Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Transplant Drivers
Florida 6 25.00%
North Carolina 1 4.17%
Pennsylvania 3 12.50%
New York 6 25.00%
Other / Virginia Drivers are the worst 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,103 times

Advertisements

As someone who commutes past Norfolk Naval Station and over the HRBT or MMMBT every day I get to see my fair share of crazy driving. I understand that the typical enlisted demographic is probably prone to more aggressive driving but it also seems like certain license plates and sports affiliations seem to pop up consistently on the offending vehicles. Any opinions on what state (besides VA if you think we suck) produces the worst drivers in the area?

From experience I would say these 4 are the worst:

1) Florida - I have no idea what the drivers test involves in Florida but apparently they teach that 5ft is an appropriate following distance and 90mph is the optimal speed for good fuel economy.

2) North Carolina - I don't know if they are just tired because they drove all the way up from Currituck County to their job at Newport News Shipbuilding but I have never seen such a group of oblivious drivers in my life.

3) Pennsylvania (specifically Pittsburgh area) - Why is that every time I get my ass ridden in the slow lane by a giant pickup truck or SUV, I notice that they have a giant Steelers sticker plastered to the back of their vehicle when they finally pass me??

4) New York - I guess this one is just a given. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 11:02 AM

26 posts, read 67,717 times
I'm more interested in the demograph shift more than the driving stats.

I remember HR being fairly diversed when I was stationed there. Yes, there were many folks from Florida but I can understand why (similar climate and Florida has naval bases). However, what's the deal with the PA transplants? Has the Navy boosted recruiting in PA or something? It's not like the economy in PA went belly up recently (their economy took a dump in the 70's when steel was outsourced to Japan). Is it because Westinghouse closed it's doors, recently (I believe they went OOB within the last 10 years).

I ask because I've noticed other bloggers referring to the number of PA transplants living in HR.

Of course, the Steelers are a popular football team. Maybe there aren't as many PA transplants as it seems.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtp View Post
I'm more interested in the demograph shift more than the driving stats.

I remember HR being fairly diversed when I was stationed there. Yes, there were many folks from Florida but I can understand why (similar climate and Florida has naval bases). However, what's the deal with the PA transplants? Has the Navy boosted recruiting in PA or something? It's not like the economy in PA went belly up recently (their economy took a dump in the 70's when steel was outsourced to Japan). Is it because Westinghouse closed it's doors, recently (I believe they went OOB within the last 10 years).

I ask because I've noticed other bloggers referring to the number of PA transplants living in HR.

Of course, the Steelers are a popular football team. Maybe there aren't as many PA transplants as it seems.
That is a good question, I have no idea. Since we all grew up Redskins fans around here (maybe Panthers if you were younger) my friends and I all find the influx of steeler fans kind of annoying. Like you said though, it could be a bunch of frontrunners and not necessarily transplants.

I know during the 80's I read that quite a few people relocated each year down to VB from Pittsburgh, and also a lot of people joined the military when the steel industry went in the crapper... but now that Pburg is going through a revitalization I really don't know if that trend is continuing.

I just see a disproportionately high amount of annoyingly aggressive driving associated with Steelers stickers and PA plates, that is all I can say for sure.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 AM

I don't see Ohio on your list? Too bad! I'm a native of Cleveland and I could speak for the drivers from Ohio. If asked, it would go something like this...

"We drive so damn slow because the police in Ohio (specifically Cleveland) are very militant. Ohio is known for it's speed traps. Get on a freeway and there's a speed trap every mile. Sometimes, this will go on for 5 miles. Yep, 5 speed traps within a 5 mile stretch. In other words, we are conditioned to drive the speed limit. The State Of Ohio makes a lot of money on traffic fines (or at least they used too)."

With that being said, my parents are from PA (my mom from Pittsburgh and my dad from Johnstown) so I spent a great deal of time visiting relatives in that state. The only reason which comes to mind regarding drivers from Pittsburgh is that the city is located in the Allegheny mountains. The roads twist & turn and go up & down. The roads are also in bad shape because of the climate (just like Cleveland; lots of potholes created by winter plowing). Perhaps, drivers from PA are just itching to "take off" and the flat freeways of HR allow them to do so. That's my long winded guess!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:01 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
Having lived and driven in VB for many years I also paid attention to the bad drivers. I have noticed a certain demographic who is the worst but lest I be bashed I'll stay quiet. The next time you are in the right lane and see someone from the extreme left swing over to exit in a millisecond take note. Anyway, I have also noticed the Florida drivers can be very aggressive on the road. Having now lived in NC, I find drivers I can go either way. Either they will pull out in front of you and poke or they will drive recklessly and speed past.

Last edited by citydweller; 01-25-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I don't see Ohio on your list? Too bad! I'm a native of Cleveland and I could speak for the drivers from Ohio. If asked, it would go something like this...

"We drive so damn slow because the police in Ohio (specifically Cleveland) are very militant. Ohio is known for it's speed traps. Get on a freeway and there's a speed trap every mile. Sometimes, this will go on for 5 miles. Yep, 5 speed traps within a 5 mile stretch. In other words, we are conditioned to drive the speed limit. The State Of Ohio makes a lot of money on traffic fines (or at least they used too)."

With that being said, my parents are from PA (my mom from Pittsburgh and my dad from Johnstown) so I spent a great deal of time visiting relatives in that state. The only reason which comes to mind regarding drivers from Pittsburgh is that the city is located in the Allegheny mountains. The roads twist & turn and go up & down. The roads are also in bad shape because of the climate (just like Cleveland; lots of potholes created by winter plowing). Perhaps, drivers from PA are just itching to "take off" and the flat freeways of HR allow them to do so. That's my long winded guess!
I don't see a lot of Ohio plates on the roads around here so I don't really have an opinion. My coworker is from Ohio, big buckeye fan, he drives fast but not recklessly swerving in and out or tailgating.

As far as the PA stuff goes I should probably say steelers fans who feel the need to represent their team on their car not PA transplants. I don't actually know that most of them are from PA, I just see a lot of ******* drivers in big trucks with steelers stickers on them. Maybe guys in big trucks are just more likely to like the steelers and drive like Jackasses, or maybe *******s are just more likely to drive big trucks and like the steelers... it may have nothing to do with being from PA. LOL

Old 01-25-2012, 01:06 PM

This thread is bringing back a lot of memories. Ohhhhh Nooooo!

Yes, I remember folks swerving from the left hand lane to the right without feeling the need to use their turn signal or even look across their shoulder.

I also remember the tunnel entrances (or waiting to get on I64 from Northhampton) and how folks with NO PATIENCE would just drive the shoulder and CUT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE!

I remember HR being the ONLY place I've ever lived where someone would rear end me at least once a year. I'm serious!

Or, how about this one (and this is actually tragic)...there was a time in the late 80's, early 90's when cops were getting killed on 64 every time they pulled over an offender. I'm not talking "gunned down". I'm saying they would pull over someone for speeding, get out of their cruiser, and some idiot would run them over. I hope that isn't happening these days.

What about "rubber necking"? Yep, someone could be changing a tire on I44 (shows you how old I am) and traffic would come to a halt because everyone wanted to slow down and gawk. Wow, I just realized how this one contradicts my previous observation, but it's true!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
This thread is bringing back a lot of memories. Ohhhhh Nooooo!

Yes, I remember folks swerving from the left hand lane to the right without feeling the need to use their turn signal or even look across their shoulder.

I also remember the tunnel entrances (or waiting to get on I64 from Northhampton) and how folks with NO PATIENCE would just drive the shoulder and CUT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE!

I remember HR being the ONLY place I've ever lived where someone would rear end me at least once a year. I'm serious!

Or, how about this one (and this is actually tragic)...there was a time in the late 80's, early 90's when cops were getting killed on 64 every time they pulled over an offender. I'm not talking "gunned down". I'm saying they would pull over someone for speeding, get out of their cruiser, and some idiot would run them over. I hope that isn't happening these days.

What about "rubber necking"? Yep, someone could be changing a tire on I44 (shows you how old I am) and traffic would come to a halt because everyone wanted to slow down and gawk. Wow, I just realized how this one contradicts my previous observation, but it's true!
The daily press actually has a photo gallery called "Rubberneckin' at accidents". People send in the pictures that they take, presumably while driving (or maybe as a passenger), and send them in to the paper. You can't help but shake your head at that one. I gotta admit though, I like looking at the gallery sometimes. LOL

PICTURES: Rubberneckin' at car accidents - dailypress.com

My favorite at the HRBT is the person that is going 70 at the tunnel entrance then slams on their brakes inside the tunnel and slows to 45, only to speed back up to 70 as soon as they see the light of day again at the exit.

As a VB local I just tell myself that all these morons are transplants... but honestly they probably aren't. haha

Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
My favorite at the HRBT is the person that is going 70 at the tunnel entrance then slams on their brakes inside the tunnel and slows to 45, only to speed back up to 70 as soon as they see the light of day again at the exit.
I've seen this in Portland, as well. There's a stretch of 26 called the Sylvan Hill. Traffic will be travelling the speed limit down towards the tunnel and some moron will slam on his brakes right at the entrance. It really sucks because the Sylvan has a 5% downgrade (I believe) and it's hard to stop; especially when it's raining...and it rains every day here in the Pacific Northwest.

As for Steeler stickers on big trucks? Well, those same yahoo's (or their dads) were driving big trucks with Yosemite Sam mud flaps back in the 80's! Ha, ha, ha!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:05 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
North Carolina by a landslide!

The bad FL ones have usually been from Escambia County, so practically Alabama.

I've seen a lot of Texas recently and they've been no picnic, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area