Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 PM

5 posts, read 16,243 times

Advertisements

Hi--we are getting ready to make our way to Hampton Roads and are still unsure what to do for housing long-term (we have rented an apartment for the time being). We're working with a realtor who has recommended the Fox Hill area of Hampton as a good area in our price range (low 200's), but from reading the posts on Hampton in general, I'm a little wary. Our first priority is a safe, family-friendly neighborhood. We don't want to be an oasis in the middle of a bad section or on a good street right next to a bad one, and I've read that is often the case in Hampton. We don't actually even need to be in Hampton as I will be working in Newport News--we're just going on the recommendation of the realtor that Fox Hill would be a good fit for us.

Is Fox Hill and the area surrounding it a good, safe area to raise kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becausenicematters View Post
Hi--we are getting ready to make our way to Hampton Roads and are still unsure what to do for housing long-term (we have rented an apartment for the time being). We're working with a realtor who has recommended the Fox Hill area of Hampton as a good area in our price range (low 200's), but from reading the posts on Hampton in general, I'm a little wary. Our first priority is a safe, family-friendly neighborhood. We don't want to be an oasis in the middle of a bad section or on a good street right next to a bad one, and I've read that is often the case in Hampton. We don't actually even need to be in Hampton as I will be working in Newport News--we're just going on the recommendation of the realtor that Fox Hill would be a good fit for us.

Is Fox Hill and the area surrounding it a good, safe area to raise kids?
Fox Hill is regarded as one of the best neighborhoods in Hampton. It is a good safe area. Some basic rules of thumb in Hampton and Newport News for that matter are to stay above Mercury Blvd and usually the closer to York County the better.

Fox Hill is good but i'm a little more biased towards Michael's Woods and the Bellegrade neighborhoods because i'm more experienced with them. One thing i missed out on during my years in Hampton was spending a lot of time in that Fox Hill/Back River Rd area. I think that area is a pretty well kept secret.

Depending on where in NN you'll be working i could throw out some recommendations there too.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
I grew up in Fox hill. It's a nice area. The schools are good also. As long as you are zoned for Asbury or Phillips ES and you should have no issues. Also when I lived there one side of Fox hill rd was zoned Kecoughtan and the other Phoebus. You want the Kecoughtan side.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,814 times
Default Foxhill Grandview Riverdale

I am new to Hampton also. I had to sell my home in FL because a sex offender moved in to the house located right next door to where I lived. When I moved to VA the first 2 things I wanted to research on the internet were: A) Location of where all registered sex offenders resided in Hampton Roads. B) Each city's statutes regarding residency restrictions for sex offenders.

Like you, I wanted a nice, safe, family/pet friendly neighborhood. I find the states law enforcement websites usually have easy-to-use (but slow) search engines, which show good maps that actually "pinpoints" each sex offender's own residence and also where they are employed. Details of their conviction are also provided. That was important to me and if it's important to you - well, I think you'll be pleased with the Fox Hill/Grandview area (take a look at the map results). Also, check out Riverdale. For Virginia use the VA State Police website or http://sex-offender.vsp.virginia.gov/sor/zipSearch.html For FL use the Dept. of Corrections Website.

Each city within Hampton Roads has their own set of laws. It was the same way in FL; however, the city where I was living DID NOT have any laws on the books restricting where a registered sex offender could live. My neighborhood there, known to be one with a high concentration of children (because of optimum school zone) was his draw. Within 2 months, after he moved in - the city of Jupiter and almost every other surrounding city within Palm Beach Co., FL had passed legislation stating: registered sex offenders cannot live within 2500' of a school bus stop, place where children are known to congregate, home-business day care, schools etc... Unfortunately, the creep living beside me was "grandfathered" in.

After spending a year of my life trying to find a way to make him move out so that my daughter and I could feel safe in our home, I realized that his rights were protected by the law much more than the right to safety for both my daughter and me. We moved.

Neither myself nor any of my neighbors knew that a sex offender had suddenly become our neighbor until the actual day he moved in. That’s when I found a poster taped to my front door (left by a sympathetic police officer who I later found out was not required by law to notify anybody). Our lives were changed forever because of this tragedy. It was not easy selling the house but that's a whole nother story.[

P.S. I am still searching for Hampton’s restrictions regarding where sex offenders can live – so far I cannot find any thing on the internet. I sure hope that doesn’t mean there are NO restrictions. If that’s the case – would you like to join me at a city hall meeting when you move here?

Last edited by payitforwardworks; 08-01-2009 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: cut paste problem

Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
I don't think there are restrictions regarding where the can live. You may want to check out family watchdog. It's a great site that's not just limited to RSO'S

find registered offenders

Old 08-02-2009, 09:32 AM

69 posts, read 232,050 times
you don't want to move to hampton, i promise. fox hill could be the best part of hampton, but that really isn't saying much. you want yorktown or kiln creek NN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area