Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 09:33 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,846,808 times

Advertisements

The most asked question on this forum is some variation of: Which school is best? which school district is best? Is this school best? etc.... I am writing this to help folks now and in the future....

First, in Hampton Roads, our school districts are managed by the cities. Our cities are large, so our school districts tend to be large. Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk on the south side of the HRBT (Hampton Roads Bridge Tunne.). I am not as familiar with the other side, but Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg, etc....

Anyway, how to determine the "right" school for you. First, be careful of this school is "good" or this school is "bad". My definition of what I need in a school, (hence good) or what I don't want in a school, (hence bad), may be completely different than yours!! You need to think about your kids, and what you need, first. Are your kids gifted intellectually? are they talented or gifted in the arts? Does your son/daughter have a learning disability? are they twice exceptional (gifted and ld)? Are they an average child? Are they super athletic? Once you know your child than you are going to want to identify the school DISTRICT that supports your childs needs.

Also, are you working parent(s)? Do you need after and before care? are there any schools that help facilitate this? what about after school activities for middle and high schoolers, how will they take advantage and still get home from school? What opportunities for High School that help pave the way for college, like IB programs and academys?

You can visit each of the districts websites and check out their policies on Gifted and Talented, Extra-Curricular, Arts, Athletics, etc. Does your son/daughter excell in swimming? then you may want a district that has a thriving swim program.

Once you have a determined a District or two that aligns with your needs, now it is time to narrow down to the one or several schools that will fit your needs. Most of the area defines itself by the high school boundaries, and then the feeder schools for middle and elementary. So you will find a lot of folks answering: check out xxx high school even though you are interested in the elementary. You will need to determine the high, then you can narrow down to the feeder schools.

That is when I suggest you visit GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools. You will find great information on test scores, teachers, other parents recommendations, etc.

Finally, ask your friends and neighbors for their opinions (in the Navy? you know SOMEONE who has been stationed here, lol!!), ask on this website. But weigh their opinions against your own research.

When I say a particular school is "sought after", I am telling you that clients have requested this school or school district several times. I am not commenting on whether I like it for my son or not... just that others have found it to be one that they would consider for whatever reason.

Good luck on your school and home search.

Shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area