Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:35 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,967 times

Advertisements

We have just bought a condo on Chicks Beach (Ocean Shore Drive) for weekends. Is this a fairly safe area? What are some great places to eat/drink or shop that I may not know about? One last question: How is the Harris Teeter nearby (I know there's not one in Lynnhaven, but like 15 minutes away)? Is it as great as the ones in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 12:40 PM

35 posts, read 110,863 times
They call it "Redneck riviera"; and this from most who live there anyway. Congrats nevertheless! Alexandar's on the Bay, Zia Marie's, etc. are in the area.

Hope you like it!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:16 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
We have just bought a condo on Chicks Beach (Ocean Shore Drive) for weekends. Is this a fairly safe area? What are some great places to eat/drink or shop that I may not know about? One last question: How is the Harris Teeter nearby (I know there's not one in Lynnhaven, but like 15 minutes away)? Is it as great as the ones in NC?
Good for you!! Very popular area with the locals!! It has been a little slow lately, so I hope you got a good deal ; ) If I were looking for a second home, like you, it is exactly where I would look. I have not used that Harris Teeter, but we have one out by me and it is very good. It isn't Ukrops!! But then nothing is, right?

Shelly

Old 08-06-2007, 10:35 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoot View Post
They call it "Redneck riviera"; and this from most who live there anyway. Congrats nevertheless! Alexandar's on the Bay, Zia Marie's, etc. are in the area.

Hope you like it!
That is soo funny! I have never heard Chick's called the "Redneck Riviera". I have however heard the Panhandle of Florida called that which is where I am moving in the Fall. I will be moving to "RR" to another!hehehe! I would have to say that the beaches on the Gulf are so beautiful! Beautiful white sugar sand and Emerald green waters! Can't wait to move!

I love the Chick's beach area by the way! Neat little beach community.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the helpful info. I went to the inspection yesterday and scoped out the area and it seems like a great community. We can walk to some great restaurants and bars and even Starbucks. The view (15th floor) of the bay and bridge is amazing. And yes Shelly, we got a great deal. Bad time to sell, but great time to buy!

Old 08-08-2007, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 6,461 times
You've got to try Alexander's on the Bay. Wonderful food and nice atmosphere - better after tourist season is over though - easier to get in to. Enjoy the new place!

Old 01-26-2008, 01:25 AM

24 posts, read 209,981 times
Chick's Beach is a great area! I love the Hot Tuna restaurant on the corner of Shore Drive and Great Neck Road. I also really like Bubba's and Chick's Oyster Bar to sit outside and eat fresh seafood. Havana (Cuban food) on Great Neck Road is close by and really good. Plenty of seafood restaurants are very close.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:21 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl79 View Post
Chick's Beach is a great area! I love the Hot Tuna restaurant on the corner of Shore Drive and Great Neck Road. I also really like Bubba's and Chick's Oyster Bar to sit outside and eat fresh seafood. Havana (Cuban food) on Great Neck Road is close by and really good. Plenty of seafood restaurants are very close.
My Fiance and I loved going to Bubba's and Chick's. We also loved One Fish Two Fish on West Great Neck. I miss that area of VA Beach, I think that is the best area in VA Beach in my opinion. It is not real commercialized like the Oceanfront and it is just a laid back little beach community. I miss the good seafood too............I have not had a chance to find a great one where I moved to which is right on the water so that surprised me.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:16 AM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We practically live at Chicks. I love the buffalo shrimp. We can have a few drinks and walk home. Bubba's does a great Sunday morning breakfast (great mimosa's). My favorite thing to do on a warm afternoon is sit on the deck at Dockside with a beer and watch the people coming in from fishing on the head boats. There is one woman in particular who goes like every day and cracks me up. We tried Alexander's and liked it a lot. Also tried Lynnhaven Fish House on Christmas Eve, which was spectacular. We have been wanting to try One Fish, Two Fish and Hot Tuna.
I am so glad we chose that particular area. We looked in Rudee Inlet, but the jet noise was unbelievably loud. I have no complaints.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 PM

132 posts, read 537,549 times
I enjoyed my time living at Chick's Beach. I lived right off of Pleasure House Road, and walked a whole 4 blocks to the beach. I loved every minute of it. If I were to move back to VA, I would go right back to this spot.

-Angel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area