Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:47 AM

572 posts, read 1,299,286 times

Advertisements

We are explanding our search for homes in the Hampton Roads area, and have noticed a ton of homes for sale in Newport News, less than 10 miles from the base, but everyone that has moved from the area that we know of has advised against Newport News, even though the neighborhoods look very nice. So I was just curious why the bad rap?

We are looking at homes in the neighborhoods between Ft. Eustias (sp?) and Langley AFB (along the Hampton/York County Line). My son has autism, and schools are the utmost importance. We are looking at homes in the $275K-$325K price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 AM

361 posts, read 1,465,529 times
In NN, the good neighborhoods are located along the James River from Hilton through Denbigh Plantation, including Riverside, Hidenwood, Menchville etc. Also Kiln Creek, Port Warwick are also nice.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:32 AM

82 posts, read 300,540 times
As in any city in Hampton Roads, some neighborhoods are more desirable than others. there are a lot of nice areas in Newport News so don"t rule it out.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:30 PM

5 posts, read 17,260 times
I tried to like Newport News. I really tried. But I'm moving out as soon as possible.

I would never, ever buy a house in Newport News. If you need/want to be on the peninsula, look towards York Co or Williamsburg. Any of the other cities in Hampton Roads would be better than Newport News. It's crowded, noisy, boring and ugly. You would probably get more for your house dollar there though.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:26 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,570 times
As long as you stay away from SE NN and Warwick side Denbigh you'll be safe in NN..Other than that all the neighboorhods damian listed are good, Port Warwick/City Center seems to really be the hotspot in NN rite now...and most of Midtown is pretty good with the exception of Dresden...

Old 03-06-2008, 03:43 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrrl View Post
I tried to like Newport News. I really tried. But I'm moving out as soon as possible.

I would never, ever buy a house in Newport News. If you need/want to be on the peninsula, look towards York Co or Williamsburg. Any of the other cities in Hampton Roads would be better than Newport News. It's crowded, noisy, boring and ugly. You would probably get more for your house dollar there though.
Sorry you felt that way, but I can assure you that my condo is not cheap and worth every penny; and its value has still increased. To each his own

Old 03-06-2008, 05:21 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,980 times
We live in a decent, quiet, and established neighborhood in Newport News. The downfall is we're zoned for one of the worst public schools in the city! So we plan to send our daughter to private school for pre-K and for kindegarten and then we're planning on moving out of state closer to my family. My husband grew up here all his life and he cant stand the crime that's moving into the city. I agree with the others though, stay away from East End Newport News (anything past Mercury) and the Denbigh area. And if you do find a house you look and you have children, be sure to check the school your zoned for unless you plan to go private!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 PM

I have a child with special needs, so schooling is VERY important to me. I want him in a good school with good services.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:03 AM

23 posts, read 64,254 times
There are plenty of nice neighborhoods in NN. I was born here and have been here for 38 years. Unfortunately, it gets tricky when it comes to schools. We really don't have true neighborhood schools due to busing, but your magnet schools are a good bet. BC Charles has a good reputation. Hilton and Deep Park are great schools as well, but are magnet schools. It is a lottery system, unless you live in the shadow zone as we do in Hilton. We moved to this neighborhood for that reason. You can find homes in your price range in Hilton. It is a charming neighborhood with beautiful and unique older homes. Side walks, village shops, library school, and churches all within walking distance.
How old is your son and do you know if he would be in a regular ed program? I hear that Kiln Creek Elementary School has a good program for autistic children, and you don't have to worry about zoning issues if he qualifies for the program. The below website may be of some help to you.

IMO, NN has excellent teachers who work very hard, but the problems are with discipline and a high concentration of children that don't get what they need at home.

Someone mentioned private, but you will not get the services you need for your son if you go private.

If you can visit some schools before you move here, it would help you make a decision. Good luck! We are going through the same thing as my husband just got a new job and we are moving to TN. It is so hard to really find out about the schools unless you are there. If I can answer any questions, let me know.

Newport News Public Schools, Newport News, Virginia

Old 03-08-2008, 01:45 PM

How old is your son and do you know if he would be in a regular ed program? I hear that Kiln Creek Elementary School has a good program for autistic children, and you don't have to worry about zoning issues if he qualifies for the program. The below website may be of some help to you.

My son is 4, he would be in a special education program. He is not ready for mainstreaming and would not be ready for a regular Kindergarten, my goal is to have him integrated by 2d or 3d grade. But that is optimistic.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area