Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:33 PM

145 posts, read 491,497 times

Advertisements

ALOHA Everyone,

My freind and his wife are back after 2 weeks of looking at various properties on Kauai, Maui and the Big Island of Hawai'i. The verdict? First let me express how thankful and humbled I am at all of you who helped with questions regarding my freinds search. I will break down each island that they visited, and talk about the positive things they enjoyed.

Maui- This is where my friend and his wife first stopped. They looked at houses in Kihei, Wailea and Hana(yes, I know, rather different all of them are). They loved the warm balmy weather, they loved the conviniences that were available to them in Kahului. However, they said that it was as if all of the people in OC and LA decided to take their vacation there. They found Wailea nice, but a little intimidating with the mentality from some of the people. They said it felt like Southern California all over again, with the designer labels. They want to avoid all of that like the plague. They fell in love with Hana, loved the people loved the house that they saw, but sadly it was a little too far from the supermarket for their liking.

Kauai- The minute they got off the plane, my friend and his wife said, 'It was like coming home to a place for the first time, but it feeling like home." They said while Kauai didn't offer quite as much as Maui did in some areas, they loved how much more laid-back the entire atmosphere felt. Even around the Poipu my friend didn't feel like it was a "fashion show" or a "an OC stomping ground". They very much liked Poipu. They then drove up to the North Shore area of Kauai, and absolutely fell in love with the people that lived there. They said its slower pace fit them perfectly. However, they were unsure about it, since it seemed more restaurants and ammenities(such as Costco), would be much easier to access in say Poipu, Koloa or Kapaa. They left getting with a sense of renewed spirit.

Big Island- They visited a place called Waimea, and were very impressed. They loved how laid back it was, and how many available outdoor activities would be available to them. They love hiking and nature, and seemed to have a lot of activities available to them there. Although as my friend said to me, "Nothing beat the beauty of Kauai's North Shore".

As of now, my friend and his wife have

Waimea, Big Island
Hanalei, Kauai
Anini, Kauai
Koloa, Kauai
Poipu, Kauai

As their choices. For those unfamilar they are like a quiet meditating couple that enjoys nature, walking, reading and swimming. It looks like Kauai is the major leader for them in their housing pursuit. Any reccomendations on them. They want the peace and quiet, but still fairly close to the convinence of going to the supermarket and getting things they need(Costco, Vegetarian market). Also would like to know if one area is better for Dogs(Shetland Sheepdogs) than another?

Mahalo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 07:17 PM

6 posts, read 19,596 times
My vote is for Hanalei, Kauai !!! I was born and raised in Hawaii and have visited every island. I live on the mainland now and go back to visit everytime I can. Having been to all the spots your friends visited I would agree with them that there is a feeling of "being home" once you get off the plane in Kauai. Poipu , in my opinon is not as nice as hanalei and can be overrun with tourist. That is where they tend to gather since there is a resort there. Best of luck to them !

Old 09-02-2010, 08:00 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,309,931 times
As my status above may indicate, I'm a big fan of Waimea on the Big Island. The community here is so diverse...from paniolo (cowboy) culture, to organic farms, to the Kahilu Theatre.

There are two easily accessible grocery stores, a natural food store, and several farmers markets. If they didn't discover Sandwich Island Bread Company while they were here, I can almost guarantee that just tasting the bread and knowing you can find it every Tuesday at Kekela Farm on Mana Road or at the Saturday Parker School Market will influence how your friends feel about Waimea!

Plus, there's easy access to great Kohala coast beaches and the option of driving to Volcano Village or to the East side or Kona when you need a change of pace.

Waimea is where my heart is and I feel very lucky to be spending more of my time here, but I understand the appeal of Kauai too. (How much of a factor will cost be? I don't keep up with Kauai numbers too closely, but I'm guessing Waimea is more affordable.)

Old 09-02-2010, 08:54 PM

^ I will have to ask them about that when I talk to them again. Again, They LOVE LOVE LOVE Hanalei with a passion, and felt very welcome upon going there. They absolutely loved how mellow everything was. The only question was conviences that would be easier in Koloa or Poipu. However, if they had a place like Down to Earth(Hawaiian Vegetarian Supermarket) I think Lihue to Hanalei could be a drive.

Waimea they loved. They didn't feel out of place and at all, and loved how people would walk around. They both love riding horses and this gave them some great opportunities. I also hear its a phenomenal place to raise a family. How far would this be from Hawai'i Prepatory Academy? They are thinking of adopting his niece, whose family has had some severe health issues, so that school looks rather quality. Waimea also lwas very unmaterialistic they said, which is a HUGE plus in their eyes, since they are trying to avoid anything where that vaccous subculture is. They also said Waimea seemed to be a better place for their dogs, than Hanalei, and closer to things such as movie theaters, bowling, miniature golfing, hiking.
The said that Waimea was very diverse and ecclectic which they loved, and loved how "old school" the feel of the town was.

Plus for Waimea, Hawaii...according

1. Opportunities-Hiking, Driving, Swimming
2. Great Place to Raise a Family
3. Hawaii Prepatory Academy- Considered one of the best institutions for K-12 in Hawaii.
4. Lots of opportunites to see different cultures
5. Less expensive than North Shore Kauai, and less remote

Kauai
1. Extremly Quiet....minus the feral chickens...haha
2. Very Tropical
3. Great Beaches
4. Unspoiled Beauty
5. Very Romantic

It sounds like Waimea, Hawaii and Hanalei, Kauai are the two choices right now.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,415,363 times
Hanalei is one of my favorite spots too!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 PM

649 posts, read 3,447,140 times
Re: Kauai - I agree with another poster, forget Poipu. Koloa, maybe. But if they like North Shore, well, there is a Foodland right in Princeville. Certainly closer to Hanalei than Costco is to Koloa/Poipu. And there's a natural foods store right in Hanalei.

It will be a trek to Costco or anything in Lihue; most folks up in Hanalei plan their trips so they're only going down past Kapaa once or twice/week. There is LOTS of hiking on Kauai, north of Kapaa, and lots around Wailua also.

They might consider (as I think I mentioned once before) the Wailua Homesteads area, up Kuamoo Road (which is just south of Kapaa). It's gorgeous, cool, lots of great hiking up there, rural (i.e., they can be isolated at home), but very convenient for errands, whether to Kapaa or Lihue. Neither the north shore (Hanalei/Anini/Kilauea/Anahola) nor the south shore (Koloa/Poipu) is too far away. There are horses around here, there is a 'healing horses' organization, places to ride or keep your horse if you have one.

I live in the Wailua Homesteads, a little farther down toward the beach than I think your friends would want to be (but maybe not), and I too LOVE the Waimea area on the Big Island. We, too, felt at home here immediately, and our instincts have not proven wrong. True, too, that the Big Island is undoubtedly cheaper for housing than Kauai, but some real bargains are available now for buying or leasing, all over this island.

HPA is a great school but, I understand, expensive. Here on Kauai, there is Island School, which is very good also, and probably a bit cheaper (not sure). It is also K-12. It doesn't have the 'rep' of HPA but the faculty and admin really work hard to help each kid realize his or her potential. Many of their graduates attend top-tier colleges all around the country. It's in Puhi which is near Costco, but there are buses to all parts of the island.

Just some more info for your friends. If they want to contact me directly, DM me and I'll give you my email for them.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,081,755 times
Waimea will most likely be cooler than Kauai since it's at a much higher elevation. During the winter time, folks in Waimea are all wearing long sleeved shirts, jackets and long pants. In Hanalei, they would be much warmer since Hanalei is at sea level.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:24 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,529,395 times
I don't get it.
They are trying to avoid anything that reminds them of Southern California but need a Costco?
They want to be away from hustle and bustle of city life but complain about the distance to supermarkets and lack of restaurants and amenities?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 AM

^ People have to eat. Also, they would prefer a mom and pop vegetarian market like Down to Earth over a Costco any day of the week. How is the Vog in Waimea? Is it bad? They love seasons...so long as they don't have to put chains and drive in the snow. That would not work for them...haha.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:38 AM

Well...its offical. They have put in an offer on a beautiful home in the beautiful city of.... Kamuela, Hawaii on the Big Island. hey loved the ruralness, and all that the Big Island offered. They also loved that it seemed to have an "Old Hawaiin" charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii