Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 06:04 PM

6 posts, read 15,906 times

Advertisements

Hi All. I'm pursuing a job at DLA (Defense Logistics Agency) in New Cumberland and am starting to research info on the area, especially the commute and traffic conditions in the Harrisburg area. We would be moving from the Northern Virginia area (I work in DC) and the commute and traffic are one of the main reasons I'm looking at something in PA. My commute right now, best case/best conditions, is a little over an hour each way. Bad days run from 1 1/2 to 3 hours each way. I'd also like to avoid any toll roads.

My second concern is flood zones. This is definitely something I need to start looking into. Any links where I can find this info? I'll be researching this later tonight.

A few places I've been looking into: Camp Hill, New Cumberland and Derry Township. From what I've read they're all nice, but can't find any info on traffic issues and commute issues.

Any info on what places and roads to avoid would be greatly appreciated!

Also...we're looking for something nice and quiet, with things to do outdoors (fishing/hiking/mountain biking, etc) and a nice little downtown area. Low key and laid back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Coming over from Derry Twp the Turnpike is by far the nicest way to go. If you have EZpass it's harder to see what that sucks out of your budget. On a conventional day shift I-83 will slow down southbound a little from I-283 to the river, northbound in the afternoon will be slower from PA 581 up to I-283.

Also in the AM I-83 northbound will stack up from downtown Hbg to and sometimes past the exit for the DLA if you are thinking of places to the south.

Flood maps can be seen on the fema.gov web site which is not very user friendly but eventually you will find them.

For most relocatees Harrisburg city (except for the hipster downtown/midtown areas) and Steelton/Highspire have less appeal due to crime/drug issues. Nearly all other areas are very safe.

New Cumberland borough (what a small incorporated town is called in PA) is walkable with some shops and services. It's isolated from the river and flooding on the tributary Yellow Breeches Creek is sometimes an issue. The address and schools are shared with Fairview Twp/York County where the DLA is and its wooded hills hide shacks to million dollar-plus estates. Parts of New Cumberland, Lemoyne, Camp Hill, and Lower Allen and East Pennsboro Twps have stable walkable neighborhood areas, the roads are generally too narrow and slow but from any of these you don't have far to go.

Further up the Yellow Breeches Creek the uber-cute community of Boiling Springs is where the Appalachian Trail intersects a noted fly fishing area. Back roads around here are also great for road biking but not so good for getting over toward the DLA which might be a half hour commute. Mountain biking areas tend to be north of Harrisburg other than small bits here and there.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info ki0eh! Appreciate it!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:16 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
As usual, ki0eh nailed it. I have little to add.

Speaking purely to traffic considerations, I've always felt that the west shore sees more gridlock and overall congestion than the east shore. I have absolutely no technical data to back this up -- it's just my own observation.

If you can provide a little more information (see the "help for new posters" sticky), we might be able to give you some better suggestions. Otherwise, all the towns you suggested are fine -- though if you're looking into Derry Township, you will DEFINITELY want to take the Turnpike. I-83 from the I-283 interchange to the west side of the river can be a nightmare during rush hour.

I learned to fly at Capital City Airport, so I know the commute into New Cumberland well. It's almost exactly 15 minutes from downtown Harrisburg to there, door-to-door, during rush hour.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the replies so far...here's some more info.

When are you moving? Hopefully within the next two months.
Where are you coming from? Northern Virginia
Why are you moving? New job, need a change of scenery
Where will you be working? DLA
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Buy, but may rent first.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Single family home...up to $200k

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with two boys, 13 and 18.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? Yes, four Chihuahuas...and a few snakes
Do you want or need a yard? Yes, both.
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work - Commute under 1 hour.
Shopping - close would be good.
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - close would be good.
Nightlife - Don't care.
Train or subway stations - Don't care.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Doesn't matter...

Phillies, Pirates or Orioles? Nationals???

Fairview/Newberry/Warrington townships look pretty good...

Old 09-01-2011, 07:16 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Okay - with that in mind, you've got a lot of options. But I would definitely rule out most of Harrisburg proper, as the city schools are notoriously awful.

I think you'll be really hard-pressed to NOT find something suitable close to your job. New Cumberland itself is good, though a good heavy rain will flood parts of the town - be sure to ask when you're looking around. There are some new developments south of New Cumberland along Old York Road, but I'm not sure if those are rentals or for sale. I'd also look into Lemoyne, Wormleysburg, and Camp Hill. Even going all the way to Mechanicsburg, you'll still be within an hour of New Cumberland.

Areas like Chambers Hill (near the I-83 / I-283 interchange, east of PA-441 and south of US-322) will keep you close to the city amenities and give you rural-flavored suburban living. With some shortcuts, you can probably reach New Cumberland in about 30-45 minutes during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area