Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:02 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times

Advertisements

After 15 years of driving here, I've decided to start a list of rules to make the drive better for everyone. Add to the list as you see fit.

1- Stay right except to pass. If you're being passed on the right, or someone is behind you, it's time to get over. The left lane isn't where you talk on the phone and drink your Latte!

2- When a lane is ending, and everyone is getting into the other lane, don't be the jacka** that drives past everyone in line and cuts in front of everyone else. You don't push your shopping cart up to the register and cut in front of everyone else, why is it OK to do it on the road?

3- When someone lets you in, WAVE to them!! Nothing bugs me more than going out of my way to cut them some slack and they don't even acknowledge you.

4- Cops don't give each other tickets. If there is a cop sitting the bushes raising revenue (running a speed trap), help out you fellow driver- test your headlights a couple time for traffic entering the speed trap. Notice I didn't say to tip off the oncoming traffic.

5- Don't pull out in front of someone, then turn 100 feet later- especially when there is no one behind the guy you pulled in front of!

What have I forgotten?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 08:23 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
add to #1: or text message!
add to #5: don't pull out in front of someone and slow down! Keep the posted speed.
#6: Don't ride down the interstate with your blinker on. Shut the dang gone thing off after you have made your lane change!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:37 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
6. ((Addition to Erma's)) But make sure you DO use a turn signal for changing lanes. Just make sure to turn it off after you're done.

7. The speed limits are just suggestions. Following the flow of traffic is better for everyone rather than to set your own pace exactly at the speed limit.

8. Obey the signs that stay to remain at least 55mph through the tunnels.

9. If you the person next to you at a stop light has a flat tire or a brake light out (or anything else noticeably wrong), try to let them know.

10. If you're the person with the problem, make sure to THANK the other driver.

11. Trying to merge with traffic going 60mph+ while you're at 40mph is a BAD IDEA! Try to make sure that you're going the same speed as the flow of traffic. Your accelerator is there for a reason.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
8. Obey the signs that stay to remain at least 55mph through the tunnels.
Wow, I can't believe I forgot that one! Drives me crazy!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Wow, I can't believe I forgot that one! Drives me crazy!
Do ya ever wonder WHY they slow down just as they're leaving the end of the tunnel? OMG that is so irritating!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Do ya ever wonder WHY they slow down just as they're leaving the end of the tunnel? OMG that is so irritating!
Maybe they think they can coast up the hill?

Old 06-13-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Maybe they think they can coast up the hill?

That would be a site wouldn't it?

Old 06-13-2008, 10:50 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Got some more!

12. At the 64EB-264EB interchange via 284A, there are DOUBLE WHITE LINES. Please do not attempt to merge over these lines. It's illegal and dangerous - not to mention it causes more backup. Just go to 284B and you'll still end up on 264EB.

13. Please try to watch out for Mopeds and Bicycles. The max allowed speed for a moped-class vehicle is 35 mph and Virginia law states that bikes must ride in the street. Do not glare, give the finger, honk your horn, or attempt to run them off the road.

14. If you have your music up so loud that the bass is shaking my mirrors, I probably won't let you in. In fact, I'm more likely to ignore that you want to get over.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
13. Please try to watch out for Mopeds and Bicycles. The max allowed speed for a moped-class vehicle is 35 mph and Virginia law states that bikes must ride in the street. Do not glare, give the finger, honk your horn, or attempt to run them off the road.
Especially down in Pungo/Back Bay/Creeds! Nothing worse than coming around a corner at 50MPH and seeing a pack of 15 bicycles doing 15MPH

another one:

15. If you're driving down the Interstate and a cop has someone pulled over ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DIVIDER, don't jam on your brakes! Cop cars can't magically fly over the divide to catch you. Of course if you're following rule #7 you don't have to worry.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Especially down in Pungo/Back Bay/Creeds! Nothing worse than coming around a corner at 50MPH and seeing a pack of 15 bicycles doing 15MPH

another one:

15. If you're driving down the Interstate and a cop has someone pulled over ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DIVIDER, don't jam on your brakes! Cop cars can't magically fly over the divide to catch you. Of course if you're following rule #7 you don't have to worry.
16. When you hear a siren behind you, pull over and let it pass. After it passes, let the other cars in front of you pull out so you don't cause ANOTHER accident!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area