there's no reason for anybody to venture out there unless you work in the Shipyard.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 AM

44 posts, read 107,145 times
Great advice! Definitely stay Norts/West of Mercury, and away from the numbered streets. Kiln Creek/Hidenwood/and many other nice developments exist. Many different perspectives in this forum - coming from rural PA, I've been here for 13+ years, and haven't had a problem with NN/Hroads. Some people have to complain about everything - just take their advice for what it's worth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area