Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:47 PM

6 posts, read 61,942 times

Advertisements

Luckily I'm only planning an extended vacation and don't plan on staying permanently unless an employment opportunity presents itself. I guess I should have mentioned that I am able to make this move because I have no wife or kids, and a good paying job. I went straight from high school to college to work and have not taken a break since. I think the last time I had more than 9 days off was when I was 17. If I don't go now then I may never get another chance.

I've been all over the world and no place compares to Maui. It truely is paradise on earth and you should all be lucky to live there, although San Diego is not half bad. :-) Nothing stays the same and I believe economic life on the islands will improve with time. Now I just have to wait another nine months to join you all. I'll just pass the time by dreaming Maui.

Mahola and Aloha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 PM

820 posts, read 3,036,916 times
I am most certainly in a more happy place than some!

Let me explain some of my answers.... Our SD friend already stated he's not looking for regular work or long term stay. SDNative30 wrote that getting a full or part time job would be to EXTEND the stay. Sounds to me like this person has plans to come over with a lump sum to spend for a while, then will figure out if he wants to stay longer and adjust then.

So my answers are colored that way. The work at first will likely be part time, and very possibly under the table, because I'm guessing that his former "six figure" type of work doesn't exist here. So maybe work will be what he decides to try out, and maybe something working with a friend. Hence the healthcare, or maybe I should have said "first aid" costs. Also people who work for themselves need to buy their own coverage. True for me, I don't have an employer paying anything, it's what I need to calculate in my expenses.

Notice that the $40/ A DAY for fun is an averaged figure. It sounds like SDNative30 is planning on saving up for some things. Of course a Grand Wailea massage costs more than that. So does a surfboard. Saving up and going without some days is the norm for everyone who makes major purchases, including massages! A week of less fun and he's got his massage.

SDNative30, listen and learn, but don't buy into either my overly bright side or anyone else's overly dark side. Come on out and make up your own mind. Some of us are happy here, and some of us are not. It's the same everywhere. If you can afford to have the adventure, after all your year's of hard work, more power to ya. No spouse, no kids, you made good money for a long time...you are the ideal candidate to give it a try.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:43 PM

6 posts, read 61,942 times
Hilarious! "A week of less fun and he's got his massage." I couldn't have said it better myself. At least one person understood what I was saying. I was going to say something but I decided not to bother. I figured out what my "lump sum" needs to be and it's a lot. I can't single handily cure the woes of Maui, but I'm going to have fun trying. I only hope that I meet people like Calico when I'm there. New scenery, good people, and no work is exactly what the doctor ordered. I've even decided to visit for the week in August so I can verify all these claims you locals make. Look for me, I'll be the guy having fun.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDNative30 View Post
Hilarious! "A week of less fun and he's got his massage." I couldn't have said it better myself. At least one person understood what I was saying. I was going to say something but I decided not to bother. I figured out what my "lump sum" needs to be and it's a lot. I can't single handily cure the woes of Maui, but I'm going to have fun trying. I only hope that I meet people like Calico when I'm there. New scenery, good people, and no work is exactly what the doctor ordered. I've even decided to visit for the week in August so I can verify all these claims you locals make. Look for me, I'll be the guy having fun.
Aloha,
I like your outlook I almost did this when I was 22 but didnʻt and it took umm like (oh crap Iʻm old) 30 years and now Iʻm living on the BI. I think you can do this weather you get a job I donʻt know but go go go! Calico great post! Just donʻt buy a smoothie at the grand your budget will be blown. buy farmers markets and the such you can live on very little other than rent.

good luck
Koa

Old 06-09-2010, 09:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,347,365 times
That's a great reply mrwhiskers24. Sums up a lot of what is indeed awaiting people in Hawaii. We're thinking of returning, and it helps to hear reminders like yours. SDNative30 will be exempt from much of this, as he won't have kids in school or a job, so it's a different world. Like those rich folks you mention, I don't have an inkling of what that's about, never having been rich. But I was once young and had plenty of energy, so SDNative30 may do fine. For a while anyway. Sounds like fun!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Garbage pick-up; people in Hawaii don't pay for garbage service. If you are getting a bill for trash pick-up you are being ripped off (it's the states responsibility though we pay inadvertently with our taxes).
Gee, I'm not sure where you live, but here on Maui we pay for garbage service. It's by the County of Maui, their Refuse Collection department.
Maui County, HI - Official Website - Refuse Collection Information (http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?nid=766 - broken link)

Of course it isn't mandatory, you could take your refuse to the dump on your own. And of course we recycle a lot, we take that to the recycle center ourselves. Is that what you mean?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,301,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Gee, I'm not sure where you live, but here on Maui we pay for garbage service. It's by the County of Maui, their Refuse Collection department.
Maui County, HI - Official Website - Refuse Collection Information (http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?nid=766 - broken link)

Of course it isn't mandatory, you could take your refuse to the dump on your own. And of course we recycle a lot, we take that to the recycle center ourselves. Is that what you mean?
I currently live on Oahu but am from Kauai. County picks up the curbside trash weekly on both islands and there is no charge.

When I read something (like your statement about health insurance in Hawaii and employment) that needs further clarification for those of us who don't have the ability to read between the OP's lines I like to clarify. Hawaii has always been touted a great state for health care because of the employer mandate and it's good to put that info out there for the people who aren't planning on working under the table.

It's all good.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:24 AM

Thanks, how interesting that Maui charges but those other two counties don't. I had no idea that other islands weren't paying, good to know.

I guess we just disagree about the likelihood of paid healthcare. A lot of regularly paid workers here are kept at just under the 20 hours per week so that their employers can avoid the costs. It's been an issue in the news for larger employers like Walmart.

An employee's share, by law, can be up to half the premium, but not more than 1.5 percent of their wages. Dependents are not required to be covered.

But it is great that some employers will cover more or all of their employees healthcare, and it sounds like yours did. Guess those I know (with the exception of one real estate broker) just haven't been hired by that type of employer, or perhaps it's another island difference? Maui doesn't have much in the way of corporate/office work, and those types of places often offer more benefits than visitor/service/labor. I would guess that union jobs also have more benefits.

What type of work was it where the employers paid for your insurance?

Old 06-10-2010, 02:59 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,234,490 times
I don't live on Maui, but I've had several job offers on Oahu with a 1099 status = no benefits. This is another way employers avoid providing healthcare (or paying ss/medicare tax, unemployment ins. or 401K)

For any law made, there are corporate attorneys working tirelessly to circumvent them!

Old 06-10-2010, 04:25 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,301,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I don't live on Maui, but I've had several job offers on Oahu with a 1099 status = no benefits. This is another way employers avoid providing healthcare (or paying ss/medicare tax, unemployment ins. or 401K)

For any law made, there are corporate attorneys working tirelessly to circumvent them!
Yes; there are many independent contractors (1099 status) in many aspects of the economy. These people pay no taxes, social security or medicaid. I believe there is an annual excise tax assessed yearly (usually a small amount).

Look ladies; all I did was comment on how fortunate Hawaii is to be a state where employer health based insurance is mandated. It's a good thing right? If you want to argue about health care start a new thread.

SD; sounds like you got it together and I know you'll have a good time

Later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii