Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 9,149 times

Advertisements

We are here, in Hawaii to study from foreign country. I would like to know how we could become Hawaii residents. What are the requirements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 04:35 PM

682 posts, read 2,793,881 times
You cannot become a Hawaii resident unless you are already a US citizen. From your post, it sounds like you are not.

If you are a citizen and want to establish residency for tuition purposes, it takes at least a year. You should check with your school. UH has information online here, for example:
University of Hawaii at Manoa Catalog
(scroll down to "residency for tuition purposes")

Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
For what purpose?

You are a Hawaii Resident when you legally change your place of residence to Hawaii, including all official documents. But that is only resident as in where you are living. Ifa foreign student attending school in Kansas, your a kansas resident for immigration purpose. When you move to Hawaii, you have to tell them your in Hawaii, so you become a resident of Hawaii for address purposes.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:29 PM

15 posts, read 41,816 times
I'd also think you would have to get a hawaii drivers license.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 PM

The OP mentioned being here "to study," so I assumed it was residency for tuition purposes. It has no real meaning other than that. You can get your license and register to vote and such if you get a bank account with a local address, basically.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:06 PM

124 posts, read 431,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
The OP mentioned being here "to study," so I assumed it was residency for tuition purposes. It has no real meaning other than that. You can get your license and register to vote and such if you get a bank account with a local address, basically.
I don't believe this is entirely correct. The UH regents created a system that outlines the specific definition and protocal for defining who is eligable resident and qualifies for resident tuition. This includes federal and state tax status of the student and their parent. If the majority of your living and educational expenses are supported from outside Hawai'i (i.e., your parents declare you as a dependent), you are considered a non-resident. They can and will request copies of tax statements. I highly suggest students pursuing Hawai'i residency tuition status vigorously investigate this issue prior to attempting to apply for Hawai'i resident tuition.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammasubi View Post
I don't believe this is entirely correct. The UH regents created a system that outlines the specific definition and protocal for defining who is eligable resident and qualifies for resident tuition. This includes federal and state tax status of the student and their parent. If the majority of your living and educational expenses are supported from outside Hawai'i (i.e., your parents declare you as a dependent), you are considered a non-resident. They can and will request copies of tax statements. I highly suggest students pursuing Hawai'i residency tuition status vigorously investigate this issue prior to attempting to apply for Hawai'i resident tuition.
I don't see what you're disagreeing with. What I said is:

- The notion of "resident" is pretty meaningless except for student purposes. Your'e talking about student purposes.

- To get the *other* (i.e. non-student) "benefits" of being a resident requires almost nothing other than a prove-able local address.

- I provided a link above to the UH rules, which are pretty restrictive, yes.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:05 PM

124 posts, read 431,761 times
newUHprof WROTE:
"I don't see what you're disagreeing with. What I said is:....."

I am sorry. I was wrong in attempting to disagree with your post. I should have been more careful when reading the previous posts you were referencing. You are 100% correct and my post supported your initial post. Better I go back and sit under my rock for a while.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Another aspect of residency that many are not aware of until they run into it: If you own real estate in Hawai'i and sell it, if you are not a resident the state will assess a 10% tax on any profit you made on the sale.

The way the IRS defines your residency is where you actually live at least half the year. People who are financially dependent on their parents are the only ones who can declare their parent's home as their residency without actually living there.

"Residency" for in-state tuition purposes is entirely different, and varies from state to state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii