Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 06:20 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,557,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Lot to see in the Historic Triangle of Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg. There is George Washington's Mount Vernon, Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, James Monroes's Oak Hill and James Madison's Montpelier..
Have you ever been to the home of President John Tyler.. just south of Richmond (Sherwood Forest)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 05:54 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Have you ever been to the home of President John Tyler.. just south of Richmond (Sherwood Forest)?
No, I'll put it on my list! Thanks!

Old 05-03-2023, 09:53 AM

184 posts, read 244,957 times
Full disclosure, I am a Realtor and surprised none of the realtors you have spoken to have suggested Suffolk. I have several clients who were stationed at the hospital and bought in Suffolk, between Portsmouth and the Monitor Merrimack Bridge Tunnel area. Travel to/from work through Portsmouth and avoid tunnels. Feel free to DM me if I can be of further help.

Old 05-06-2023, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 4,898 times
Thanks for the various inputs you guys, I actually really appreciate it. I'm dead set on a yard, our dogs are pretty big plus I like a boundary between me and my neighbors. The older I have gotten, I have realized most people don't know how to act properly so the more space to separate me from them, the better! I think I will be staying in the Carrollton / Smithfield area - I have been boots to the ground this past week. I saw some beautiful homes in Williamsburg, but I think the commute would be pretty bad judging from everyone saying to avoid the tunnels. There was a beautiful home in Ghent that just came up within budget, but I would feel suffocated being so close to everyone in that neighborhood. Most of my searching and perception of the area is from google / reddit / you guys, so I appreciate all of the help. I will only be able to visit the area when I'm closing and/or inspecting due to my schedule, unfortunately.

To the user who told me about the youtube videos, I greatly appreciate it. Those have been very helpful, and I've watched a ton.

I have never been to the beach that far north - I'm used to the tepidly warm bath waters of the gulf. What's the preferred beaches in the area? Does the water stay cold year round? ALSO - what is UP with that toll to get to cape charles? That's a racket, my god. I've had dentist bills lower than that.

I have talked to quite a few realtors, and there's a specific one that I think I really enjoy. My only concern with realtors is that they have something to gain from the situation, so I'm always a bit cautious.

Last edited by ccgb33; 05-06-2023 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: werd

Old 05-07-2023, 07:06 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgb33 View Post
…To the user who told me about the youtube videos, I greatly appreciate it. Those have been very helpful, and I've watched a ton.

I have never been to the beach that far north - I'm used to the tepidly warm bath waters of the gulf. What's the preferred beaches in the area? Does the water stay cold year round? ALSO - what is UP with that toll to get to cape charles? That's a racket, my god. I've had dentist bills lower than that.
Glad the video’s helped. I still watch because it’s interesting to see how things change over time.

The water gets down to 45 in the winter and warm enough in the summer to just wear board shorts. I don’t believe it gets above 80 like the gulf can. Different water than the gulf. I’ve surfed in Galveston and found the water there to be a bit more ‘full’ of stuff other than seawater. So here the water may seem less aromatic.

As far as which beaches, it just depends on what you are looking for. I’m a surfer so I prefer 1st street at the oceanfront or going down the the outer banks of North Carolina (less than 2hr drive). North Beach is great if you just want to chill and not have the water be rough.

The toll to cross the Chesapeake up to the Eastern Shore makes it more of a day-trip kind of thing. Personally I think the toll is worth the drive as it’s a beautiful stretch of road and 2 tunnels. Very neat. Ocean City Maryland is up there and has a fantastic boardwalk with tons of cool local shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area