Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:58 AM

9 posts, read 48,266 times

Advertisements

Yes, we checked out the Wythe area and found several houses for sale but I agree with you, its too close to a bad area. So we are checking Yorktown which would be my first choice then Gloucester. My husband has to find a job first. Thanks for you help!
Jinny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 07:55 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,540 times
Default Coventry

I just bought a 2180 square ft house in Coventry area of Tabb/Yorktown right off of HWY 17 for $299k (seller also put an additional $8500 toward the closing costs). I work on Fort Monroe and it's a good drive either on I64 or using the back roads down by Langley AF Base.

Even though I'm single, I love the York area! Lots of friendly folks and almost everyone appreciates military and government work. Coventry is a great community, but I've seen other nice areas in York, like Grafton and Dare. I think Kiln Creek community is half in York and half Newport News, but you'll want to be in York if you have school-age children. I like the York area for being just outside Newport News and also still somewhat central - Willliamsburg is about 30min NW and Norfolk is about the same distance going SE. Locally in York, there's some entertainment and great community libraries, YMCA, Riverwalk, Historical sites, etc.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:48 AM

5,340 posts, read 4,427,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinny View Post
We would like to buy! We really like Yorktown and Gloucester area! My husband has applied for a job at Fort Monroe but hasn't gotten a reply yet. We really like the Wythe are in Hampton but its too close to the bad part of town and the bad part of Newport News. Its a shame! Thanks, Jinny

Gloucester is a wonderful place to live! It's a large county that is very sprawled out. There are some great areas there and being just over the Coleman Bridge, it's a convient drive to all the areas you mention. However, if you have children I wouldn't live there unless you plan on putting them in a private school. The schools in Gloucester County are not the best. The high school is very over crowded and there has been much racial unrest in the past. I'm not very sure how things are right now but, I can't believe that things have changed since I left there, one year ago. I taught there (the HS) for 20 years and chose to put my 4 kids in private school.
Tabb schools, on the other hand, have a great reputation. I wish you well.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:50 AM

5,340 posts, read 4,427,425 times
Default oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinny View Post
Thank you, are the surrounding towns just as nice as Yorktown? My husband would really like to stay with the federal government. So he could probably get a job in Newport News and others. How is the commute to those larger towns from Yorktown? I appreciate any help. Our kids are grown so it is just us and our little jack russell.

We now live in Culpeper and it grew too fast and the traffic is bumper to bumper overnight and now loaded with Hispanics which I don't have a problem with them, its just there are hundreds of them standing all around town all day waiting for contruction jobs, just not comfortable with that.

So sorry! I missed this post. With no kids I would highly recommend living in Gloucester County.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:18 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,007 times
I just sold a brand new house in Gloucester near the courthouse for $280k. It had upgraded fixtures, cabinets, hardwood floors 2600 square feet. That same house in York County would be $350k-$365k. They are building brand new smaller homes for under $200k.
If you don't mind the traffic on Rt 17, Gloucester is a great place to live. Has your husband applied at Fort Eustis ? What does he do ?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:37 AM

22 posts, read 68,151 times
I lived in Hampton for 15 years. There are very nice areas of Hampton that aren't near "bad parts". Yes, downtown Hampton is going through a revitalization. If you want a historic/victorian style home, try the area near the Air and Space CEnter. Or if you prefer newer homes, Bellgrade and Baker Farm is in a more rural area of Hampton close to York County. Hampton is close to Norfolk but you have to go over the bridge and through the tunnel. Without traffic, 15-20 minutes drive to the Naval Base, closer if you live on the water. There is also a naval installation in Yorktown. I worked there once and the commute was 20 minutes. There are several routes, either on the interstate or through town (Rt 17 or Jefferson Ave).

Old 12-17-2007, 11:29 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,540 times
Yorktown is a great area to live. I know the families love it for their kids and schools. As a single guy I would go into nearby Newport News, Hampton, or Williamsburg for entertainment. Now that I'm engaged, we're both looking to upgrade our separate 2 and 3 bedroom houses and purchase one 4 or 5 bedroom home together. We're mostly searching in the Yorktown area because of the prices and proximity to our work, although we are considering Williamsburg area if we can afford it. For entertainment, HWY 17 through Yorktown definitely has good potential for growth - I'd like to see what this area develops into during the next ten years.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 AM

9 posts, read 48,266 times
My husband has been trying to get a job at Fort Monroe. He has worked for the federal government for 25 years. If he could get a job there we could move to the York Area which is what we want to do. Any advise? Thanks, Jinny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area