Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 8,955 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are both from Hampton Roads and are moving back next month. Ideally we would like a "luxury" one bedroom apartment (or condo) in Newport News, Norfolk, or Virginia Beach.

There are only a few things that are requirements for me and that is: the apartment is safe, there are no bugs, and it was built or remodeled within the last five years or so.

I'd love something with gourmet kitchens, wood floors, etc., but it isn't a deal breaker. We also really love the water so we would definitely be interested in something near it. Ideally we'd like to pay no more than $1400ish a month.

We are planning to come down for a day soon and check out places so I'd like to come up with a good list before then.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 07:56 AM

137 posts, read 203,633 times
Hi,

I'm also looking for that style apartment. The closest that I've found are the Cosmopolitan and Midtown at City View, both in VB. But I don't think either have had wood flooring throughout.

Also, if you are ok with Suffolk, check out Lofts at East Point. They are very nice looking and do have wood floors. If they were in VB, it would be top on my list.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything else!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 AM

125 posts, read 496,783 times
In Newport News, off hand I can think of Park Place Apartments in City Center and Styron Square Apartments at Port Warwick. They're both nice mixed use developments, although neither is really all that close to the water per se.

Newport News, Virginia Beach and Norfolk is a rather large geographical area. Since you're from the area, I assume you're aware of the tunnel traffic. Is that something that wouldn't bother you?

If waterfront is really a selling point for you, you might be better off renting directly from an owner rather than from an apartment complex.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:43 PM

beserker- I saw the Cosmopolitan but they got terrible reviews on Apartment Ratings and several mentioned bugs so that sent me running quickly! I will have to take a look at Midtown at City View, thanks! Definitely not interested in Suffolk or anywhere in that area.

upthecreek- My boyfriend will be working in VB and I will be in graduate school in Williamsburg. Either way, one of us is going to have a long commute through the tunnel. We narrowed the locations down based on both of our preferences/previous experiences with the area, so we are pretty set in being in one of those three localities.

I called City Center (my favorite I've seen so far) and Styron Square- neither have one bedrooms available within the next month, so I'm out of luck.

Any suggetions for finding properties rented by owners? I've been keeping an eye on craigslist, but nothing really so far.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:57 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
I know someone who lived at the Cosmopolitan, and she loved it. She says if she ever gets to move back to the area that is where she would be. I don't remember her saying anything about bugs. Could it be the person who was complaining wasn't clean, so they had bugs?

Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I know someone who lived at the Cosmopolitan, and she loved it. She says if she ever gets to move back to the area that is where she would be. I don't remember her saying anything about bugs. Could it be the person who was complaining wasn't clean, so they had bugs?
There were multiple reviews that said that I believe, and the ratings would have been really low if not for a ton of suspicious positive reviews that were posted almost everyday for weeks. Makes me feel like something weird is up.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 AM

26 posts, read 83,417 times
I'm not sure how "luxury" you are looking for, but my husband and I have been searching as well. It sounds like we have a lot of the same 'wants' in an apartment. We were very impressed with Maple Bay Townhomes...you could even have a two bedroom within your price range. We were actually very pleasantly surprised with the place, it is within walking distance to upscale shopping as well as pharmacies and grocery stores. It is only four miles away from the beach and is also close to medical offices and Virginia Beach General Hospital. It has newly remodeled kitchens that are actually pretty large as far as apartments go. The landscaping was nice and the neighborhood seemed very safe and we even drove through at night, just to be sure. A guy that my husband went to college with is actually living there and says he has no complaints with staff or the townhomes...the ONLY thing he complained about was the jet noise. So, unless the jet noise will bother you, you might want to check them out! Hope this helps!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 AM

rlajb- Thanks for the info! It looks like a nice place but I think the jet joise would probably really bother me. I am glad you brought that up because it's something I definitely need to consider in VB, I guess!

Old 04-30-2010, 09:13 PM

17 posts, read 61,821 times
You should check out Ghent Village in Norfolk. I have a friend who lives there, and loves it... I don't think it has hardwood floors, but it does have crown molding and the kitchen looked nice (certainly not gourmet though, but it did have tall kitchen cabinets). It's a fabulous location, right there in downtown Norfolk.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:38 AM

61 posts, read 155,536 times
My family spent a summer in Harbor View apartments in downtown Portsmouth. There was a great view. We got the apartment free through my husband's company, and I don't know the current rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area