Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 PM

119 posts, read 343,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbooe View Post
Maybe this is a little harsh, but I have probably read way too many posts at once and am just irritated. Nothing against anyone personally, just irritated. I was hoping to find actual information on the city and people who like living there with a few mixed in that don't. What I have been reading is a bunch of people that should just move and very few people (though some) giving helpful things about actually living there.

If someone actually enjoys life, doesn't think "The Man" is out to get them and likes living in the Virginia Beach area, I would appreciate a little from the non-negative side.
Many of us know how you feel. The funny thing is, there are a few posters ( I would call them out if it wasn't against the rules ) whom have supposedly moved and are living in a "better state" but yet they still seem to have plenty of time on their hands to post their BS whenever someone is looking for info about the area. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
I may or may not be one of the posters you'd like to 'call out'. I moved from VA to CO a little over 4 yeasr ago. Even though I strongly prefer living in Colorado, I'm not going to say that Colorado is a 'better' state than Virginia, because such an assertion is purely objective anyway. Virginia Beach like anywhere else has it's plusses and minuses. Once again, those plusses and minuses are purely subjective for each individual who lives there. One persons plus is another persons minus, so why get perturbed when someone points out one of their minuses that you don't like. Just let it roll off your back, focus on the plusses that you perceive, and share your enthusiasm for those plusses.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:16 AM

14 posts, read 25,023 times
Problem is, there is only one side being shown by a few. Then it seems like they argue with the ones that don't hold their view until everyone else stops posting and all I am left to read is negative comments. In Los Angeles, there are great things and terrible things. Yet when anyone asks, I don't simply go over and over and over the bad. When people want to know about the area, they want to get a mix, not hear a bitter list of all that someone personally can't stand. Believe me, I have told hundreds and hundreds about this area.

The weather is great but you will begin to miss rain a little, it is an arid climate. There are endless things to do. There are parts that are dangerous but if you know where they are and stay away you should never see crime, unless you watch the news. There are beaches that are overcrowded. Santa Monica beach down through Venice is too touristy and Venice is full of homeless and freaks but here are a list of others we use as locals...

From reading posts from a few, this is not what is given. It is more like... this place has no jobs, I can't believe they won't hire me, they won't pay me what I'm worth, no girls want to date me, the main beach is too touristy and dirty, the houses that most everyone in the country wants are here but they are crap, stripmalls are the worst thing man has ever created (here we love them because you can actually PARK).

There is no balance. I know from research that there are several good schools there which is almost impossible to find in many cities unless you move an hour out. I hear a few, that can stand the constant negative onslaught they receive from daring to post something positive, that say there are good areas, things to like, family friendly events, good weather, nice housing.

I just want a balance instead of constant negatives and continual shouting down of anyone who doesn't join in on the bashing party.

Va beach was put at #12 in a list of the top 25 best cities for teachers. ( http://theapple.monster.com/careers/articles/8281-top-25-cities-for-teachers?page=15 (broken link) ) Did anyone know that? They did the research on cost of living, pay scale, commute times, crime, and other details. Are they wrong? Did someone get paid off to put it on there? I doubt it. They just used statistics and compared them from all over the country. It wasn't number one, but it made the list.

VA is green with actual trees and grass. That's a plus coming from here. The mosquitoes are annoying I bet, but you take the good and the bad. I just want some insight on the day to day there and what the cities and areas are like from a local. Some things are going to be bad, some good. I just don't want to hear all of one side or the other.

Last edited by Mrbooe; 09-09-2010 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-16-2016, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 464 times
Thinking of Moving to Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake? LOTS to DO! Lived in San Fransico, NY City, Boca Raton FLA. AND plan on retiring here in Norfolk VA. Outdoor Activity 8-10 months a year. Golf, Fish, Hunt, Boat, Kayak, Bike, Hike, Roller Blade Boardwalk, Skate Board Parks,Sports: AAA Baseball team, Hocky, ODU Basket Ball, Festevents Jazz fest, Harborfest, Big Band on the Bay, Live Beach Music Friday Night, Live bands all summer at pavillions on Board Walk, Outdoor eateries in Norfolk and Virginia beach, The ARTS in Norfolk, Maritime and Air museums, Chrysler Museum, Virginia Opera House, Play Houses and Theaters, Dance venues Lindy Hop & Swing at the Attucks, Salsa and Mambo room, Shag all over! Jazz, Folk, Coffee Houses, Bars, Meet-ups, Aquarium, ZOO, Botanical Gardens, Hermitage Center, Rec center pools and Classes, like jewelry design, pottery, music, dance. Shopping and eateries galore. Have I forgotten anything?

Old 06-16-2016, 02:28 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslieclaire757 View Post
Have I forgotten anything?
Probably the biggest thing is that this thread is over 6 years old. Pretty sure they've moved here and back at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area