Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 05:52 PM

271 posts, read 248,162 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to the Gettysburg area for retirement in a few years. If and when we do move we would like some acreage to plant fruit trees. How is the ground for planting fruit trees and which fruit trees do well in that area? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 03:35 PM

429 posts, read 719,651 times
Default Adams County is Apple Country

I'd say any fruit trees are good for planting in the Gettysburg area. They have a huge harvest festival in early October National Apple Harvest Festival | Gettysburg PA Things to Do

A major battle of the Gettysburg campaign in the Civil War was fought in the peach orchard. So, yes, fruit trees have been growing here for a long time.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:34 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,188 times
I would suggest you get in touch with the local agricultural extension agent (call your county main office for the number). They will be able to tell you about soils as well as hardy varieties. Also sources for purchasing plants. Most likely also be able to tell you about other growers.

I was a Rutger's Master Gardener for 4 years. Pennsylvania actually started the Master Gardener program. I would suggest you ask about this program. I originally took it because I was considering growing tomatoes commercially. A phenomenal resource and a great way to meet like minded people.

Keep in mind when growing crops for profit. If you are having a good/great season with a lot of top fruit then everyone is. Prices may then be low. You have to do a lot of study before getting into the ag businesses.

You are most likely also going to need reliable/legal irrigation (permits). I would not try to grow anything in NJ without irrigation.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:53 PM

298 posts, read 482,244 times
We had some fruit trees where we live in Mass, however we are moving to Cashtown outside of Gettysburg and there are orchards all around so figure we don't need to go through the hassle of growing fruit trees. Especially since some take 5 years to be ready. Think I heard that Adams County is one of the largest fruit producing areas in US. Please forgive my ignorance if this isn't so Lots of apple trees hereabouts.

Depends on whether you are planning on growing fruit trees for the pure joy of it or to do canning.

We do a lot of canning but can do without have to take care of fruit trees, since there are a fair amount of em in the County.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:40 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,606,367 times
The area is known for its peach crops, so that's something to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
View detailed profiles of: