Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 10:35 PM

595 posts, read 600,155 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm going to be staying in Hershey this Friday and Saturday night. I need to be close to Hershey Park, but everything over there is looking $150+. Most of the hotel reviews for places under $100 seem to be either really inconsistent in terms of reviews (bots maybe?) or sold out this weekend.

Doesn't have to be a resort or have a pool or anything, but something clean and updated would be nice. Days Inn seems to have outdated rooms. Comfort Inn had spam/rip-off all over it. Holiday Inn Express and Super 8 are sold out.

Any recommendations? I don't know much about Hershey, but a safe area would be nice. I figured with the park being closed that the rates would be cheaper. I guess I waited too long.

Also, the only plans I really had while in town outside during my free time (after 5pm Saturday) was hitting up Troeg's. I'm guessing/hoping there's cab service in the area?

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 05:29 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Hopefully, someone who lives will will answer but in the meantime: when I've gone up that way for a visit, the hotels are expensive, do read the reviews. I used to stay at the HI Express in Lebanon which IMO is way overpriced for the "non" amenities, looks of the place, location, etc. I have never seen a cab while there, they may exist, LOL - but it's not going to be anything like Pgh. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:38 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,782,509 times
The park is open on the weekend. Hersheypark - Hersheypark In The Dark

Derry Township (the municipality that includes Hershey) would have ranked among the 15 safest cities in USA if they had included townships. Some of the hotels around the I-83/I-283/US 322 "Eisenhower Interchange" in Swatara Twp (Harrisburg postal address) have had crime issues though.

I don't think I've seen a taxi here. Troeg's is on a 5 lane road with no sidewalks, the other week I walked around the big block from the outlets, stopping there, and despite wearing a hi-viz lime green hat and not quite dark felt like I was taking my life in my hands. Multi-modality is frowned upon here. Some locals are now up in arms as they realized the walking route from downtown (such as it is) to Hersheypark just got 3/4 mile longer and is incomplete. The powers that be are still high on auto fumes thinking it's the 1970's.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:46 AM

595 posts, read 600,155 times
Good info to have. I did end up finding a place near Palmdale/Palmyra (and paid more than I wanted to), but it wasn't very easy. In case I come back to the area (which I'm sure I will), thanks for the heads up on Swatara and Hershey. I did also look into Skyline View area as well, but most of those hotels were either overpriced or had poor reviews. Seemed like all I could find was high end or low end and all the stuff in the middle price range was sold out.

I didn't think the park would be open, that's my bad. I was wondering why we were getting kicked out of the lot at 4:30pm Saturday only to come back at 7am Sunday morning, thinking the park was closed. Makes a lot more sense now.

Maybe I'll do Troeg's Friday night and the park Saturday night.

Unfortunate to hear about the taxi situation. Guess I'm only having 1 or 2 at the brewery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area