Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,606,266 times

Advertisements

Most hotels have their dining options online. You can also arrange to have lobsters flown to your hotel, and I'm sure the kitcken would prepare them to your order. I'd recommend this. Perhpas a place like Key Fisheries for shrimp; they also ship. You would get a much better quality of shellfish doing this, though it is extra work. Depends on how important quality of ingredients are to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 11:18 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,084,719 times
Hey, forget about the hotels, can we have these lobsters and shrimps flown to our houses? Or pick them up at the airport? What places are these that ship tasty stuff like this? We don't have any overnight delivery to the islands other than perhaps Oahu, though. Wonder if that would be a problem. These folks can box up a Maine lobster and mail it? Who are they?

Hmm, my post mistress is already used to giving us boxes that chirp when we get the chicks shipped in from the mainland. I wonder what she would think of boxes that went "scritch, scritch" of little lobster feet arrived at her window?

Well, I just checked about a dozen sites and they all had the "no shipping to Hawaii or Alaska" note on them. Most of them said because of lack of overnight shipping, although one site also added this: Shipments to Hawaii of Live Lobster or Live Shellfish now require import permits. You can obtain more information from The Hawaii Department of Agriculture. We will need a copy of your import permit before we can ship any live product into Hawaii. Guess we will have to stick to grocery store $20 a pound lobster or go catch slipper lobsters ourselves.

The predominate delivery service mentioned was FedEx which is ungawdly expensive in Hawaii so shipping in expensive food with the most expensive shipping option just pretty well puts this over the top. Sigh! Guess I'll just have to go fishing.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 10-08-2010 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-08-2010, 02:32 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, I just checked about a dozen sites and they all had the "no shipping to Hawaii or Alaska" note on them.
Maine Lobster Direct - Shipping Fresh Live Maine Lobsters

This place says they ship to Hawaii, and after I put in my Kailua zip code, they were happy to take my credit card.

I quit there. $40 ea for a small lobster is too rich for my blood.

Hank

Old 01-16-2011, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 820 times
Default We also ship live lobster to Hawaii

But insist that you obtain the proper permits from the Hawaii DOA first. Please check us out: [url=http://www.overnightlobster.com]Live Maine Lobster | Buy Lobster | Overnight Lobster Delivery[/url] The shipping isn't as expensive as you might think; its pretty reasonable.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:53 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,493,235 times
Frankly, this isn't the place I think of when I think of shellfish. Most shellfish srved here, as other posters have mentioned, is flown in from other parts of the world.

Why not instead avail yourself of what ARE the local specialties here... fresh ahi, ono, butterfish, and other local-caught fish. Grass fed island beef. Luau pork. These are the things that you can't find very easily anywhere else. And most hotels that offer room service are going to have at least some of these on their menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii