Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:20 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times

Advertisements

Yea, but the parking lots close to the boardwalk are privately owned. City lots, yes, I can see where that would be a big help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 02:48 PM

139 posts, read 153,484 times
When confronted with a situation that makes no sense to me, I sit back and ask myself what kinds of context can I place this in that might provide insight as to causes? I then brainstorm to discover an angle on the problem that was not obvious to my first response. Sometimes I discover hidden factors by use of questions and answers... this kind of discover can uncover things concealed against public view for a private business reason... If I lived there, I would ask questions of officials and do research to learn WHY this situation persists when it appears to be so counter-intuitive. Good luck. I did not mean to provoke your hostility by my honest reply...as limited as my experience is about this... YOU live there and only YOU know the truth about what you face. I believe in the power of Freedom of Information Access. I hope you use it to satisfy your questions.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:56 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Abney View Post
When confronted with a situation that makes no sense to me, I sit back and ask myself what kinds of context can I place this in that might provide insight as to causes? I then brainstorm to discover an angle on the problem that was not obvious to my first response. Sometimes I discover hidden factors by use of questions and answers... this kind of discover can uncover things concealed against public view for a private business reason... If I lived there, I would ask questions of officials and do research to learn WHY this situation persists when it appears to be so counter-intuitive. Good luck. I did not mean to provoke your hostility by my honest reply...as limited as my experience is about this... YOU live there and only YOU know the truth about what you face. I believe in the power of Freedom of Information Access. I hope you use it to satisfy your questions.
What hositility? I am asking the same questions. I am looking for community support to continue my quest. So far my answers have been it is always a problem, the tickets are a good source of revenue, etc. None of them seem to be business friendly. My next step is to chat with the local CHAMBER Of Commerce.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:28 AM

No hostility taken...just call our wonderful mayor..she seems to have all the answers. I'm not particularly fond of her or the way she thinks, but that's just my opinion. A parking garage would suit the public much better than the big ol' parking lot they have down there, maybe they should reconsider that. They've got one at town center next to PF Changs, why not build one on the corner lot down at the beach?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:14 PM

132 posts, read 661,055 times
While at the beach last night, I was thinking about this very topic. We usually park at or near the loop and ride bikes. With the addition of the bike lanes on the boardwalk, you can quickly and easily navigate the entire length of the beach. But for those who on a night out without using valet, or staying at a hotel, your choices are limited. The city has conditionally purchased the McDonalds on 22nd and the adjacent lot. This is the gateway to the resort strip, so whynot build a massive parking garage right on the corner of 22nd and Pacific?

Old 04-28-2008, 03:16 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,574 times
I don't think Virginia Beach is any different than any other coastal city in this regard. In Wrightsville Beach, it costs $.25 for 10 minutes of parking at a meter or in the metered lots. If the city built a parking garage, they would likely charge super high prices.
Many locals come up my way to Chesapeake Beach, where parking is free, but limited. Our restaurants (Surfrider, One Fish, Two Fish, Lynhaven Fish House, Bubba's, Chick's, Alexander's on the Bay) blow the ones on the strip away, IMHO. What is the draw of the strip for locals?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:09 AM

JR...many go down there for the entertainment. Abby Roads Pub has some great local entertainment and wonderful food. We especially like to go there to see Big Wide Grin and others that sing folk music. Then there is the concert series that local stations sponsor.
As far as parking garages, the fees would be cheaper than the privately owned lots. I'd rather pay a buck an hour (like the airport) than 15 for the day and only there for a couple hours, but that's just my opinion.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
I don't think Virginia Beach is any different than any other coastal city in this regard. In Wrightsville Beach, it costs $.25 for 10 minutes of parking at a meter or in the metered lots. If the city built a parking garage, they would likely charge super high prices.
Many locals come up my way to Chesapeake Beach, where parking is free, but limited. Our restaurants (Surfrider, One Fish, Two Fish, Lynhaven Fish House, Bubba's, Chick's, Alexander's on the Bay) blow the ones on the strip away, IMHO. What is the draw of the strip for locals?
We go down for the Irish Pub, Abbey Road, Jewish Mother, to take a walk on the boardwalk on a warm night. We like the restaurants up your way, except for having to inhale the fumes of the boats while they wait for their dinners. This has happened on more than one occassion while eating outside at Chicks. My point is not that others do it, but that it appears to be counterproductive to the businesses down there to have hostile signs all over the place. As I stated earlier, if you could count on the taxi service, or did not have to be running out to feed a meter (purchase a pass) the whole situation could be much more delightful.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:49 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,574 times
I totally agree with you, Jane. Before we bought our condo, we stayed at the Oceanfront Hilton a few times and getting a taxi was a major problem. All of our favorite restaurants are away from the strip and we like to have a couple of drinks with dinner, so driving was out of the question. I did think that it was strange in a tourist town that a concierge at a $400/nt. hotel could not get us a taxi. Frankly, I thought it was strange that a taxi or two wasn't waiting outside at night, like in most other cities.
I was honestly just curious about what the strip had to offer for locals. I am in my early 30's and still new to the area and haven't been able to spend a lot of time there, due to the fact that we've been renovating for months. They are finishing up this week, so I plan on spending a lot of time there this Summer. Not to mention that everyone I know is planning to visit and I have to entertain my guests. Thanks for all the info.!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
I totally agree with you, Jane. Before we bought our condo, we stayed at the Oceanfront Hilton a few times and getting a taxi was a major problem. All of our favorite restaurants are away from the strip and we like to have a couple of drinks with dinner, so driving was out of the question. I did think that it was strange in a tourist town that a concierge at a $400/nt. hotel could not get us a taxi. Frankly, I thought it was strange that a taxi or two wasn't waiting outside at night, like in most other cities.
I was honestly just curious about what the strip had to offer for locals. I am in my early 30's and still new to the area and haven't been able to spend a lot of time there, due to the fact that we've been renovating for months. They are finishing up this week, so I plan on spending a lot of time there this Summer. Not to mention that everyone I know is planning to visit and I have to entertain my guests. Thanks for all the info.!
Well if you are ever planning a Thursday night, there is a group of multiaged people that tend to go to the Irish pubs around town. The taxi thing is a disgrace and I never get a drink because I am driving, so that is another loss of revenue for the businesses, all the non drinkers. The parking is inconvenient at best, outrageously expensive, often not available in the summer. The wave bus does not appear to support the bar trade. So there is a lot of reasons why I think the planners are missing the boat here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area