Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:07 PM

145 posts, read 491,770 times

Advertisements

^ Very helpful info. I found a home for them that would be a "dream home", but sadly, it is out of their price range. It has a very " Hawaiian old school" feel to it, and the Lanai looked amazing. It looks conveinet to everything, with everything being in close proximity.
Could you ride your bike to the grocery store in say, Hanalei, Kauai? Are there parks up in the North Shore as well? What about Hawaiian Art galleries? They are your mid 30's couple, that are have been together for 15 years, listen to Joni Mitchell records, and want surf, paint. Both are SLOW drivers(as I have said), but both needed a creative outlet to help others(i.e. Habitate for Humanity, Soup Kitchens). This couple loves giving back and participating in non-profit organizations. Also, while they are educators, they tend to sleep in more than you know. I know, North Shore of Kauai is probably right up this couples alley, but what things to do? I think they do want some stuff to do and enjoy. It definetely looks like they could thrive on either one. What about Upcountry Maui, like Makawao?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:43 PM

649 posts, read 3,448,271 times
Hanalei has a natural foods place. You could bike there or to the Foodland in Princeville (a few miles). There are things to do in Hanalei. Not so much up in Haena. Big things (concerts, plays) are rare, but they do happen - mostly in Lihue, at KCC near Lihue, some things happen at the Church of the Pacific in P'ville, or down in Kapaa. Nearest movie theater is in Lihue.

They might also like Hanapepe, it's a small 'artists colony' out past Kalaheo, on the way to the west side. Only art, really, not much by way of performing arts there, I don't think.

We had a pro comedy team perform last week; there are jazz festivals a couple times/year. A few plays now and then, 'festivals' a few times/year (e.g., coconut festival, tahitian festival). There are bon dances in the summer at the Buddhist temples. Just a few things I thought of. Some really nice folks do great slack key guitar concerts every Friday in Hanalei, they have a following among locals as well as visitors.

If they're thinking of Kauai they should come visit for a couple of weeks and look around. Deals can be had on homes, but they'll probably want a condo if they don't have at least $450K to spend.

C.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 AM

^ they do have that and more to spend. The couple is looking at houses in the 600-800,000 range. Again, your probably are wondering how my friend and his wife are able to do this on meager educators salaries. Simple, they came from families with Type A and very money hungry personalities. They went to Maui for their honeymoon, and fell in love with it. Lahaina has tons of stuff to do, there is the Tsunami club at the Grand Wailea. Lots of restaurants(more than Kaua'i, I believe), and they also have some cool shows in Maui such as Ulalena, The Maui Cultural Arts Center, the incredible Warren and Annabelles magic show, and some good atmosphere at Moose McGillycuddys for live music. I don't know if its that Jack Johnson- Bruddah Iz music that they both love, but I've heard great things. Another thing I have researched for them is a place called Horizons Academy of Haiku which is a Special Education school. My friend teaches special ed, and would love to volunteer with activites with the deaf and blind, Aspergers and Autism, and help work on Life Skills in the community with these people. They both would be such an asset to the community.
Also, they have two Shetland Sheepdogs and a tabby cat. So, while I know they would be fine with a condo, I somehow don't think the animals would give that a thumbs up

Old 08-19-2010, 11:12 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,949,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vox View Post
Could you ride your bike to the grocery store in say, Hanalei, Kauai? Are there parks up in the North Shore as well? What about Hawaiian Art galleries? They are your mid 30's couple, that are have been together for 15 years, listen to Joni Mitchell records, and want surf, paint. Both are SLOW drivers(as I have said), but both needed a creative outlet to help others(i.e. Habitate for Humanity, Soup Kitchens). This couple loves giving back and participating in non-profit organizations. Also, while they are educators, they tend to sleep in more than you know. I know, North Shore of Kauai is probably right up this couples alley, but what things to do? I think they do want some stuff to do and enjoy.
Here is a web page I put together about Kauai's North Shore.

It includes links to event schedules from The Hawaii Visitors Bureau, Best Places Hawaii, the Princeville Community Center, etc., plus videos, maps and links to companies that offer things to do, like snorkeling, diving, sport fishing ziplining, etc. There are also some webcams, one of which is right in the center of Hanalei. If your friends wander around here for a while (it takes QUITE a while) they will get a good flavor of the place:

Princeville Information (http://www.visitprinceville.info/Princeville_Information.html - broken link)

Hank

Old 08-19-2010, 01:22 PM

^ Thanks Hank

Old 08-21-2010, 07:02 PM

69 posts, read 235,938 times
Someone mentioned Hanapepe and Kapaa above, and the North Shore sounds perfect.
I am just curious if Koloa or Poipu might work for people looking for a similar lifestyle as this couple?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii