Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 752 times

Advertisements

Tenant gave ME 28 days notice on Maui. Suppose they do not move out on said date?
Can I call the police to have them leave? How can I get them out???
legally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 07:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkamaui View Post
Tenant gave ME 28 days notice on Maui. Suppose they do not move out on said date?
Can I call the police to have them leave? How can I get them out???
legally
No. You take them to court.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:21 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,513 times
I have taken 2 landlords to court and won. You are right; 28 day notice for month to month with no lease for the tenant. It would've been nice of you to let them know, but not legally necessary. Since you are moving off island, it would be to your benefit to make peace with them. You have one year post event to sue in small claims, but it is "you" that must sue. I have investigated trying to get a proxy to sue for other friends, but the law doesn't say anything about that. If you read carefully, the statutes do say it doesn't have to be according to the date you pay rent or moved in to give notice to move.

To add to your woes the landlord has 14 days post vacate to return your deposit, or give you a list/reason why some or all is being withheld. Giving notice to vacate is not a reason. Short of coming back to go to court within one year, it sounds like you have no solution.

You (in the future), need to have better communication with your landlord. They are people and need time to re-rent the place. You could have negotiated to use your deposit for the last month's rent (anyone who says you can't do that doesn't know the law) or you could have informed them you were at least thinking/investigating a move.

As long as you gave them the written notice you are legal. You can not tell them, email them, text, etc... You needed to write it out on paper and hand it to them in person. Emails, texts, are legal in court, but not for giving notice to vacate. Also, you can't sue them until they withhold your deposit 14 days after you have vacated the premises.

Communication is key...are you moving off island. sorry if that was a presumption.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,513 times
You are not moving off island...so you're ok as long as you negotiate a walk thru with the landlord before the date you move out. If they don't show up take pics of the whole thing (I'm know you took pics when moving in). Make sure they get the keys back. As I said, you have a year to sue in small claims (no lawyers allowed in small claims to represent anyone). In Hawaii you can sue for 3 times the deposit if they keep it from you without cause. Don't burn bridges...you never know when you might need their help plus, they will be a future rental reference for you.

Keep a journal of all events, and write it all down as soon as possible. Normal wear and tear is just that. No need paint; that's the landlord's job. If you do leave with things unsettled keep an eye out to see when the unit is rented again. I had one landlord try to get 6 months of rent out of me. I knew he had rented the place a week after I left and had the proof with me. They must mitigate their circumstances; they just can't sit on the ***** and try to take money from you. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii