Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 13,620 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone that lives in Va Beach and works in Portsmouth that can please tell me what their commute time is in the morning and afternoon? I am most concerned about the traffic situation at the I264 downtown tunnel between Norfolk and Portsmouth. I know traffic can be a nightmare there. Does anyone know the periods of heaviest traffic (morning and afternoon)? I will be commuting from VB to Portsmouth daily. My schedule is approximately 7am-4pm, but I may be able to change it from 6am-3pm if it will reduce my commute time. I need to make sure I allow enough time for commuting and childcare arrangements. Thank you in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 09:57 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
I don't do that route during rush hour, but I do believe you'll be going against traffic so it shouldn't be much of a problem at all (and those times are good times to go, anyway)

Old 05-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Thank you Coconut1. I hope you are right. My concern is that I'll be with all of the traffic going into and out of the shipyard and naval hospital. Maybe it won't be as bad as I am imagining.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,666 times
I used to live in the area, and all I can say, I definitely don't miss the traffic. Va Beach to P-Town..... Expect at least a 45 min commute.

For an alternate route: take 464 towards Chesapeake from Portsmouth in the evenings.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:11 AM

Thank you Emeraldgirl. I appreciate the advice.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
I used to live in the area, and all I can say, I definitely don't miss the traffic. Va Beach to P-Town..... Expect at least a 45 min commute.

For an alternate route: take 464 towards Chesapeake from Portsmouth in the evenings.
I could have sworn 264 was:

Morning: backed up Portsmouth to Norfolk/VA Beach
Evening: backed up from Norfolk/VA Beach to Portsmouth

No?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I could have sworn 264 was:

Morning: backed up Portsmouth to Norfolk/VA Beach
Evening: backed up from Norfolk/VA Beach to Portsmouth

No?
I could be mistaken. Though, I have taken 464 before for an alternate route to VB from Portsmouth. However, it may not be the most direct route.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,084 times
Default need for input

I am interested in hoe your experience regarding your question below is going. I am contemplating commuting from VA Beach or Suffolk to the Naval Medical Center and would appreciate any information you are willing to share regarding your experience so far. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absentminded22 View Post
Is there anyone that lives in Va Beach and works in Portsmouth that can please tell me what their commute time is in the morning and afternoon? I am most concerned about the traffic situation at the I264 downtown tunnel between Norfolk and Portsmouth. I know traffic can be a nightmare there. Does anyone know the periods of heaviest traffic (morning and afternoon)? I will be commuting from VB to Portsmouth daily. My schedule is approximately 7am-4pm, but I may be able to change it from 6am-3pm if it will reduce my commute time. I need to make sure I allow enough time for commuting and childcare arrangements. Thank you in advance for your advice!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
I live in VB and go to the shipyard. Anytime before 6:30a, you will miss the shipyard and naval hospital traffic at the tunnel and it's about 20 min.
Back to VB before 3:30p is pretty good unless there is a tanker with combustibles where they stop the tunnel traffic, then it can be quite a backup. When that happens, I take the interstate around to Chesapeake and take the VB exit or military hwy up to Greenbriar and jump up on the interstate.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
I used to live in VB and commute to Ptown for work and the Naval Hospital for school and can safely say that it sucks. It's a backed up nightmare morning, afternoon, and evening. There's really no other way to put it, taking any bridge-tunnel in HR is sucktastic. The area needs another crossing and a ferry to relieve traffic there. I don't miss it one little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area