Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:09 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukini2 View Post
Hawaii is a liberal state, but unless you have lived here you would not realize Hawaii is the way it is because of simple common sense rules and we all seem to live just fine with them. Rules that make sense like not smoking in common areas such as restaurants, bars and other public places. Even New York and the country of France have outlawed smoking in public places. I think Virginia is a great place, I love the schools, people and history. However it is disappointing to know the leaders of the Commonwealth of Virginia put the welfare of a few (the owners/stockholders of big tobacco) ahead of the health and welfare of it's common citizens (and visitors).

Take care and God Bless you.

Aloha

This is not meant as an offense, but generally speaking, Hawaii, New York, and France are not the first states/nations I think of when I think of "sane political policies".

Whatever works in Hawaii though. It's your state and I wouldn't move there, so it doesn't really concern me, but it seems like Hawaii's liberalism doesn't harm it as much as the outrageous policies in CA and NY do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 06:31 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Washington State was one of the first to go smoke free, but what they did, was accommodate the smokers to upper levels of bar/lounges and nicely covered benches and gazebos outside.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:43 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Washington State was one of the first to go smoke free, but what they did, was accommodate the smokers to upper levels of bar/lounges and nicely covered benches and gazebos outside.
I applaud Washington on this.

I don't see why more states can't take the initiative to handle this in a non-divisive manner.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:31 AM

14 posts, read 55,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
Bet you love the no talking on the cell without a handsfree while driving law in Jersey~
I come from New York and I spent a year in Massachusetts, both whom have a similar law about cell phones while driving and you bet I agree with it. People down here already don't know how to drive, sticking a cell phone in one hand only makes it worse.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiPierro View Post
I come from New York and I spent a year in Massachusetts, both whom have a similar law about cell phones while driving and you bet I agree with it. People down here already don't know how to drive, sticking a cell phone in one hand only makes it worse.
Yep, I love this law! No talking or hands free set on Military Installations either, even in POV's!

Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 PM

120 posts, read 217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Something my mother and I had noticed while visiting two weeks ago was that smoking was allowed in resturants. Really? We were floored.
But not floored by the intrusion of government in to rights of private property owners. wow

Find smoking restaurants in Virginia smokefreelyva.com

Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I applaud Washington on this.

I don't see why more states can't take the initiative to handle this in a non-divisive manner.
Shouldn't be handling it at all. It's inappropriate use of government power. In states where smoking is allowed, the vast majority of restaurants are non smoking. If someone bothered by smoke, well there's your solution. Free Market resolves it every time. Limited Government is the only way to go.

smokefrelyva.com

Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Seriously? It's already been enacted in tons of states and is easy to enforce.. basically it comes down to this: if someone lights up in your establishment you get a hefty fine, if not shut down. Smoking is a disgusting habit, just because you want to ruin your lungs while you eat doesn't mean you need to ruin mine.
Joke, NY has got it, but does not enforce it. If you don't know this, your not getting out.

Quote:
And as far as governments telling business what they can and can't do: How would you feel if there were no health or cleanliness regulations? Laws are (generally) put into place to benefit society as a whole. I moved to VA several weeks ago from NY where smoking in restaurants has been banned for years and I couldn't believe it when I went out to eat here and they still allowed it.
The old ridiculous argument. Smoking is legal, serving tainted food is not. People knowingly dine in smoking restaurants. They don't knowingly dine in restaurants with filthy kitchens.

smokefreelyva.com

Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
A non-smoking section in a restaurant is like having a "non-peeing" section in a swimming pool!
I don't know when some one is peeing in a pool. I do know if their smoking in a restaurant. If it bothers me I'll go where they don't smoke in restaurants.

Quote:

It won't work! And since second hand smoke is the number one cause of cancer we ought to be happy our government is taking care of us. Not!
So now we just make up facts as we go. Second hand smoke is not the number one cause of cancer. But don't worry comrade, your government will take care of you.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
And since second hand smoke is the number one cause of cancer we ought to be happy our government is taking care of us. Not!
Your just blowing smoke. Number one cause my uh well, the thing your blowing smoke up.

Since 1981 there have been 148 reported studies on ETS, involving spouses, children and workplace exposure. 124 of these studies showed no significant causal relationship between second hand smoke and lung cancer. Of the 24 which showed some risk, only two had a Relative Risk Factor over 3.0 and none higher. What does this mean. To put it in perspective, Robert Temple, director of drug evaluation at the Food and Drug Administration said “My basic rule is if the relative risk isn’t at least 3 or 4, forget it.” The National Cancer Institute states “Relative risks of less than 2 are considered small and are usually difficult to interpret. Such increases may be due to mere chance, statistical bias, or the effect of confounding factors that are sometimes not evident.” Dr. Kabat, IAQC epidemiologist states “An association is generally considered weak if the relative risk is under 3.0 and particularly when it is under 2.0, as is the case in the relationship of ETS and lung cancer. Therefore, you can see any concern of second hand smoke causing lung cancer is highly questionable.” Note that the Relative Risk (RR) of lung cancer for persons drinking whole milk is 2.14 and all cancers from chlorinated water ranked at 1.25. These are higher risks than the average ETS risk. If we believe second hand smoke to be a danger for lung cancer then we should also never drink milk or chlorinated water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area