Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:22 PM

8 posts, read 12,653 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm considering a transfer from Huntsville, Alabama to Hampton Roads. I was hoping some locals could help me understand my options. Here's what I'm wondering:

1. Are the school zones for Jamestown High in Williamsburg or Great Bridge High in Chesapeake too far from Langley AFB to reasonably commute? I'm thinking 45 - 50 min average is my limit.

2. In Huntsville, there are literally thousands of stay at home moms (my wife is one), and many are transplants from elsewhere in the country. So there are dozens of mommy-and-me activities available every day, and there's a lot of socializing and play-date opportunities for moms who don't have family or old friends in the area. Is that true in Hampton Roads? My wife is concerned she might be more isolated in VA.

3. Are most transplants military families? Or are there a lot of civilians (like me) from out of town?

Thanks so much,
Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 06:26 AM

179 posts, read 489,789 times
I can only speak for the Great Bridge area, and it is way too far to commute..... it would take you a good hour and half minimum...... if there were any accidents forget it.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisondad78 View Post
Hello All,

I'm considering a transfer from Huntsville, Alabama to Hampton Roads. I was hoping some locals could help me understand my options. Here's what I'm wondering:

1. Are the school zones for Jamestown High in Williamsburg or Great Bridge High in Chesapeake too far from Langley AFB to reasonably commute? I'm thinking 45 - 50 min average is my limit.

2. In Huntsville, there are literally thousands of stay at home moms (my wife is one), and many are transplants from elsewhere in the country. So there are dozens of mommy-and-me activities available every day, and there's a lot of socializing and play-date opportunities for moms who don't have family or old friends in the area. Is that true in Hampton Roads? My wife is concerned she might be more isolated in VA.

3. Are most transplants military families? Or are there a lot of civilians (like me) from out of town?

Thanks so much,
Jon
Williamsburg is doable but that is a long drive every day with a couple of choke points along the way. Great Bridge would be a hike, if you lived close to the bypass it might be doable but I wouldn't recommend it. You would come to hate your commute after a while. If you will be at Langley just look at York County which has very good schools, a short commute, and lots of military (so lots of transplants).

I can't comment on the groups for stay at home moms. I would imagine that York County has some but I can't say for sure.

Most transplants in the area are military affiliated, this region is a huge military area. There are some civilians as well that work at NASA or are contractors but majority of transplants have some sort of military ties in my experience.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:22 PM

8 posts, read 12,653 times
Thank you to both of you - marnay and UHgrad. This is very helpful information.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,459 times
I don't think there will be as many stay at home Moms--the cost of living is more expensive and, in general, the salaries in Hampton Roads are depressed. So, more spouses work; I would think there would be more stay-at-home military Moms/spouses.

I also second the opinion that Great Bridge would be a nasty commute from Langley. You would probably have to cross one bridge + one bridge/tunnel, both of which can be back up points.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM

115 posts, read 233,110 times
There are a number of homeschool oriented activities in Williamsburg and York counties. A lot of activities can be found at churches of all denominations. My wife and most of her friends don't work, yet we have 6 kids to feed. When people suggest that both spouses have to work, it is due to falling for some unsustainable views imposed by marketers to create acquiescent consumers.

Why Jamestown though? Not any better than York County. I think I wouldn't mind Huntdville, but I'm not sure it would be that much different, except that the majority of people here arefrom somewhere else, unfortunately too commonly from PA.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:04 PM

358 posts, read 711,050 times
I've lived in both Alabama and HR and I enjoyed Alabama much, much, much more in terms of overall quality of life. Pick just about any variable you want.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:45 AM

3 posts, read 16,273 times
I was in the same situation as you a few months ago, and we moved to southern york county. its a 15 minute commute and great schools.

My wife has found some play date groups, but she had to put a lot of effort into it. A lot were closed off to new members or inactive. However, there are a ton of things to do with kids in the area.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:00 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,978,261 times
Williamsburg (Jametown HS zone) is within a 45 minute commute to Langley AFB but as other posters indicated you might be better off in southern York County. We do have a number of stay at home moms but the majority do work.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 AM

44 posts, read 107,199 times
UHGRAD - 99% of the time, I agree with you, but I have to counter your "Most transplants in the area are military affiliated, this region is a huge military area. There are some civilians as well that work at NASA or are contractors but majority of transplants have some sort of military ties in my experience." statement. Being an out-of-towner myself, between our neighborhood, my employer, softball teams, and my daughters' schools, I can safely say that 75-80% of the people my wife and I know here (we've lived here for 15 years) are NOT from this area. We know very few military folks, so I'm mainly talking civilians. I realize that was just your opinion - I didn't want it to be the only one he heard.

Now, regarding York county, we're in Newport News, and for what he's looking for, you nailed it. The area and the short commute, with multiple avenue to get there would be my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area