Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,206 times

Advertisements

We've recently moved to York for my husband's job at the local VA clinic. We're currently living over in West York, but his work is over on the east side. We're still renting but can't decide where exactly we want to buy. He's said most of his coworkers are from the Lancaster area (they say it's due to crime). We enjoy camping, hiking, biking, and family activities. We moved from Kansas City, MO which has many family friendly events & activities. So basically, what are your guys recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 06:38 AM

121 posts, read 260,076 times
With all due respect to your husband's co-workers, anyone commuting from the Lancaster area solely because of crime is an idiot. Since you have no pre-existing ties to the area, I'd look for an area that has a convenient commute for your husband. Since he works in East York, I'd look at Hallam, Wrightsville, Windsor, Manchester, Mt. Wolf as possible areas since they would offer the outdoor family activities you are looking for. JMO but there is no benefit to living in Lancaster over York unless you have already laid your roots down there and don't want to move.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:13 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
Are school system's important? If they are I would definitely recommend moving to the York Suburban, Central or Dallastown areas.

If he's working in East York, the area to the east of 83 offers lots of diversity in terms of out door activities. Hiking at Chickies Rock, accessibility to Susquehanna River, and township activities at Springettsbury Park, John Rudy Park, Rocky Ridge etc. It's only 20 minutes to Lancaster and as another poster said, it's crazy to commute that Route 30 just for crime. East York is fine. The Rail Trail from the city either south to MD line, if you're uncomfortable starting in the city, go the area near York College or further south to park and ride.

We lived and worked in York for 23 years and I always felt safe, thought the cost of living was excellent and found people to be pleasant and helpful. The proximity to Harrisburg airport (and the option to scoot up 441 instead of taking 83/tpk) was an advantage, and we found everything we needed to survive in York or the occasional trip to Lancaster. Farm markets, Eastern Market, pick your own places, theatres, restaurants, shopping, museums etc. were all wonderful.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:50 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Although there is some nice hiking in Lancaster and York counties, mostly in the hills near the Susquehanna River (largely on property purchased by power companies in the early 20th century), if you measure your hikes in miles rather than yards, the South Mountain region South Mountain Partnership | in the middle of the Carlisle/Gettysburg/Hagerstown triangle, and the Home - Kittatinny Ridge corridor northeast and northwest of Harrisburg, and the Seven Mountains region northwest of Harrisburg offer greater hiking opportunities. Of course the commute is every day, but for a tiebreaker direction perhaps northern York County would be the area to look at.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,766 times
I grew up in Philadelphia, and my husband moved our family to Central Pennsylvania kicking and screaming! It's been 20 years and I couldn't have wished for a better outcome for my children, their education and all around experience. While I settled in the Hershey area, I love both Lancaster and York and would have considered either one had my husband's job taken us in that direction. If you are concerned about crime, you can always check the crime rates. There are lots of great sites out there. I recommend spot crime dot com

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-05-2016 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: removed the realtor references

Old 01-02-2016, 11:37 AM

496 posts, read 396,020 times
East York especially a home in the York Suburban school districtETA: I just saw this is an old post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area