Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:03 AM

6 posts, read 18,747 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are moving to eastern PA. We have locked down on the following area of the state. Debating between Lancaster/Reading/York/Harrisburgh. I'm assuming that each area might have something a little better or worse than the other. Anyone living in these areas or knowledgeable about them that can give decent comparrisons on the overall living environments. Thanks ahead of time on any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,442 times
You don't say where you are moving from,but I will tell you about the Reading area as I have lived here for 54 years. I consider Reading and surrounding Berks county as mostly urban.....that means traffic issues at drive times and high crime rates in the city. Having said that,some of the things we offer are first class minor league Baseball,Hockey,and Indoor Football. Great Concerts....Outstanding Parks and Recreational Areas....Mountains to the north....and some pretty darn nice people!

Good Luck on your move !!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:19 PM

We are moving from cheyenne WY which we both hate. She is originaly from Middletown/Barryville NY. and I from Annapolis MD.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,782,509 times
Seems like Harrisburg area is more open to outsiders than Lancaster - the state government; companies such as Rite Aid, Harsco, and Hershey; the Penn State medical school in Hershey; the War College in Carlisle, and logistics bases in New Cumberland and Mechanicsburg; and the trucking industry; all create a greater exchange of population in greater Harrisburg than in Lancaster.

York County, especially the southern areas, is being overrun with folks who move up from Maryland.

PA is very compartmentalized, somewhat reflecting the heritage of "little boxes" of local government. You can turn a corner and seeming move back 50 or 100 years. This variation occurs on a sub-zip code geographic level. If you narrow your choices a little further then read carefully the postings in the appropriate city for further guidance. There's a lot of info on here.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 16,267 times
I live in York currently, although I'm originally from the Reading area. I loved growing up in Berks County. Although there definitely can be urban areas, I lived in a VERY rural area and enjoyed being able to drive half an hour to "civilization". In terms of York, I live downtown, and it's a mixed bag. Very strange development patterns--a gorgeous, high-income block can be followed by one that is a bit ghetto. Wonderful library system, and decent people.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:16 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkstheguineapirate View Post
I live in York currently, although I'm originally from the Reading area. I loved growing up in Berks County. Although there definitely can be urban areas, I lived in a VERY rural area and enjoyed being able to drive half an hour to "civilization". In terms of York, I live downtown, and it's a mixed bag. Very strange development patterns--a gorgeous, high-income block can be followed by one that is a bit ghetto. Wonderful library system, and decent people.
This is true of a lot of cities in PA. One block is beautiful, the next block is a disaster.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:51 AM

5 posts, read 9,894 times
I will have to 3rd what others have said about the odd mix of blocks. Being born and raised in York, that is something that has always been in my lifetime, and truth be told, in some parts of the city, the "bad" blocks are becoming more numerous.

That being said- as to the OP, it depends what you want out of your area.

Harrisburg has a larger city feel, and has the traffic to prove it. It has a booming nightlife and entertainment is abound. Government and hospital jobs up that way. York tries to be a bigger city, and is getting there, but not sure if that is a good thing or not. However, I do like the proximity to other places in York, it's a hub, and has a history of such, in particular the manufacturing aspects. Still is to some degree. That being said, manufacturing jobs are dying everywhere, and York is no exception. Lancaster has the Amish charm so to speak, and that is more rural life out that way, in particular once you get out past Lancaster tward Philly.

I'd put Lancaster and York on the same scale with size and culture, however different. York is in the midst of a revitilzation effort, and there are alot of new night clubs, restaraunts, entertainment facilities. I don't agree a 100 percent with it, as the money could of been better spent elsewhere, but you have what you have.

All the areas are of a rich history, if you are into that. Harrisburg and York, having some in thier own right, but also being short drives to Gettysburg, and not much further to Chambersburg (where I currently reside). So rich bases in the Civil and Revolutionary Wars.

Colleges are aboud in the area, and really depends, again, what you are looking for. York College, HACC, Millersville, Dickenson, just to start off with. All have there own focal points.

It really is what you want, and then decide from there. Truth be told, rural York and Lancaster county, in my opinion would be the cheapest to live in. All three areas are withing short distances of one another, so if you choose one, it does'nt put the other two out of play.

Reading I cannot comment on, as I think I've been there once.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 AM

Default Thanks for your posts.

Thanks for all your posts to this thread. I think me and my wife have came up to a decision. We are locking down on moving to York. There is a college that seems to meet our interests there and Baltimore is close enough to head to for some night life on the weekends. Also york seeems to have better rental listings in regards to our two dogs we have with us.

Thanks again for all your inputs!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:59 PM

167 posts, read 354,117 times
why do you hate Cheyenne?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,369 times
I've lived here (York) for 21 years, and have found it to be fine. Housing dollar is fantastic, taxes are reasonable. Great health care and less than an hour from Harrisburg (good night life there too) and Baltimore, Lancaster and even Gettysburg. There are plenty of parks, restaurants, shopping, theatres, festivals & fairs, parades. Choice of either Harrisburg or Baltimore airport, train in Lancaster can get you to NJ or NYC and back in a day. Just lots of conveniences, good schools, the 3 colleges (Penn State, HACC and York College) with Millersville, Franklin& Marshall, Dickinson and Elizabethtown in a hour radius it's a good central location. The suburbs of York are nice, the city has many good parts and points, and then some tough areas as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania