Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 02:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,514,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7777 View Post
- if it were possible to ensure the waste did not contaminate the ocean in the process, maybe it could be used to create a new Island, on which people could eventually live, etc.
I think that "if" is the crux of the matter. Shoreline waters in Hawai'i are ecologically sensitive, and the challenges of building a waste disposal facility out into the water in such a way that no contamination could leak out, under any conditions, seem insurmountable to me. Look how hard it is proving to achieve that on solid ground on Oahu.

My personal belief is that the only viable solution in the long term is through much more comprehensive recycling. I mean sure, the Big Island could just haul the garbage a little further, and start piling it up on the fresh lava fields near Kalapana, 'cause who cares if it gets burned up in a new eruption?... and perhaps one day adding a third peak to the skyline... Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea, and Mauna Yucko... but at some time in the future we'll inevitably have to switch our focus from Waste Removal to Resource Recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii