Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:36 AM

38 posts, read 193,982 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are originally from Florida and have been living about 30 mins outside of Atlanta for 6 years. We are both in our early 30s and don't have children yet, but will be starting a family in the next year or two. We really want to live closer to the beach but don't really want to move back to Florida. We are looking for a city that is within 30 mins or so to nice beaches, good job market, decent shopping, good restaurants and a variety of different ethnic foods, good schools (if we end up staying once we have kids), things to do on the weekends (festivals, arts, concerts, etc). I also need a Whole Foods, Trader Joes or a great farmers market nearby - I can't exist without one. While I realize the closer to the water you get, the higher the pricing I would like to be able to afford to buy a home after a year or so in the area - in the low to mid 200s, doesn't need to be big just in a safe area. Neither one of us likes to eat at chain restaurants, we prefer funky little locally owned places. Can anyone give us some advice on an area or if VA Beach might fit this description?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 04:50 AM

3 posts, read 19,666 times
For women, Virginia Beach was rated the best city in America (2002). The survey was done by one of the well-known women's magazines (LHJ?). The survey factored in safety, schools, jobs, community support, etc.

For men, however, Virginia Beach is a very tough place to make a living. Nice people, great climate, super for family values, but there are very few large companies based here. There is also a lot of competition from young military retirees who can manage with lower wages. The really good professional jobs tend to be in Northern VA. So, if you -- but especially your husband - seek work, just be careful to get something lined up before you move. As for the quality of life, in general, its terriffic.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 12,414 times
Unhappy Living n Va. Bch 4 years now!

Been here 4 years, Unfortunately there is no Trader Joe's, but there is a wonderful grocery store "The Fresh Market" in Hilltop North, Laskin Rd, about 2 miles from the Ocean front. In my opinion if you have never lived in a Military than this move might be quite a shock for you! Here are the con's of living here. If you do not make over $50k, than you cannot afford a house in Va.Bch.; The neighborhoods, you can be a good neighborhood and 3 blocks away is bad. There are several areas where you actually hear helicopters flying around at night, looking for criminals. Loads of traffic and bad rude drivers here. Not enough highway. Just one problem with a tunnel or bridge and the rush hour comes to a halt. You cannot get out of this town on Fridays in the summer. Tourist, tourist everywhere in the summer, so no sane resident goes to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront, until after Labor Day. I truely don't think there are any safe areas in this entire South Hampton Rds, not unless you are living in a million dollard neighborhood. So before you buy have your real estate agent check for crime statistics. Me I can't wait to get out of this area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellydance2290 View Post
My husband and I are originally from Florida and have been living about 30 mins outside of Atlanta for 6 years. We are both in our early 30s and don't have children yet, but will be starting a family in the next year or two. We really want to live closer to the beach but don't really want to move back to Florida. We are looking for a city that is within 30 mins or so to nice beaches, good job market, decent shopping, good restaurants and a variety of different ethnic foods, good schools (if we end up staying once we have kids), things to do on the weekends (festivals, arts, concerts, etc). I also need a Whole Foods, Trader Joes or a great farmers market nearby - I can't exist without one. While I realize the closer to the water you get, the higher the pricing I would like to be able to afford to buy a home after a year or so in the area - in the low to mid 200s, doesn't need to be big just in a safe area. Neither one of us likes to eat at chain restaurants, we prefer funky little locally owned places. Can anyone give us some advice on an area or if VA Beach might fit this description?

Old 11-19-2006, 10:04 AM

132 posts, read 673,606 times
There is a Trader Joe's at 12551 Jefferson Ave., Suite 179
Newport News, VA 23603. Someone told me that they are considering opening a place in Virginia Beach, but don't know for sure.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:11 PM

121 posts, read 461,929 times
Whole foods is also moving to Virginia Beach. It'll be next to town center where Kroger used to stand.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeach View Post
There is a Trader Joe's at 12551 Jefferson Ave., Suite 179
Newport News, VA 23603. Someone told me that they are considering opening a place in Virginia Beach, but don't know for sure.
That Trader Joes is supposed to go in landstown commons being built next to TCC.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellydance2290 View Post
As for funky locally owned resturants your best bet is going to downtown Norfolk along Granby Street or better yet the Ghent area nearer to ODU (15min from Va. Beach, so not a hike, just don't go during rush hour). Virginia Beach is pretty much a whos who of major chain resturants, the only smaller locally owned resturants you'll find is closer to the Oceanfront, away from the Pembroke CBD.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:03 PM

38 posts, read 193,982 times
Thanks for all of the replies. We will try to visit soon, right now we are just trying to narrow down the areas. I am happy to hear that a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are coming to the area. Although Fresh Market is nice, I only eat organic meats and they don't carry organic (atleast the one by my house currently doesn't). We don't eat at chain restaurants so sounds like Ghent might be an option. Do you really think that the military influence will be a huge shock? My Dad was in the Air Force but retired when I was 2, so we never moved around. I did go to MacDill all the time with him but have never really lived in an area that is heavily influenced by it. Sounds like the job market is similar to a college town which worries me We stayed in Gainesville, FL after graduating college and there were slim pickins for jobs and also the pay scale was very low, probably $15k lower than Atlanta. Although I want to be near the beaches, we are used to a certain standard of living in Atlanta.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:28 AM

22 posts, read 98,987 times
Hello
I read your post and we have a lot in common. My husband and are in our early 30's-no kids yet and thinking about VA Beach. I do not like chain restaurants and love trader joes-I really hope it comes to VA beach! We are probably moving in Jan. Feel free to send me an email.Good luck!

Old 12-08-2006, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 12,396 times
Default Virginia Beach

If you are rich, you will enjoy a great quality of life in VB. The quality of life is not great for those who are not rich.

The beaches are wonderful of course--check out Little Island State Park in Sandbridge for the most beautiful beach in my opinion.

The entire area is very crowded--on Holidays, get out of town if possible. Traffic is hideous, all day, every day. Worse at rush hour of course and on Fridays from 3 PM on.

Summers are hot and humid with no breeze and no cooling at night. Mosquitoes, flies and fleas are very bad. If you have pets, you will need to protect them, probably year round. Winters are extremely mild. Summer hangs on long, Spring comes early--not much as far as four seasons.

I lived in the area for 30 years, I now live in the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area