Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:18 PM

13 posts, read 44,523 times

Advertisements

23 years on Long Island, 4 years in NOVA, 3 years near Rochester, NY, 2 years in Buffalo, New York, and now 8 years in Norfolk/Virginia Beach. IMO, Hampton Roads is the best of all of those locations. I don't plan on ever moving again. The weather is good. The cost of living is reasonable. You have access to the beach, mountains, and major cities all within a day's drive. There are a number of excellent restaurants and enough cultural things to do. There is plenty to do here without the traffic problems and high costs of a major metro area. I laugh when people around here complain about traffic. Try living on Long Island for a couple of years. I promise you that you will return with very different thoughts about driving in Hampton Roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 01:51 PM

275 posts, read 870,529 times
I've lived here for about 22 or my 25 years on earth, and I've seen the transformation this area has undergone, mainly in the last 20 or so years.

I won't say I hate the area; the scenery is very beautiful, esp. this time of year, but I do believe this area needs a lot of work. It's too much of a "keeping with the Joneses" mentality in HR, the area wants to be taken seriously as a big city, but won't take the proper steps to do so. The light rail system is a good plan, albeit 10 years too late.

Honestly, the Seven Cities vs. One Large Metroplex area is the one thing really driving me away from Norfolk. Each city's stubbornness is one major thing holding HR back, and allowing them to miss out on some huge advancement opportunities. If they want to get on the map (literally and figuratively), the cities are gonna have to stop being so childish and consider merging. Several large cities have smaller cities that are still considered part of that metroplex (i.e. Irving is part of Dallas/Fort Worth, or Joliet being part of Chicago). Norfolk or Chesapeake would be suburbs of "Hampton Roads".

Old 03-17-2008, 05:49 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Just remember---Scranton is better than EVERYTHING!
Which is why you're on the Virginia page???

Old 03-18-2008, 04:24 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
He is on every page.... cuz he's cool like that! HEY SWB!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Hinton Bound wrote:
Many of us are active on more than one state forum, even if we are not big fans of that state. It's a great way to find out what's going on in different states. I invite you to broaden your horizons by visiting some other state forums, ( if you're not already doing so )!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,653 times
Default Scott

I hate Norfolk I can not find a job and now I am homeless

Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Kalbrier...sorry to hear that you are homeless. Losing your job probably has more to do with the weak economy across the USA than it does with Norfolk specifically. Find a way to let go of the hate. You'll feel better without it, and simultaneously increase your chances to find a job. No one wnats to hire a person with hate in their heart.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:17 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbrier View Post
I hate Norfolk I can not find a job and now I am homeless
at least you have an internet connection

Old 06-30-2009, 01:21 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I lived in Virginia Beach for 16 years. All things considered, it's not a bad place. Mostly, we just wanted a more rural lifestyle, with less traffic, cleaner air, a quieter place without the jet noise, and a drier sunnier climate. Grand Junction, CO gives us that along with a nicer house in a nicer neighborhood for less money than our old home in Great Neck Estates. We both took paycuts though for the same jobs we were doing in Virginia Beach. So, those of you complaining about the below average pay scale in the area...remember, it could be worse!

That really depends on what you are doing. Not many places pay less for accounting then Hampton Roads, certainly no other areas its size.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:23 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
at least you have an internet connection
An internet connection can be found at the library. Its not neccessarily a symbol of material well being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area