Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 05:45 PM

67 posts, read 404,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openless View Post
umm there is a strong hint of gang activity. but generally its nice. i wouldnt leave your car unlocked with the windows down at night. there is a lot of drug dealing and petty theft. occasionally burglaries and muggings. harrisburg has about 1 homicide a month, and about maybe 3 or 4 assaults, shootings and stabbings. it is almost always a 'thug' being shot by another 'thug' who disrespected him. i think about 5 or 6 years ago a little girl got shot by crossfire, the shooter got caught immediately. there was a killing outside of a bar on 6th street there a few months ago. but the guy was a drug dealer, he shot another drug dealer. you should be mindful of your personal safety, but i wouldnt worry too much. they schools are bad, kids are very very ignorant and profane. i would not under any circumstances send them to a school anywhere in harrisburg, unless it was private. there are many areas where police do not patrol, there are drug dealers in broad day light selling stuff. there is also a 'gang' of kids in the area who have a gun. i had a friend opn reel street, right off of 6th, and they showed it off like nothing. 3 people on the block sold dope. there were always petty thefts, like they would take ice cream from the ice cream man and run without paying. they do have poly clinic, a great vietnamese rest. at 3rd and reily called Garden. they area is kind of run down and has many vacant buildings and run down homes. but its on the upswing, it has seen a lot of developments in recent years. hacc is very close as is the farm show. so is interstate 81.
NOTE: When living in the usa dont live in a city. Move to suburbs where tax money pays for police problem is solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 09:22 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabyte View Post
NOTE: When living in the usa dont live in a city. Move to suburbs where tax money pays for police problem is solved.
So, the tens of millions of people living in cities across the US are idiots? This is trolling at its finest. Posts like this serve no purpose at all. None. Zippo.

What did we learn from you? You like suburbs. Great. This person was asking about the city of Harrisburg. So, in that respect, you've contributed nothing at all. Thanks.

SOOOOOO, to answer your question. Sure there are gangs in Harrisburg. There are gangs in every single city with more than 20,000 people in the US...and that INCLUDES THE EAST AND WEST SHORES of Harrisburg. It also includes the suburb you are living in right now. The thing about posts likening Cameron Street to a "War Zone" is that they do nothing to tell you about the community at all. Cameron Street is an urban street in a medium sized city. It is no more dangerous than Times Square in NY or South Street in Philly. There's lots of people out during the day, and contrary to the suburbanites on this message board, there is no rash of indiscriminate bullets wizzing around (I worked on Cameron St from 1999-2005). Gangs tend to kill other gang members. Drug dealers tend to kill people that are trying to steal their drugs. Not planning on engaging in those activities? You'll be just fine. Is it a nice place? I wouldn't say that....for the money, there's better to be had around...go up near Bishop McDevitt IN THE CITY and you can get a nice, safe, 4 bedroom colonial for less than you'd pay for a 2 bedroom condo on Long Island. It is my experience that people living in the suburbs, "With their shotguns"??????, are completely off-base when they assess their own security anyway- most are blind to the fact that crime is in their backyard. Somehow I think a Lexus and 2 acres of land insulates otherwise sane people from reality. Bottom line: Harrisburg is a city with lots of people in a small area. To that extent, there will be some crime. It is no more "gang-ridden" than any other city, and actually less so when compared to other East Coast cities like New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore.

Cap

Last edited by CaptainObvious; 07-15-2007 at 09:44 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
So, the tens of millions of people living in cities across the US are idiots? This is trolling at its finest. Posts like this serve no purpose at all. None. Zippo.

What did we learn from you? You like suburbs. Great. This person was asking about the city of Harrisburg. So, in that respect, you've contributed nothing at all. Thanks.

SOOOOOO, to answer your question. Sure there are gangs in Harrisburg. There are gangs in every single city with more than 20,000 people in the US...and that INCLUDES THE EAST AND WEST SHORES of Harrisburg. It also includes the suburb you are living in right now. The thing about posts likening Cameron Street to a "War Zone" is that they do nothing to tell you about the community at all. Cameron Street is an urban street in a medium sized city. It is no more dangerous than Times Square in NY or South Street in Philly. There's lots of people out during the day, and contrary to the suburbanites on this message board, there is no rash of indiscriminate bullets wizzing around (I worked on Cameron St from 1999-2005). Gangs tend to kill other gang members. Drug dealers tend to kill people that are trying to steal their drugs. Not planning on engaging in those activities? You'll be just fine. Is it a nice place? I wouldn't say that....for the money, there's better to be had around...go up near Bishop McDevitt IN THE CITY and you can get a nice, safe, 4 bedroom colonial for less than you'd pay for a 2 bedroom condo on Long Island. It is my experience that people living in the suburbs, "With their shotguns"??????, are completely off-base when they assess their own security anyway- most are blind to the fact that crime is in their backyard. Somehow I think a Lexus and 2 acres of land insulates otherwise sane people from reality. Bottom line: Harrisburg is a city with lots of people in a small area. To that extent, there will be some crime. It is no more "gang-ridden" than any other city, and actually less so when compared to other East Coast cities like New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore.

Cap
What are you talking about I have posted many messages in this thread. Im telling you if you dont like crime in any city live in the suburbs we dont have crime out here. Whats the purpose for living in the city limits the rental/own prices are the same or higher than the suburbs the schools are dramatically better in the suburbs the shopping is much cheaper and more choices. Stop me if im saying anything thats wrong. This person is totally off base. You can go downtown anytime you want. In Harrisburg there is about 1 murder per week which is bad but not to the point where you cannot drive through some of the worst areas like allisonhill which would be considered the hood and well it is. I have ridden my motorcycle with people who live in the hood allison hill and have had no problems at all. If you dont mess with people they wont mess with you. About shotguns and the suburbs statistics dont lie people who are armed dont get robbed as much as easy unarmed families. I cannot remember the last home breakin in the 15 years I have been here. We never have gun crimes let alone murder not one has ever happened. No drive by shootings of any kind, not even people shooting their guns on july 4th people just dont do it because they respect the laws and common decency. Because most of my suburbs is farm area and new housing areas everyone has some kid of firearms hunting/fishing is a way of life out here. Out here when a deer gets run over and is still alive we shoot the deer to put it out of its pain the state police thank us because for them to do it its alot of paperwork. The deer is then collected by the fire department who dresses the deer and donates it to needy families as steaks. People in the suburbs help their neighbors. Example when I was at costco a young family couldnt start their car so the gas station attendant used his secret jump start battery pack I talked to him as to why he violated costco policy (insurance reasons forbid retailers to help with car maintenance) he said its just his way. I told him I would have helped the family by using my jumper cables he said hes used to doing it and he had them out of the gas area in less than 30 seconds. Its just the way things are done in the burbs. I can always count on my neighbors for anything and I dont even know them very well its just understood we all help each other. Who hasnt mowed the lawn of the neighbor who is old enough to be your great grand mother. Nobody even thinks twice.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 24,049 times
Default Uptown Harrisburg

is very nice, compared to other parts of the burg.

Be sure to keep your car doors locked though and lights outside can't hurt. Lots of theft up that way. People come from the other parts of the city to do their thieving in the nice area.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
if you dont like crime in any city live in the suburbs we dont have crime out here.
Quote:
Stop me if im saying anything thats wrong.
Then I will stop you right there.

Quote:
I cannot remember the last home breakin in the 15 years I have been here. We never have gun crimes let alone murder not one has ever happened
In 2005, the last year for which there are complete statistics, Hershey PA had a total of 38 violent crimes, 117 crimes against property-including 19 robberies and 89 incidents of grand-theft (i.e. "breakins"). 2 incidents of arson and even 1 rape. source: Federal Bureau of Investigation - Research FBI Records & Information

I think Hershey, PA is one of the nicest and safest areas in all of Pennsylvania. However, to say "we don't have crime out here" is misleading at best.

Captain

Last edited by CaptainObvious; 07-16-2007 at 02:45 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 02:23 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,728 times
Uh, there isn't a murder in Harrisburg every week. And megabyte, you look like a complete fool considering the last murder in this area took place in West Hanover Township. Awfully close to you and totally suburban, one of those places you have been promoting on this board recently! And there was a shooting a few days ago in Lower Paxton Township...which is all suburbs. The city has actually been pretty safe recently.

In Harrisburg like most cities in depends on the block. There are some amazing homes and some very good deals to be had -- because most people in Central PA are suburban-minded and overlook the city. Old historic rowhomes and Victorians that would go for millions in NYC or Philly go for less then $100,000 here.

Last edited by danwxman; 07-16-2007 at 03:00 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I can always count on my neighbors for anything and I dont even know them very well its just understood we all help each other. Who hasnt mowed the lawn of the neighbor who is old enough to be your great grand mother. Nobody even thinks twice.
The idea of community ORIGINATED in the city. In fact, these statements hold true for city neighborhoods more so than suburban in my opinion. The sense of community is often strongest in cities where generations of the same family have inhabited the same blocks, where local leaders live amongst "the people", where you pass your neighbors walking to the corner store. You're fighting a losing battle if you are going to hang your hat on "community" making the suburbs "better than" the city.

Captain

Last edited by CaptainObvious; 07-16-2007 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjen View Post
is very nice, compared to other parts of the burg.

Be sure to keep your car doors locked though and lights outside can't hurt. Lots of theft up that way. People come from the other parts of the city to do their thieving in the nice area.
Ow man always lock your stuff up anywhere on the planet. If your vacationing in antartica lock your skidoo. Basic common sense. In the military your sent to the man for leaving your locker unlocked as your the problem with stealing. Lock you stuff up period. I have a german shepherd that can open unlocked doors need I say more? You want my dog licking her butt in your drivers seat? Plus how are you going to get her out of your car she loves to go bye byes and the only way to get her out is to take her for ice cream.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
The idea of community ORIGINATED in the city. In fact, these statements hold true for city neighborhoods more so than suburban in my opinion. The sense of community is often strongest in cities where generations of the same family have inhabited the same blocks, where local leaders live amongst "the people", where you pass your neighbors walking to the corner store. You're fighting a losing battle if you are going to hang your hat on "community" making the suburbs "better than" the city.

Captain
Argh then you live in the city. I would rather not be bothered by anyone and have zero friends. Then have to deal with people 5 feet from me. When your wetwall shares with someone else and you can hear them yelling then you can say well thats community spirit yippie! Now go and bang on the wall.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Uh, there isn't a murder in Harrisburg every week. And megabyte, you look like a complete fool considering the last murder in this area took place in West Hanover Township. Awfully close to you and totally suburban, one of those places you have been promoting on this board recently! And there was a shooting a few days ago in Lower Paxton Township...which is all suburbs. The city has actually been pretty safe recently.

In Harrisburg like most cities in depends on the block. There are some amazing homes and some very good deals to be had -- because most people in Central PA are suburban-minded and overlook the city. Old historic rowhomes and Victorians that would go for millions in NYC or Philly go for less then $100,000 here.
Yeah I heard about that one well it just happened it still goes along with my anti crime statement she had her throat cut. Im sure its going to be an estranged husband which can happen anywhere. It stands to reason you can always find a murder if you search hard enough when was the last one before this one? I saw a CNN report of a national guardsmen shooting his estranged wife through a window with a high powered sniper rifle (deer rifle). Crime can happen anywhere. Its just not expected.

My problem with W. Hanover is the taxes which are real high and maybe going higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area