Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 PM

414 posts, read 1,010,064 times

Advertisements

I'm from Ohio so I'm not 100% sure I'm posting in the right area on the Virginia forum...so please forgive me if I'm not!

My husband and I have applied for jobs in Northampton county and I just wanted to know a bit about it. I also wondered if anyone could shed some light on the following areas for us: Crime (a lot or a little)...we have a 4 month old daughter so are there high quality child care centers around, we would be renting so are there good apartments in safe areas? We will stretch our wallets on rent prices to be somewhere safer. What are the biggest problems in the county? And just any other information that might be useful for a young married couple with a daughter who could possibly be relocating there!

Thanks for any help/advice/information you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 04:19 PM

125 posts, read 496,911 times
I think it's a pretty cool area personally. However, it's not for everyone. It's definitely rural. Cape Charles is a really neat place, with a great beach, especially for children; because it's on the Bay side, the water is very calm. It's not all that built up either, although Bay Creek has changed that in the Cape Charles area.

One thing I have noticed is that the locals, while they don't frown on tourist dollars, aren't overly welcoming, and are somewhat resistant to change (although the area is so unspoiled, I can't say that I blame them). Whether or not this is something that would bother you, or if you feel like you'd fit more into that type of atmosphere, only you know.

Here are some quick facts, including crime data, although it's a tad obsolete.

From what I've seen, other than the obvious big money developments, I think life in Northampton can be lived relatively reasonably. While I don't think you'll find an abundance of rental properties, chances are good that what you find will be affordable.

I guess the rest really depends on you. Do you like a rural atmosphere? Are you okay with being somewhat isolated? Do you enjoy nature and living on the water? We've always looked at the area from a visiting perspective as opposed to a living perspective, although we've recently discussed retiring in that area.

I love this website. It's a site developed by an individual and reflects quite a bit of her opinion, but it's also photo-packed and gives you some perspective into the area itself.

Overall, would I enjoy living there? I think that I would. Would I have enjoyed living there as a young married with an infant? I don't think I'd have been so keen on it then, but I think that depends on your background.

Anyway, enough blathering. Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the info. I actually just got called for an interview here in Ohio so I don't really know what will happen at this point.

As far as the rural thing goes...that doesn't bother us. We are from a small Ohio town in rural Ohio so that would probably be a pretty easy transition. I like the idea of it being relatively safe and that there are beaches and still access to a lot of other things to do outside the area. I also like the idea of rent being affordable! I appreciate the help! Hopefully I hear back soon from where I applied.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:15 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
I occassionally travel to Wallops Island in the Chincotique area. Love it! The people on the Island are very friendly and so are the folks who work at Wallops. I agree that the area is rural, but nice and the kids would love the Wild Ponies. You can't blame the locals up there for not wanting their area turned into the touristy type, it is really unique to enjoy the natural habitats

Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 AM

Default agreed

I totally understand why the locals wouldn't want it to become touristy...and personally my husband and I would prefer it wasn't touristy. Everything I've researched sounds great and I felt like I've gotten some good feedback. I actually called where I applied and said they won't be contacting people for hiring until about mid-June, so we'll see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area