Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:41 AM

841 posts, read 4,838,640 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide between getting Cox cable or the new Verizon FIOS. It was just installed in our neighborhood (Chesapeake).
Does any have Verizon FIOS yet? Would you recommend it?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Yep, had it for almost 2 years...love it!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:17 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
We are trying to decide between getting Cox cable or the new Verizon FIOS. It was just installed in our neighborhood (Chesapeake).
Thanks.
I don't have cable tv - and don't really need it or want it. But IF I was going to - FIOS would be it! Cox Cable has horrible service - I hear nothing but complaints from everyone about it. In a storm - the cable tv is the first thing to go. I've heard FIOS is much more stable.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:15 AM

We have the Phone (verizon freedom package), Internet and digital cable (200 channels) for 99 a month. The battery backup for power outage is in your home and we really like the wireless capability.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 AM

Currently we have Cox limited cable (just the strip bare basic channels), wireless internet, and phone. Well, when one of these goes out, they all go out. I don't like having all of my eggs in one basket.
When we lived in Deep Creek, we had Cox limited cable, but had Verizon telephone service. When Hurricane Isabel hit, we were the only ones on the block with phone service. Everyone else had Cox.
So Erma, I'm glad to hear you enjoy FIOS. I think we are leaning towards that for our TV service. I miss HGTV House Hunters!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Currently we have Cox limited cable (just the strip bare basic channels), wireless internet, and phone. Well, when one of these goes out, they all go out. I don't like having all of my eggs in one basket.
When we lived in Deep Creek, we had Cox limited cable, but had Verizon telephone service. When Hurricane Isabel hit, we were the only ones on the block with phone service. Everyone else had Cox.
So Erma, I'm glad to hear you enjoy FIOS. I think we are leaning towards that for our TV service. I miss HGTV House Hunters!
Thanks Summers...we keep the house phone because we both have elderly parents who live out of state. They are not computer people and both live on a fixed income, so calling us is really out of their budget. I actually have my kitchen phone hooked into the wall, unlike the rest of the house phones that are cordless. I actually have a dial tone during power outages!
My brother in southern Illinois has Verizon cell usage, which they just got a little over a year ago. We talk almost everyday and it's great for him with the in-network calling, since he is retired as well. He's on a dish for television, but says if they get FIOS out in the country before he dies, he's getting it!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:47 AM

Oh yes. We also have an "old fashion" phone that plugs into the wall, has the coils that connect the base to the hand held part. I actually prefer land lines to cell phones. I have a cell phone (through Verizon), but I much prefer talking on a land line. The phone is heavier and I can grip it better. We have a cordless landline on our first floor, and the old fashion phone on our second floor.
That's nice you and your brother talk so often!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Oh yes. We also have an "old fashion" phone that plugs into the wall, has the coils that connect the base to the hand held part. I actually prefer land lines to cell phones. I have a cell phone (through Verizon), but I much prefer talking on a land line. The phone is heavier and I can grip it better. We have a cordless landline on our first floor, and the old fashion phone on our second floor.
That's nice you and your brother talk so often!
He's a retired trucker and harley guy, so when he's on his bike at a rally or something, he has his phone. I have mine thru work, so I don't pay for it, but the network is much cheaper for us as well. It used to be when we worked out of state and had sprint, we were charged for every single call, which didn't make sense having a corporate account. I ,like you, prefer the regular phone to chat on or call where there is automated service.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:39 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,461 times
Quote:
Thanks.
Yes I've had it. NO I would not recommend it. I was a little frustrated with Cox, signed up for Verizon FiOS when it came to my neighborhood and had it for two weeks, cancelled FiOS and hated the experience. I would absolutely NOT recommend it to anybody.

There was nothing wrong with the FiOS service. The tv channels were clear, internet speeds were advertised, and phone service was reliable. However, there's a few things I didn't like. The big thing is that the customer support is horrible. I was always on hold for 20-45 minutes before I could talk to somebody. This was usually because I had to be transferred to another department at least twice, one time I even got Verizon-Pennsylvania.

Needless to say, I would say FiOS is a good quality product, but the customer support is horrible if you ever have a problem. Just search the internet and read some horror stories. However, I'm usually never on hold with Cox, the customer support is local in Chesapeake, and I don't get transferred around when I have a problem.

Compared to Cox specifically, I would rate FiOS picture quality about the same quality as Cox Digital Cable. Both are a little better than Cox's Standard Cable with the 70 channels or the Limited. Internet speeds are usually as advertised with both providers. One thing I liked about Cox's internet, was that you could opt for a cheaper internet plan. The economy plan was $19.95 per month and the value plan is $29.95. Both are a lot slower than regular Cox speeds or FiOS speeds, but I like having the option of paying less for a slower internet connection because I don't need those higher-priced, fast speeds because I don't download movies or play video games online. The same is true with television, if you compare Verizon FiOS to Cox Digital Cable Deluxe, you get all the same channels for the same price at about the same picture quality. But with Cox you can scale it back to receive fewer channel tiers, even remove digital cable and go to standard (70 channels) or limited which it sound like you have. This can save a little if you need to utilize that feature in the future.

And Cox has HGTV also! lol You don't even need digital cable so that's another way to keep your bill lower. It's channel 27 on the standard cable.

Overall, I would not recommend Verizon when Cox is an option. Cox has better prices, especially if you scale it back to economy or value internet or standard cable tv (not digital), better customer support, and the quality of the services is similar. Verizon also requires 2 year contracts for service, while Cox has optional 1 year contracts for a lower price, just another small factor, but it still gives some insight into how each company views the customer.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:11 PM

Never ever had a problem with customer service. Verizon does not require a 2 year contract, otherwise I would still be under one.

Here's a response to the Fios vs. Cox

[SIZE=3]James[/SIZE]
Oct 23rd, 2008 at 11:23 pm
I sell fios door to door and I rarely meet cox customers who are paying less. when they are it is because they have basic cable and no long distance. Dont sign a contract with cox. they are only doing that to make it harder for you to switch to fios. Their cancellation fee isn’t enough to stop people from switching anyway.
20mbpsdown 5mbpsup
up to 100HD channels
unlim long distance
$110 a month
free dvr 1 year
\
here is the link for more responses. some like cox, others don't. Personally, I like FIOS
http://runawayjim.org/2007/08/26/ver...ox-high-speed/

Last edited by Erma; 01-12-2009 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area