Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:08 AM

9 posts, read 15,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCG2015 View Post
Im curious what zip codes you're searching? There are around 40 zips just for Harrisburg and the areas will very tremendously from one end to the other. I don't doubt you'll see some on there in that range just keep in mind where they're located. Those pics can be deceiving. Harrisburg has a very high crime rate in areas like that. If you're okay in that scenario that it shouldnt be an issue but I couldnt imagine anyone not armed with at least a gun and a cpl pitbulls moving into areas like that. Im not sure how city life is in AZ but its very dangerous in certain parts of Harrisburg. I also wouldnt keep any valuables in the house either. Don't assume you can trust a realtor either b/c they want to move that property so they can collect the commission and get it off their hands.
also keep in mind how long those properties have been on the market. you may not be able to unload in a cpl yrs when you want to get out. Chances are they've already been sitting there for awhile and more than likely have back taxes owed which you will have to pay upfront plus any inspections/repairs needed to get the place up to code to be considered livable.
Im not trying to be mean here or anything like that just realistic. Coming from AZ you may go into a bit of shock there.

Thank you. This is more along the lines of the info I am looking for. So far I have tried to stay on the west side of the river. But I have also looked at Progress and Paxtang areas as well as parts of Middletown. At this point I am using the school rankings to base my search as that is the only real reference point I have to go by. Any thoughts on these areas? Any zips you.would recommend? Where is the worst?

As far as safety. Yes we own guns. Yes Phoenix has a high crime rate. We are a family moving from a city with a population of over a million...

My idea of crime and ghetto is probably very different from yours...

You always lock your cars and houses. You hear police helicoptors overhead at least once a week etc... and I live in a nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 07:53 AM

62 posts, read 84,156 times
Im only familiar with certain parts so I really don't know which to recommend since the areas can vary drastically even within the same zip code and I know those places I go would not have anything in the price range that you are looking for.

Keep in mind locks don't mean much in those areas, you would be in what would be considered the ghetto for lack of better word.

I would try searching using the zip codes near your school or your partner's work. Keep in mind our winters are dreadful with tons of Ice and Snow too so you also have to keep your winter commute in mind.

You may be able to find something more affordable in Middletown . Our corp. office was located there but I only went thru it a few times. Seemed kind of a depressed area but that could have just been the area I was driving thru.

If you find something appealing you could post link and I can maybe find out more about that specific area vs going thru all 40+zips.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
This thread sparked my curiosity about the median house prices in the US and also in Harrisburg.

There are different sources and different figures and I've discounted Zillow and Trulia as someone else here described them as inaccurate and unreliable sources.

According to The Huffington Post the average cost a house in the entire US is $189,000 (this is less than I imagined ... I thought it was closer to $250,000). According to governing.com in Harrisburg it's $142,000.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 15,042 times
I am looking at a few places in Enola, just east of East Penssborro Park. Any opinions on that area?

Old 08-05-2015, 10:29 AM

633 posts, read 640,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Basically you are asking us to assist you in making a poor decision. 50k will get you a property in the ghetto, in a flood zone, something that needs another 50k to make it livable or a mix of the three.

On top of that you only plan on living in the property 2-3 years which will prompt the realtor to suggest you rent.
This is the best post here. OP is in absolutely no shape to be buying anything. Renting is by far the better option.

Take the 50K, invest it in a low fee fund (like the vanguard total market or similar), generate interest on it and you will come out financially in better shape than trying to buy a 50K wreck and make it liveable for 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This thread sparked my curiosity about the median house prices in the US and also in Harrisburg.

There are different sources and different figures and I've discounted Zillow and Trulia as someone else here described them as inaccurate and unreliable sources.

According to The Huffington Post the average cost a house in the entire US is $189,000 (this is less than I imagined ... I thought it was closer to $250,000). According to governing.com in Harrisburg it's $142,000.
The national number is definitely off- median (not average) existing home price is about 236K. Median new is closer to 280K.

The harrisburg number is pretty accurate though, about 150K. looking for a home 3 times lower than the median will get you some truly nasty property.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:12 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
Buying a house to live in for only 2-3 years will most likely be a financial loss. You buy the house outright (paying cash as you say), in 3 years you may be able to sell it for what you paid for it, but after paying the real estate fees, transfer taxes and closing costs (yes, the seller does sometimes have to pay part of the closing costs to unload the house) as well as the living expenses, taxes and insurance while you were living there, and fixing any issues that need to be brought up to code~you're more than likely going to be getting out of the house less than what you paid. Real estate is just not jumping by huge percentages in that price range or that area.

Rent. Most investors, economists and even a good realtor will tell you that you should live in a house for 5+ years to break even on the "investment". As others have suggested, you should invest the money.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:04 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I'm baffled by some of the posts here. I know, based on the MLS, that there are many liveable old townhomes in the city of Harrisburg for less than $50,000. Yes, some of these may be in less desirable neighborhoods, but certainly not all of them are in unsafe areas. It is much more likely that the city has depressed home prices in urban neighborhoods. Personally, I would take advantage of that. I am saying this as someone who has purchased three homes for less than $50,000 in the Pittsburgh area. All except one were in good, liveable condition, and all three were in safe (relatively speaking) neighborhoods. Harrisburg is not Pittsburgh or McKeesport, but I'm sure one could do the same thing there.

I'm just going to leave this right here (230 properties found under $50k in Harrisburg): http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...na-50000/sby-2

This one, for example, is a beautiful house in a great neighborhood (Midtown Historic District):

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...8-76040?row=19

Old 08-27-2015, 10:30 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I'm baffled by some of the posts here. I know, based on the MLS, that there are many liveable old townhomes in the city of Harrisburg for less than $50,000. Yes, some of these may be in less desirable neighborhoods, but certainly not all of them are in unsafe areas. It is much more likely that the city has depressed home prices in urban neighborhoods. Personally, I would take advantage of that. I am saying this as someone who has purchased three homes for less than $50,000 in the Pittsburgh area. All except one were in good, liveable condition, and all three were in safe (relatively speaking) neighborhoods. Harrisburg is not Pittsburgh or McKeesport, but I'm sure one could do the same thing there.

I'm just going to leave this right here (230 properties found under $50k in Harrisburg): http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...na-50000/sby-2

This one, for example, is a beautiful house in a great neighborhood (Midtown Historic District):

you're right, for that price its a steal cuz the bloods & crips make for a great neighborhood watch when they're not trying to break into your car.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:23 AM

62 posts, read 84,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post

LOL at great neighborhood, that area has a crime score of 3 out of a possible 100 with 100 being the safest. What a comfort knowing you're in an area that is safer than just 3% of all the cities in the country. so it may be a tad safer than say Detroit's inner city but not by much.

From the crime stats...

17102 has 678% more property crime than Harrisburg Metro, and is 180% above the nation’s average. 17102, has 1166% more personal crime than Harrisburg Metro and when compared to that of United States, 17102 is 339% above the national average.

there's a reason the house went from 70K to 49K in the year it's been on the market.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:11 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I've walked that section of Harrisburg many times and the Midtown area is just beautiful, full of well kept homes.

There is obviously an urban professional scene and lifestyle in the city of Harrisburg and it's not just my imagination. For whatever reason, the people who live in the trendy urban areas of Harrisburg are not represented on this message board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area