Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 PM

214 posts, read 326,018 times

Advertisements

I keep coming back to Hampton Roads in my search for the perfect place to relocate our family of 4 to. It's family friendly, great autism services for my son, great schools, work for my husband (engineer, currently employed by a defense contractor), conservative, pro-homeschooling if we decide to go that route, things to do, mild weather, coastal, etc. Seems like a good fit. Not to mention, we're only 8 hours away by car right now, so we can visit and/or job hunt without having to fly there.

Anyway, we would rent a basic 2 bedroom apartment (or small house?) for a year or two first in the 1,200/month range, then we would want to purchase a 3 bedroom home in the $250,000 range. I think that ideally I'd like it to be around 1700sf, 15 years old or less. I can be flexible though. I see that VA Beach is much more expensive, but I also read that it's a much better place to live in general. Could someone please go into detail on why it is such a better place to live then the surrounding areas, other than the proximity to the beaches? Otherwise, it looks like we could get more house for the money in Norfolk or Chesapeake. I get the impression that these area's are hit or miss, right? In your opinion, where is the best area to rent and then buy in our price range? (can be two different places) This is just generally speaking, of course, so that I can get an idea of where to target my research.

I think that I'm more concerned with being in a good location, then having a nicer house. Ideally I'd have both lol, but I know that the area is a little pricey and that that's not realistic. I think I'm leaning towards being in closer proximity to things to do, maybe within walking distance to some things (park, trails, pool, etc.) So, I'm guessing that would probably put me in VA beach, right?

We're doing some upgrades to our house right now (appliances, fixtures, hardware, paint, etc.), and then we're going to put it on the market, hopefully by early spring. We're planning to rent here temporarily while we transition, so we don't have to worry about finding a job elsewhere while trying to close, especially since we're not even sure where we're moving to yet. But anyway, like I said, I keep coming back to Hampton Roads, so I think I should start doing some more serious research and line up a visit. I was there once before, but I didn't really have enough time to do some serious looking. It did feel like it could be "home" for us, and I definitely can't say that about most of the other places we've checked out.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 09:16 AM

184 posts, read 245,603 times
There are many options for a house in your price range in both Norfolk and Virginia Beach. I am showing a client 3 homes for rent in Norfolk later today in the 1200-1300 price range. If you are using Zillow for example, look at 618 North Shore Drive, Norfolk 23505 as an example.
As for location, both cities offer many family friendly activities and since they are neighbors, it is not hard to live in one area and take advantage of the other. While you mention home schooling, I would commend to you www.doe.virginia.gov for the current statistics on the schools in the area.
In general terms, you are correct in your observations of home prices, but again it is all about location. Don't forget about Suffolk which could also be a possibility for you. I have had some clients that wanted to start in VA Beach and ended up finding "the house" in Suffolk.
All of that said, you can find the rental and the permanent house in any of the cities. They all have parks, condo communities with pools, and some are located within walking distance to stores.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:49 PM

979 posts, read 1,778,124 times
We just moved to VB in November. We limited our search to VB and Chesapeake because most of the public schools in Norfolk appear to be less desirable. It's hard to say where to look specifically, though, until you know where you'll be working because commute is a pretty significant consideration (though maybe I've been tainted by having lived in northern VA). Where we ended up is in the Salem area of VB, which isn't actually too far from Chesapeake, and I find myself shopping, dining, etc., in Chesapeake pretty regularly, so it's not like Chesapeake is no man's land compared to VB. We settled in VB because of proximity to family (who live in VB), but we didn't really have any other reason to cross Chesapeake off the list.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmac View Post
There are many options for a house in your price range in both Norfolk and Virginia Beach. I am showing a client 3 homes for rent in Norfolk later today in the 1200-1300 price range. If you are using Zillow for example, look at 618 North Shore Drive, Norfolk 23505 as an example.
As for location, both cities offer many family friendly activities and since they are neighbors, it is not hard to live in one area and take advantage of the other. While you mention home schooling, I would commend to you www.doe.virginia.gov for the current statistics on the schools in the area.
In general terms, you are correct in your observations of home prices, but again it is all about location. Don't forget about Suffolk which could also be a possibility for you. I have had some clients that wanted to start in VA Beach and ended up finding "the house" in Suffolk.
All of that said, you can find the rental and the permanent house in any of the cities. They all have parks, condo communities with pools, and some are located within walking distance to stores.
Hope this helps.
Thank you, that's very helpful. Let me ask you this, is VA beach more expensive simply because of it's proximity to the ocean? We're definitely planning to rent for awhile while we figure out exactly where we would want to be. We made the mistake of buying a home too quickly where we currently are, and we are very unhappy with the location. It's beautiful, but it's too rural and isolated. It doesn't seem that would be an issue around there, but we've still learned from our mistake in general.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
We just moved to VB in November. We limited our search to VB and Chesapeake because most of the public schools in Norfolk appear to be less desirable. It's hard to say where to look specifically, though, until you know where you'll be working because commute is a pretty significant consideration (though maybe I've been tainted by having lived in northern VA). Where we ended up is in the Salem area of VB, which isn't actually too far from Chesapeake, and I find myself shopping, dining, etc., in Chesapeake pretty regularly, so it's not like Chesapeake is no man's land compared to VB. We settled in VB because of proximity to family (who live in VB), but we didn't really have any other reason to cross Chesapeake off the list.
Thanks, that's very helpful. Where did you move from? Are you enjoying the area so far? You're right about the proximity to work. That's definitely going to be the main factor when it comes to picking a place, so I might as well just wait until we know that specific information. We're currently 25 minutes away from my husbands job (no traffic), and we find that to be a little far, so I know we're going to want to be pretty close to work. I guess I'm just getting excited about the idea of moving there I'm pretty unhappy up here (Syracuse, NY), and researching/daydreaming about relocating has been getting me through these cold winter days.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:28 PM

Having moved over 12 times (thanks to the Navy both here in the States and Internationally), I understand your anxiety. And I think you are smart to rent for awhile and get to know the area. As for you question to me, most of Norfolk's established neighborhoods are much older than much of Virginia beach and I would suggest that is part of the reason. For example, the 3 homes I showed today were all built in the 1940s. That is not to say that they are not solid homes with many updates. But I could also show some executive homes that would command a much larger rent. Virginia Beach had very little in the way of homes in the 40s. Many farms that have since gone the way of developments over the years.
I agree with jellybean that traffic here can strain one's patience, during rush hour especially. Of course the military basses have very large numbers of cars coming and going. We also have an abnormal number of drivers who insist on slowing to 25 mph driving through the tunnels when the speed limit is 55 mph...which creates backups.
I would imagine that most folks here have as a minimum a 25 minute ride to work, depending on what their work hours are and assuming they are not working in and around their neighborhood.
I think you are wise to wait until you know where your husband will be working and then, those of us on the board can give you better suggestions.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:01 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,746,880 times
I live in Massachusetts but just returned from a few weeks visiting my sister in Virginia Beach. Her kids went to good schools but not all of the schools were that good. I wish I knew the zip codes but I don't.

After my latest visit I think I prefer Chesapeake to Virginia Beach. I saw some nice areas in Chesapeake whereas in VA Beach it seemed like a sprawling suburbia of subdivisions with fast food places and big box stores jammed in. I know there were some nice areas in VA Beach but for the most part I preferred Chesapeake.

I was definitely turned off by the 6 lane each way roads that you had to take to get anywhere in VA Beach. It seemed we were always on some huge road like Independence Blvd or Lynnhaven Parkway or Indian River or some highway that connected to them. It seemed that way, very built up and traffic jammed compared to what I am used to. Very congested.

I've never seen very much beach access in my visits. The beach is filled with hotels and souvenir shops and it was sort of hard to just go to the beach the way you would just go to the beach in New England.

Wherever you choose to live in that area, be sure to ask about air traffic noise as you may not want to be bothered by "the sound of freedom." Being a military area, you hear it all day long, even into the night. I started to get used to it but probably there are some people who would never get used to it and there are locations that are noisier than others. Just 2 cents worth from another northerner who kind of likes the area.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:25 AM

in_newengland makes a very valid point with respect to jet noise from Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach and Langley Air Force Base in Hampton. The noise zones are available on line and in Virginia, if you use a Realtor when you rent or buy, you will be told if the house you maybe interested in is in a particular noise zone.
Beach access is not always obvious. As Virginia Beach generates a great deal of revenue from tourism, you will find hotels, restaurants etc. catering to the tourists. There are beach accesses however from south of Sandbridge all the way around to Chic's Beach (which is on the Chesapeake Bay). Parking by the access however can sometimes be problematic.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM

27 posts, read 36,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady katie View Post
I keep coming back to Hampton Roads in my search for the perfect place to relocate our family of 4 to. It's family friendly, great autism services for my son, great schools, work for my husband (engineer, currently employed by a defense contractor), conservative, pro-homeschooling if we decide to go that route, things to do, mild weather, coastal, etc. Seems like a good fit. Not to mention, we're only 8 hours away by car right now, so we can visit and/or job hunt without having to fly there.

Anyway, we would rent a basic 2 bedroom apartment (or small house?) for a year or two first in the 1,200/month range, then we would want to purchase a 3 bedroom home in the $250,000 range. I think that ideally I'd like it to be around 1700sf, 15 years old or less. I can be flexible though. I see that VA Beach is much more expensive, but I also read that it's a much better place to live in general. Could someone please go into detail on why it is such a better place to live then the surrounding areas, other than the proximity to the beaches? Otherwise, it looks like we could get more house for the money in Norfolk or Chesapeake. I get the impression that these area's are hit or miss, right? In your opinion, where is the best area to rent and then buy in our price range? (can be two different places) This is just generally speaking, of course, so that I can get an idea of where to target my research.

I think that I'm more concerned with being in a good location, then having a nicer house. Ideally I'd have both lol, but I know that the area is a little pricey and that that's not realistic. I think I'm leaning towards being in closer proximity to things to do, maybe within walking distance to some things (park, trails, pool, etc.) So, I'm guessing that would probably put me in VA beach, right?

We're doing some upgrades to our house right now (appliances, fixtures, hardware, paint, etc.), and then we're going to put it on the market, hopefully by early spring. We're planning to rent here temporarily while we transition, so we don't have to worry about finding a job elsewhere while trying to close, especially since we're not even sure where we're moving to yet. But anyway, like I said, I keep coming back to Hampton Roads, so I think I should start doing some more serious research and line up a visit. I was there once before, but I didn't really have enough time to do some serious looking. It did feel like it could be "home" for us, and I definitely can't say that about most of the other places we've checked out.

Thanks for your help!
Just my two sense...I have to say that originating from NJ, the beach access here is like a wide-open free-for-all. I can get to any beach, bayside or Atlantic, at any number of points. It isn't difficult at all. Tourism drives much of the Beach Street USA section of the city, but please don't limit your perception of VA Beach just to that mental picture. While that is the tourist draw area, areas like Chesapeake Bay Beach and Chic's Beach are more for locals and look noting like the popular beachfront. Even at North Beach, the atmosphere completely changes as it is flanked by summer vacation homes, not hotels. Sandbridge still remains one of VA Beachs best kept secrets, and there are 35 other miles of beachfront to explore. I am not sure that I would go as far as saying the area is conservative either. Things are changing, and purple is the new color of Virginia. Norfolk and the Southern Penninsula are most certainly blue. The VA Beach council is progressive, and there are many plans in the works (yes, that will affect taxpayers) for development, redevelopment, and revitalization in strategic growth areas (arena, baseball complex, light rail expansion, etc). VA Beach is at an important crossroads where old meets new, and there are disagreements as to how the city looks in the generations to come. Please be aware that things are changing from the old perceptions as VA Beach continues to progress. But these are not negative things! Evolution and progress are what makes this area great. There are several areas of great school systems as well, such as the Shore Drive/Great Neck stretch as well as the Red Mill area near Strawbridge (Virginia Beach City Public Schools - Annual School Report Card Archives). They are recognized as some of the best in the Commonwealth. As for traffic, yes it is congested, but for someone like me, who has spent years navigating the GW Bridge and the Holland Tunnel, this area pales in comparison. With the advancements in transportation options on the horizon (Light Rail/RBT and road repair/expansion) things will gradually change. Are you in NE or Syracuse? Either way, VA Beach and the Hampton Roads region in general is a great spot to finally settle down. Home prices here are continuing to appreciate as the recover progresses but there are gems out there for reasonable prices. It just takes a little digging. Let me know If I can provide any more info for you and good luck!

Old 02-06-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bus Bum View Post
Just my two sense...I have to say that originating from NJ, the beach access here is like a wide-open free-for-all. I can get to any beach, bayside or Atlantic, at any number of points. It isn't difficult at all. Tourism drives much of the Beach Street USA section of the city, but please don't limit your perception of VA Beach just to that mental picture. While that is the tourist draw area, areas like Chesapeake Bay Beach and Chic's Beach are more for locals and look noting like the popular beachfront. Even at North Beach, the atmosphere completely changes as it is flanked by summer vacation homes, not hotels. Sandbridge still remains one of VA Beachs best kept secrets, and there are 35 other miles of beachfront to explore. I am not sure that I would go as far as saying the area is conservative either. Things are changing, and purple is the new color of Virginia. Norfolk and the Southern Penninsula are most certainly blue. The VA Beach council is progressive, and there are many plans in the works (yes, that will affect taxpayers) for development, redevelopment, and revitalization in strategic growth areas (arena, baseball complex, light rail expansion, etc). VA Beach is at an important crossroads where old meets new, and there are disagreements as to how the city looks in the generations to come. Please be aware that things are changing from the old perceptions as VA Beach continues to progress. But these are not negative things! Evolution and progress are what makes this area great. There are several areas of great school systems as well, such as the Shore Drive/Great Neck stretch as well as the Red Mill area near Strawbridge (Virginia Beach City Public Schools - Annual School Report Card Archives). They are recognized as some of the best in the Commonwealth. As for traffic, yes it is congested, but for someone like me, who has spent years navigating the GW Bridge and the Holland Tunnel, this area pales in comparison. With the advancements in transportation options on the horizon (Light Rail/RBT and road repair/expansion) things will gradually change. Are you in NE or Syracuse? Either way, VA Beach and the Hampton Roads region in general is a great spot to finally settle down. Home prices here are continuing to appreciate as the recover progresses but there are gems out there for reasonable prices. It just takes a little digging. Let me know If I can provide any more info for you and good luck!
Thanks for responding! I'm not very concerned about beach access. I grew up on Long Island where we had to wait for 30+ minutes just to get into the beach parking lot. I only really knew of two public beach access points within a reasonable driving distance to my house. When I visited the tourist area of VA Beach a couple of years ago, it was the middle of a hot summer day, and we didn't have to wait in any traffic at all. We were able to just park and walk across the street to the beach. We're not planning on being there constantly anyway. When I lived on the coast, I only really went a few times a year. Otherwise, I really just enjoyed being around the bays and marinas. I am in Syracuse, by the way. There's not a lot of traffic here, but I'm used to the heavy traffic on Long Island. My husband, on the other hand, grew up in the Mountains, so he's not used to any traffic at all. He drove through NYC a few times, and I think he was a little traumatized by it! He drives 25 minutes to work right now, but that's mostly on the highway, so the location isn't very close to our house. We're going to try to have his commute be less than that. I wish I knew where he would be working so I could start figuring out those details. Oh well, one step at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area