Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkfloridasink View Post
curious - what's your friend's last name?
You go to Green Run Right? If I told you that it would totally be an invasion of her privacy, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 14,699 times
Default Student that graduated from Green Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbehson View Post
Welcome to Va Beach. I am a teacher at Kempsville High School which neighbors Green Run in attendance. I'd be very careful with what happens at Green Run. It is arguably the worst of 11 high schools in Virginia Beach. If your children are ok at seeking positive influences, they might be "scared straight" and learn from others stupid actions. You will find lots of pregnant girls there, probably 50% minority, 20% drop out rate, and a few fights a year. Compared to NYC it is fine. Compared to other schools in Va Beach, its a problem. Kempsville isn't the greatest either, but it still is considered to be decent. I have also taught at Princess Anne (ok, better than Green Run, similar to Kempsville) and Landstown (kind of sketchy, mor Filipino gangs than black or white gangs, drug problems, minor fighting, probably a little better than GR).

Good luck. Stay alert

I honestly think that what you said was rediculious... I graduated from green run in 2006, I wasnt prego, and i didnt drop out as you can see. You talk about green run being bad where look at where you teach at? Your school is infested with roaches, you gym can barely keep up with the times and you have had the worst students to ever gradutate there. If you are a teacher you need to build up the rest of the schools and teachers as well and not make yourself to see like its all better than another!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 14,699 times
Default GRHS student

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl79 View Post
Green Run is one of the worst schools in the area. Frank W. Cox High School is probably the best public high school in Virginia Beach. First Colonial High School, which is nearby, is also good.
Okay so Cox is better than Green Run? Yea right, u school has one of the biggest drug problems to ever hit the area. The only reason it doesnt get reported is because parents have money!... get a reality check

Old 03-27-2009, 04:15 PM

162 posts, read 638,335 times
When I was looking to move southside a few years ago, everyone at work told me NOT to buy a home in Green Run's district. That was enough for me.

I also have a friend whose son went through Cox high school. From what I've heard, it's one of the better ones in VB. But even they have their problems too. When friend's son was there, they did have a gun incident at school. No school is immune.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,952 times
I doubt Green Run is as bad as people say it is. When I was going to high school, I hardly ever heard anything about Green Run. I attended Bayside and that was the only "bad" school in the area at the time. Much of Bayside's area isn't the best Va Beach has to offer and the neighborhoods that feed into Bayside (Lake Edward, Bayside Arms, Northridge, Aragona, Campus East, etc) are some of the worst in the city. I suppose the same goes for the Green Run area but like others here have stated, every school has got problems, and every school is going have kids selling and buying drugs, fighting each other, pregnant girls, etc. As far as I know, that's pretty much what high school is, right? If your kid has a good head on his/her shoulders and a good environment at home, he/she should be fine in school. But here's the stereotypes that I knew of while in high school regarding the other schools in the area:

Bayside = the ghetto school
Kellam = preppy / yuppie
Princess Anne = smart kids / hottest girls (stupid, I know)
Cox = rich kids / druggies
Salem = the Asian school / kinda shady at times

To be honest, I never really heard much about the other schools. I'm not sure if this stuff still applies, but hope I helped a little.

p.s. I'm not saying I condone the use of stereotypes, either.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:08 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladystallion06 View Post
I honestly think that what you said was rediculious... I graduated from green run in 2006, I wasnt prego, and i didnt drop out as you can see. You talk about green run being bad where look at where you teach at? Your school is infested with roaches, you gym can barely keep up with the times and you have had the worst students to ever gradutate there.

Im sure if you compare the average quality of student from all high schools, Bayside and Landstown would be the only ones that possibly would rank below Green Run.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Im sure if you compare the average quality of student from all high schools, Bayside and Landstown would be the only ones that possibly would rank below Green Run.
You have 4 high school that seem to fight for the worst school every year........They are Bayside, Salem, Green Run and Landstown.... Landstown seems to now carry the title of Va Bch's worst high school for the last year or two IMO

Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,154 times
Really? What's so bad about Landstown HS? I know parents who send their kids there and haven't heard any complaints.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
Really? What's so bad about Landstown HS? I know parents who send their kids there and haven't heard any complaints.
You will find people that love Landstown and you will also find people that hate it, but this can be said for just about every local high school....
The biggest gripe you normally hear about Landstown is that the school administrators are all about sports and not so much academics, so if you want your child to excel is sports this is the school, if you want them to get a great education another high school may be best.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:42 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,154 times
If that's the biggest complaint, then it can't be that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area