Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 37,264 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to the Hampton Roads area as he is in the USAF and stationed at Langley. We are looking to rent for around 6 months and then hopefully buy a house. We will probably start a family in 2-3 years. Where are the best areas to live? Our priorities are safety, cost of living, and commute to Langley. I have heard good things about Williamsburg and Yorktown, and bad things about Hampton and Norfolk. Any suggestions? I have only been there once before, and we are moving from Oregon.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 06:52 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,422 times
What price range are you considering ? You didn't mention school quality ? Closest & most reasonably priced Hampton, many great neighborhoods within a 10-15 minute drive from Langley. Slightly further away is York County. Between 10-25 minutes depending on where in York County. Further still is Williamsburg/ James City County. 25-45 minutes depending on which part of Williamsburg you are coming from. You can compare schools on www.SchoolMatters.com I know you don't have kids yet but it definitely is something you want to look at. If you compare you will typically see that York County excels in school rankings. Williamsburg would rank second, Hampton behind Williamsburg. Look at the specific schools within each area and try to narrow your search that way. Each area has it's own personality. It's hard to convey the exact felling of each. We are partial to Williamsburg. It offers a certain small town feel, while still offering much to do for young and old.
Most don't want to brave the commute from Norfolk/ VA Beach to Hampton. You have to cross the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. If there is any incident on it or interstate 64 leading to it, you're dead.
Let us know your price range and we will make suggestions !

Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWChica View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to the Hampton Roads area as he is in the USAF and stationed at Langley. We are looking to rent for around 6 months and then hopefully buy a house. We will probably start a family in 2-3 years. Where are the best areas to live? Our priorities are safety, cost of living, and commute to Langley. I have heard good things about Williamsburg and Yorktown, and bad things about Hampton and Norfolk. Any suggestions? I have only been there once before, and we are moving from Oregon.

Thank you in advance!
First and foremost i would eliminate Norfolk due to the fact you have to cross the HRBT.

The area i would recommend most is South York County preferably off Rt. 134 (Margruder Blvd/Hampton Hwy). Easy commute to Langley AFB, the best public schools in Hampton Roads, and very safe. Can be pricey.

Williamsburg is a little far from Langley, much farther than Hampton and York County. Good schools and safe too. Somewhat pricey too.

Hampton is very close to Langley. It does not have the best reputation but it does have nice neighborhoods that are safe and close to Langley. Cheapest of the three. The schools are not on the same level with W-burg or York Co. but there are a few decent ones.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:47 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,429 times
I live in Yorktown and it's a great central location on the peninsula, but Hampton really does have some amazing deals on large waterfront properties within a few minutes to Langely. I'd seriously consider one of the nicer Hampton locations if you don't currently have schoolage children.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 23,215 times
Williamsburg, definitely.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 37,264 times
To Mr Williamsburg - thanks so much for the details on each area! Our price range will probably be $200,000-$250,000, though it could go higher depending if I can get a job once we're out there.

Also thank you everyone else for the replies, they've been very helpful!

Old 10-17-2018, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,017 times
NWChica what did you end up deciding on when you PCSed to Langley. We are heading there next summer and lost on where to live considering the distance from base, safety, good elementary schools, and avoiding flood zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area