Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 08:40 PM

24 posts, read 104,032 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I am relocating to Norfolk in mid-July for 1 year. I recently returned from a long weekend visit to the area, and I believe that I have narrowed my search down to four apartment complexes:

Heritage at Freemason Harbor (Downtown Norfolk)
The Myrtles at Olde Towne (Portsmouth)
Alexander at Ghent
The Cosmopolitan (Towne Center)

So, what do you think? Any recommendations or comments that might help me make a decision?

I am a mid-30s professional that will be working at the Norfolk Naval Station and am looking for a quiet place that is within walking distance of stores, restaurants and entertainment.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 AM

177 posts, read 654,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SojChindo View Post
Hello all.

I am relocating to Norfolk in mid-July for 1 year. I recently returned from a long weekend visit to the area, and I believe that I have narrowed my search down to four apartment complexes:

Heritage at Freemason Harbor (Downtown Norfolk)
The Myrtles at Olde Towne (Portsmouth)
Alexander at Ghent
The Cosmopolitan (Towne Center)

So, what do you think? Any recommendations or comments that might help me make a decision?

I am a mid-30s professional that will be working at the Norfolk Naval Station and am looking for a quiet place that is within walking distance of stores, restaurants and entertainment.

Thanks!
Since you will be working in Norfolk, you probably don't want to deal with going down Hampton Blvd trying to get back to Portsmouth....it is a PAIN.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM

82 posts, read 300,565 times
You are going to have to go down Hampton Blvd to go to all but Towne Center

Old 03-26-2008, 07:51 PM

I've spoken to a few people who tell me that they can get from Olde Town Portsmouth to the Norfolk Naval Station in 15-20 minutes using the midtown tunnel. Does that sound accurate?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:17 AM

29 posts, read 145,624 times
"I've spoken to a few people who tell me that they can get from Olde Town Portsmouth to the Norfolk Naval Station in 15-20 minutes using the midtown tunnel. Does that sound accurate?"

That is possible if you are traveling anytime except rush hour. Going from N to P-town seems to be the harder route- anything between 4-5:30 p.m.

Those apartments you mentioned are a all upper-end in terms of pricing. Have you considered buying a condo instead? There are some fantastic buys in Ghent right now. You would be investing in your future, plus adding a tax write-off. I hate to see someone pay so much in rent.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:39 PM

Unfortunately I am not looking to buy right now. I already own a home in SC and will be in Norfolk for just 11 months before I head off to another (as of yet) unknown destination. I don't mind paying more for the "upscale" environment, but not looking to carry two mortgages at the moment.

I have looked at renting condos or SFH, and currently have found a nice 2-bedroom in the Historic Distric of Olde Town Portsmouth. Any feedback on the safety and quality of life in that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area