Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 AM

275 posts, read 870,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Welcome to the Hotel California

The problem is there is no progress here. It is mundane suburbia filled with nothing but a bunch of desperate housewives and people that think they are fabulous. It's no wonder this place has a drinking problem.
Yet you're still here, and do nothing but complain on the forum about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Man! I grew up in Va. Beach, and always want to move back! What a negative thread!! How can ya'll say all these things about Va. Beach/ Tidewater?

No progress - try Charleston, South Carolina , I have lived here 11 years. It is behind the times! People fight for any progress here! Bad roads, people fight against the cruise ship industry, fight against building more roads/ I-526 expressway, a light rail like you now have in Tidewater would only be here in Charleston in 50 years!

The grass is always greener you haters!

Tidewater has a beautiful boardwalk, nice oceanfront, awesome beach over a Chesapeake Bay, Great Parks, Great music venues across Tidewater, Cool events going on every Memorial Day, Labor Day, Harborfest at Waterside is always awesome. I don't understand the hate.
Much, much better schools than here where I live now. Public school here is really struggling. Many rivers to fish and crab in Va. Beach and Norfolk. Also, there are many alcoholics here where I live too, I bet more than in Tidewater!

I hope you get your wish and move away, and I will fill your spot and move back with my family. Maybe I am blessed to have a Federal Job (not Military) from what you say about no jobs.

I agree with the Tvpirate, Coconut1 is always negative, always.

Hope you escape back up to the North. Good luck.

Last edited by Serenity2019; 01-04-2013 at 07:49 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJConnor View Post
I'm from New Jersey. You?<br>
Bwahahaha another New Jersey transplant that hates the area. I think this is half the people that frequent HR forum. You guys should all start a support group and meet up to talk about how much better new jersey is.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Bwahahaha another New Jersey transplant that hates the area. I think this is half the people that frequent HR forum. You guys should all start a support group and meet up to talk about how much better new jersey is.

Not me bro! I am southern and frequent the HR forum !

Old 01-04-2013, 07:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJConnor View Post
But holy Mother of God do I hate Virginia Beach. How the hell do I get out????
Follow I-64 West until you get to Richmond.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 AM

275 posts, read 870,420 times
Quote:
That seems to be the NY/NJ mentality...if it isn't NY/NJ, it sucks. I have a friend from that area who constantly talks about how awful VA is...and I often have no problem reminding him that he's still here 15 years later. He always gets defensive and retorts with something about how he can't find a job anywhere else.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
That seems to be the NY/NJ mentality...if it isn't NY/NJ, it sucks. I have a friend from that area who constantly talks about how awful VA is...and I often have no problem reminding him that he's still here 15 years later. He always gets defensive and retorts with something about how he can't find a job anywhere else.
It is just amazing how I seem to find New Jersey transplants everywhere and they are always talking about how much better Jersey is and how the place they are currently sucks. My friends in Richmond tell me how Short Pump is just overrun with them. My buddy in Raleigh said the area is so swamped with them that some locals have starting putting up "No New Jersey transplants wanted" signs in front of new subdivisions to try and keep them away. LOL.

I was actually driving back up 95 from Savannah the other day after taking a little holiday trip and I would say that 10% of the cars on 95 had New Jersey plates regardless of what state I was driving through at the time. GA, SC, NC, or VA... it didn't make a difference. Every 10 or so cars a NJ plate would go whipping by me (even though I was going almost 80mph).

It is funny because I lived in Hawaii for most of my 20's and the locals would complain about "mainland transplants" moving there and acting pushy, aggressive, impatient, and loud while telling them how they are slow, backwards, not progressive, etc... I told them that I understood, Northeast transplants do that where I come from in Virginia too. I wonder how many of those people that the Hawaiians complained about were from Jersey. haha

I've never lived in Jersey, but nothing I have seen driving through (mostly 95) or visiting (Atlantic City, Wildwood (actually was decent), Princeton, Trenton) have made me think it is anyplace particularly nice... I just don't get it.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Follow I-64 West until you get to Richmond.
Best answer yet. haha.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. B View Post
Uhhhh this is the state of the country as a whole, not just Va Beach. If you dont believe it just turn on something besides a football game.
Not in the slightest. (And I don't watch sports... far too many more important things going on in the world to waste time watching a bunch of steroid pumped cows running into each other )

Quote:
I was actually driving back up 95 from Savannah the other day after taking a little holiday trip and I would say that 10% of the cars on 95 had New Jersey plates regardless of what state I was driving through at the time. GA, SC, NC, or VA... it didn't make a difference. Every 10 or so cars a NJ plate would go whipping by me (even though I was going almost 80mph).
Funny because in NJ there is always a steady stream of VA and NC plated cars clogging up the left lane and impeding the flow of traffic.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Funny because in NJ there is always a steady stream of VA and NC plated cars clogging up the left lane and impeding the flow of traffic.

Spoken like a New Jersey transplant... they are probably just New Jersey expats that now reside in NC or VA visiting family back in New Jersey anyways. Nobody that is actually from down here would go to New Jersey voluntarily (maybe to AC to gamble but Dover Downs is closer) so I doubt they are VB or NC locals.

I bet you flash your lights at people in traffic who are in the left lane following at a reasonable distance, but not going as fast as you would like to go. Then cut up and pass on the right so you can tailgate the next guy up and repeat the process. LOL. As an experiment one time my buddy tried to speed, tailgate, and change lanes repeatedly during rush hour while I just got in the center lane and drove 5 over. He got to the destination 23 seconds before me on a 15 mile drive. Hardly seems worth the increased accident risk that comes from speeding and following too closely not to mention the decreased fuel economy.

By the way you completely missed the point of my post. The point was that NJ folks seem to be everywhere BUT New Jersey, yet everywhere but New Jersey seems to suck to them. It seems a bit contradictory for it to be so great yet everyone from there relocates away from there and complains how their new place is not as good as where they came from.

Last edited by UHgrad; 01-04-2013 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area