Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 12:19 PM

3,735 posts, read 2,562,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Interesting note, Food Lion has locations in rural areas, sometimes being the only grocery store. A similar model Family Dollar and Dollar General have adopted in the last few years.
yeah, Food Lion has had heavy saturation through out the (upper) Southeast. My feeling is Virginia & North Carolina have been Food Lion's to lose. Over the last 20-25 years a lot of different chains have moved in to Food Lion's traditional stronghold. And Food Lion hasn't counter punched very effectively (?) They did that brief, goofy split where they created 'Bloom', but quickly retracted it. There are probably long-standing, rural Food Lions that still thrive, but only bcuz new competitors haven't moved in there yet..

ps- I remember when Food Lion was Food Town, but then changed to 'Lion' bcuz of name rights that belonged to a prior Food Town (somewhere)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 01:21 PM

979 posts, read 1,776,306 times
I don't actually find Food Lion prices to be too high. That award goes to Harris Teeter, hands down.

Kroger is my current go-to. I actually really like the Kroger Marketplace because they carry clothing lines that aren't the same as every other store (how many different stores can you go to just to look at the same Carter's baby clothes over and over?).

I was SO excited for Wegmans. They were my go-to when I lived in NoVA. But here, I think it's just okay. Maybe my buying habits have changed since I moved down here, or maybe this Wegmans is overall less impressive than others, but I only go there for a couple things here and there.

Isn't there a sole Piggly Wiggly in Norfolk? I've never been there, just heard the name.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:48 PM

3,735 posts, read 2,562,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Isn't there a sole Piggly Wiggly in Norfolk? I've never been there, just heard the name.
yeah, near East Princess Anne & Azalea Garden. I think Piggly Wiggly is basically an old Southern chain. I never see Winn-Dixie anymore either. Not sure of Winn-Dixie's fate, or current market, etc.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:06 AM

210 posts, read 417,249 times
Harris Teeter's Monday pizza deal is tough to beat.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:03 AM

553 posts, read 616,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I was SO excited for Wegmans. They were my go-to when I lived in NoVA. But here, I think it's just okay. Maybe my buying habits have changed since I moved down here, or maybe this Wegmans is overall less impressive than others, but I only go there for a couple things here and there.
I believe that that the Virginia Beach Wegmans is slightly smaller than some of the other Virginia locations I've shopped (Midlothian, Short Pump, Fredericksburg, Woodbridge), so there's a little less variety in some areas. This is particularly apparent with the beer and wine section.

Old 12-27-2019, 03:40 AM

230 posts, read 220,322 times
Wegmans will open a large distribution facility in Ashland. I know that the company has several stores currently planned in the Research Triangle, but this location undoubtedly means that we’ll see more stores open in greater Richmond and Hampton Roads in the coming years.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:32 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,519,220 times
The Red Mill area seems to be an underserved market for an upscale grocer.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:20 AM

84 posts, read 60,467 times
There are two Piggly Wigglys in the Hampton Roads area, Newport News and Norfolk, they are owned by the owner of the now gone Be Lo/Fresh Pride chain. There are still a few Farm Fresh stores that were bought by independent operators. One has already closed I believe though.

The Triangle area in NC is the only place in this part of the country that you could say is more competitive in my opinion. They have all the chains of Hampton Roads, plus IGA, Lowes Foods, Sprouts, and Earth Fare, but its close.

The Charleston SC, and Greenville SC markets are also very competitive and getting more so with new chains coming in and new stores opening.

I doubt Food Lion or Harris Teeter are going anywhere, Food Lion may close some locations but they're doing fine, and have convinced everyone they have good prices, people have been saying for years they are in trouble and will be closing stores but nothing has ever come out of it. HT seems to be using the strategy of opening as many stores as possible in all of their markets, so some may close, but if they do leave the market they'll rebrand to Kroger. The chain most likely to leave I'd say is Save A Lot, who bought some of the Fresh Pride stores. I'm not sure if the Hampton Roads store are independent or corporate owned (Save a lot has both) but they are struggling nationwide and seeking to sell themselves. Most of the independent operators are switching to various cost plus format brands. Earthfare also just quietly closed several stores. They have a new location in Williamsburg not too far away.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:15 PM

22 posts, read 30,056 times
Wow, OP, not bad! I live in Manalapan NJ. We are a 10 minute drive to the following: Costco, Walmart (15 min), Whole Foods, Wegmans, Shop Rite. Not to mention 3 excellent Italian specialty shops and Yorktown Bagels which could very well be the best bagel shop on the entire planet. My husband and I are moving in a year or two .... Virginia Beach is near the top of our list and when we found out it had a Wegman's, we were very, very happy. Glad to know there are so many good choices in VA Beach ... I seriously could not be happy living somewhere without many good food options - both grocery and restaurant-wise! One important question: is there a good bagel shop in the VA beach area??

Old 01-13-2020, 11:15 AM

189 posts, read 195,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marls00 View Post
Wow, OP, not bad! I live in Manalapan NJ. We are a 10 minute drive to the following: Costco, Walmart (15 min), Whole Foods, Wegmans, Shop Rite. Not to mention 3 excellent Italian specialty shops and Yorktown Bagels which could very well be the best bagel shop on the entire planet. My husband and I are moving in a year or two .... Virginia Beach is near the top of our list and when we found out it had a Wegman's, we were very, very happy. Glad to know there are so many good choices in VA Beach ... I seriously could not be happy living somewhere without many good food options - both grocery and restaurant-wise! One important question: is there a good bagel shop in the VA beach area??
Yeah New Jersey groceries are spread out pretty good surprisingly. Shop Rite is eh. Acme is over priced garbage Nothing great. Kroger beats Shop Rite easily. Not sure about the bagel shop thing though. More of a donut man and Wal Mart has the best deal on those with their house made ones. Not the krispy kremes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area