Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 05:24 AM

3 posts, read 32,180 times

Advertisements

My wife is in the medical field and is being transferred to the Hampton area. I'm disabled and can't drive but I do love the ocean, so I would like the freedom to step out by myself while she is working and take some walks on the sand. From reading older threads on this site I have seen many say to stay away from Ocean View Beach in Norfolk.

My question is if Ocean View is still a bad area to live. The threads I have seen on here directly addressing this are years old, so I thought I would ask.

Are there any safe areas on the coast between Ocean View and Hampton? I do understand crime can happen anywhere, but on older threads people were talking about terrible crime rates with drugs, robberies, and prostitution. Please, be specific with your answers of areas to stay because I am currently in Southern North Carolina and have never been to the area. Thank you for your time in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 01:20 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,220,012 times
Another poster, XGrendelX created this wonderful map.

//www.city-data.com/forum/hampt...afety-map.html

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...&oe=UTF8&msa=0

Hopefully, this will help.

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:48 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,163 times
I would say it has cleaned up a lot, particular around where Shore Dr. and Little Creek intersect (which I believe is "East Beach"?)

Old 05-05-2015, 02:18 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
FYI ocean view is on the bay not the ocean.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:14 PM

184 posts, read 244,904 times
The City of Norfolk has done a lot to try and "clean up" the Ocean view area (in my view). While there are some parts that could still be considered a little rough, I think you could find what you are looking for. Areas such as Nansemond in the Bay and Pinewell by the Bay are very nice. I have several clients who are very happy there.
Is there any chance you could come for a visit before you move?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmac View Post
Is there any chance you could come for a visit before you move?
My wife is going to be headed up that way, in about a month, to work at look at places for us to move. I won't be coming up until we move. I'm dealing with everything at home and gathering leads of rentals for her to check out.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:53 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachedWalrus View Post
My wife is in the medical field and is being transferred to the Hampton area. I'm disabled and can't drive but I do love the ocean, so I would like the freedom to step out by myself while she is working and take some walks on the sand. From reading older threads on this site I have seen many say to stay away from Ocean View Beach in Norfolk.

My question is if Ocean View is still a bad area to live. The threads I have seen on here directly addressing this are years old, so I thought I would ask.

Are there any safe areas on the coast between Ocean View and Hampton? I do understand crime can happen anywhere, but on older threads people were talking about terrible crime rates with drugs, robberies, and prostitution. Please, be specific with your answers of areas to stay because I am currently in Southern North Carolina and have never been to the area. Thank you for your time in advance.
Truth of the matter is that while the water itself is a great place to live the further into Norfolk you go, the worse it gets. Until the new development actually penetrates other neighborhoods in Ocean View, it will be sketchy, at best. Is Ocean View the same as it was 10 years ago; of course not. But is it Virginia Beach, or even some of the nicer neighborhoods in Norfolk? No.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 13,914 times
From out of town and while driving through I ate at the Surf Rider restaurant, which I thought was very good.

There's not a whole lot that's particularly picturesque.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:28 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToPG View Post
From out of town and while driving through I ate at the Surf Rider restaurant, which I thought was very good.

There's not a whole lot that's particularly picturesque.
Which is 9/10 of the problem. 50 years ago it was an entirely different place.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:30 AM

Thanks everyone, we're looking in Hampton now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area